“Great place to stay for a conference or business trip.”

Hilton Palacio del Rio
Ranked #13 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 24 October 2012 via mobile

This is a convenient hotel with clean rooms, upscale bathroom, with nice views. The location is ideal by the riverwalk and convention center. The downsides are that the pool area is not that great, mostly in the shade this time of year at least, and just kind of blah, just some chairs and the pool. The elevator button technology, a keypad outside the set of elevators, was silly and at times inconvenient. But for a future business meeting, I would definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank tzeug
Write a ReviewReviews (3,031)

Reviewed 22 October 2012

The Palacio del Rio is located right on the Riverwalk, and isn't that the reason that you're in San Antonio? To make it better, it's actually on a section of the riverwalk that provides a nice balance of activity and quiet. Some of the hotels that are right above the cluster of popular restaurants and bars open right onto a congested sidewalk in the evening. The HPdR just over a little bridge from the craziness, but it's not on the quiet and secluded backside of the Riverwalk near the Drury. There are several different bars and restaurants attached to the hotel, and some GREAT ones right next door.

On check in, the front desk staff was friendly. Bless their hearts, the computer system was going down, so I know their day had been crazy, and they were still smiling and polite to me and the other waiting guests. The street side lobby is nice, cozy and welcoming. My room was lovely. It was on the fifth floor, facing the "Patio Terrace" which gave it a little gated off porch to sit on in the morning. Pretty nice for someone who's not exactly a Hilton high-flyer! The decor in the room was modern but warm. I really liked it. Large bathroom with nice amenities, too.

I slept like a log after a steak dinner and quick lap around the Riverwalk. My room was cool and quiet, and the bed was comfortable.

I would LOVE to stay here again if I get to travel to SA again. I only stayed one night, and it was way too short!

Room Tip: The even number rooms face the Riverwalk (at least on the fifth floor).
1  Thank lcking82
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Really nice hotel! Beautiful and the service was friendly and excellent, especially the bell boys. I think that the Hilton's location is second only to the Hyatt-- very good location. It has the only sports bar on the Riverwalk where we enjoyed watching football Saturday. Breakfast was good at their restaurant. Everything was very clean and done to perfection. One thing to note ( which we found out late) is that they have a sign saying to allow 30 minutes for the valet to get your car. We hadn't noticed the sign and didn't make the allowance. It didn't take them 30 mintues, thank goodness, or we would have been late for our dinner reservation. They had a whole lot more car activity at valet parking then you usually see at hotels.

Room Tip: Allow time for the valets.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank nanstevens
Reviewed 18 October 2012

I booked an anniversary trip for myself and husband and my parents. The hotel I booked gave my room away. So there we were with my elderly parents and no room. We happened into the Palacio Del Rio and explained our situation. Erica took excellent care of us and even apologized for the other hotel by giving us a free dinner in their fabulous Ibiza restaurant! The rooms were wonderful with the best view ever and private balconies. Every time we encountered a staff member, we were greeted with a big hello and how are you. Everyone was wonderfully nice an genuine. You saved my anniversary and that other hotel did me a favor by giving away my room! This will be my go-to hotel for San Antonio, anytime!!

Room Tip: The elevator system was a bit tricky, but was we were given the "how to" by the staff.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joe H
Reviewed 17 October 2012

This hotel probably has what you're looking for, no matter what type of vacation you're on. My wife and I stayed here on the nights from Oct 11, 2012 until Oct 14, 2012. I like history, she likes shopping, we both love atmosphere. LaVillita? next door, Rivercenter Mall? a block, convention center? across the street, Hemisfair Park? across the street, Tower of the Americas? in Hemisfair park, Alamo? two blocks, Mercado? about 8 blocks, Spanish Governor's Palacio?, about 6 blocks. river taxi/river tour? in front of the hotel. These are all easy walks, (keeping in mind we're old folks.)
The Hotel's lower level opens directly on the Riverfront, and makes it very easy to get to all of the restaurants and clubs the riverfront has to offer. We walked up and down the area looking for "something different" for dinner and often found ourselves frequently eating at the hotel's Ibiza restaurant. The food was great, the prices very reasonable, and the service spectacular. When you plant your butt for dinner, ask if Sierra is working, she'll give you great service, a smile, and workable advice about what you need to know to make your stay even more enjoyable.

Room Tip: The hotel faces almost exactly east/west. If you want morning sun and city view from your balcony, s...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gone2day
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Just a short note to recommend the outstanding customer service I recently enjoyed while staying at this Hilton. In particular ther service offered by Shiela both in the Hotel and at the sports bar by the river walk was nothing short of inspirational. Thank you for making my stay so enjoyable!

Reviewed 14 October 2012

This hotel is in great walking distance to the Almo, downtown, Rivercenter mall and river walk. It is even walking distance to Market square - if you can walk 1-2 miles at a time.

The staff is friendly. It is clean. The only thing that I noticed is the road noise. We stayed on the 14th floor. I slept with ear plugs in and could still hear the traffic below. The entire outside wall is windows with a balcony. I don't know if the RiverWalk side is quieter or not - I would think so.

Room Tip: Perhaps River walk side - might be less street noise. Higher floors would help, too.