“Will Be Even Better When Renovation is Comlete”

Hilton Palacio del Rio
Ranked #13 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Little Rock, Arkansas
“Will Be Even Better When Renovation is Comlete”
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Space is definitely a little cramped right now at the front desk but was always greeted promptly. Check in was not until 3:00 but there was a room available at 10:45. The elevator is a touch screen from the outside so it states which car to get on (only open, close and emergency on the inside). It took some getting used to but seemed to move quickly. The rooms were cool. I really enjoyed the bathroom/closet slide door that also has frosted glass panes. The closet also has a motion timer which works well when getting up in the middle of the night. The wood floor/furniture contrast well with the modern fixtures. I even enjoyed the daylight curtain! The gym had good equipment (free-weights, benches, mats, balls and cardio) and even provided fruit snacks for a post-workout boost. It is right across the street from the convention center and next door to La Villita. The coffee brand in the room was even upgraded the last day (I did not care much for the coffee available the other three mornings). Luggage can be held at checkout. The drawbacks would be the pool size for the number of rooms and no airport shuttle ($30 each way before tip), and the door to the patio does not seal the best (you can hear the people on the River Walk and in the restaurants below if you do not have the tv on in the evening).

Room Tip: Avoid the 5th floor as it is the location of the fitness center, pool, and an outdoor event area.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (646)
Carrollton, Texas
Reviewed 27 June 2013

My wife and brought our grandkids for a mid-week stay as a treat. The hotel is right on the Riverwalk which is great fun for young children to explore. The hotel is warm and inviting, reflective of San Antonio. It's also very convenient to the Alamo which is a short walk away.

Pros: Great location for the Alamo, the Riverwalk, or business downtown. The rooms are fresh, comfortable, and attractive. We had adjoining rooms with a common door with my grandkids, which is great if you travel with little ones but still want privacy at the end of the day. The pool was good - just large enough for the to work off excess energy.

Cons: $40.00 for valet parking?! Really?!! The pampering is supposed to go for me, not my car.

Room Tip: Select a room on the river. Street noise comes through the balcony windows.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
BGSanAntonio, Director of Sales at Hilton Palacio del Rio, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Thank you so much for treating your grandchildren at the Hilton! We are delighted you had a great time and enjoyed our location and amenities! We also appreciate your feedback concerning our valet parking charges. We will share these comments with the team as we evaluate future pricing options. Thank you again and we look forward to having you back again sometime soon.
Newtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 June 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay here. I arrived the night the Spurs lost the championship so it was a bit noisy. However when we closed the door to our balcony we could hardly hear a thing. The room was cleaned wonderfully every day. Spotless with chocolates each day. The bathroom had sliding glass doors and a bowl sink. I was impressed! I will stay here again if I'm ever in San Antonio again.

• Stayed June 2013
Clarksville, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I am a frequent user of the Hilton chain of hotels and have stayed at many this summer for business and pleasure. This was the least pleasurable of all of them.

Our room had an odor and was hot. The hallway outside our door was more comfortable. I asked the front desk about this. The odor problem was not addressed; a repair person was sent to check the air and a discount was taken off of one night's lodging. While the air coming out of the fan registered at 63 degrees, the vent was small and the fan did not run as needed to cool the entire room. This made the room particularly uncomfortable when coming in from the 90+ outside temperatures. I had to shower to get comfortable We were told to keep our curtain shut. I was unable to view any other rooms, so I don't know if this situation was particular to our room.

As part of the Hilton frequent traveler program, we were treated to breakfast each day but that was it. Every other Hilton we stayed at this summer upgraded us to a better room with many amenities. We were not afforded this privilege at the Palacio del Rio. I had to ask for Internet to receive that amenity.

The breakfast was plentiful but the service was extremely poor. I had to ask someone everyday of our stay to come to our table and then they seemed put out to do this. The main reason for my request was to get a glass of water. The only drink provided without server assistance was coffee. Prices for food were extremely expensive so we would not have eaten without the breakfast coupons.

The main reason to stay here is the hotel's location to the Convention Center and the River Walk.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for being a loyal Hilton HHonors member and taking the time to tell us about your recent visit. I am sorry the air conditioner in your room did not function properly and am asking our engineering department to take another look. This should not have happened with our recent renovations. We will also share your comments about the restaurant service to improve in this area. Again, I am sorry we did not meet your expectations and hope to regain your trust the next time you visit.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 June 2013

My girlfriend and I had a 1 night stay at the Hilton on 5/3/13 and were very happy with our choice. The location was great. You could literally step out of the hotel onto the Riverwalk and we were only 2 blocks from the Alamo and Rivercenter Mall. We were within walking distance from everything... just bring some comfortable shoes. We never had to get back into the car until it was time to check out. Also, our king size bed that was very comfortable. We got a great night's sleep. I also highly recommend the valet parking even though it's $27 a day. Only a couple of drawbacks... The room was nice but could have had a few more amenities. Also, while each room has it's own balcony, the view from our room wasn't very impressive. Our room was on the opposite side of the hotel that faced the Riverwalk so all we saw was the Alamodome. Also, the pool and jacuzzi looked much bigger in the pictures than they actually were.

Room Tip: upper floor looking east
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cesar a
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 19 June 2013

The renovations are incredible. Stayed on the 12th floor and was really impressed with the room decor, awesome reading lamps and very modern bathroom fixtures. I wish all Hilton's were this nice. Terrific workout area on the 5th floor with an outdoor pool overlooking the river. Well done Hilton. The only downside is the valet parking - the city really sticks it to travelers by charging $39 per night.

Room Tip: Request the 12 th floor.
1 Thank danrist
BGSanAntonio, Director of Sales at Hilton Palacio del Rio, responded to this review, 24 June 2013
Thank you for staying with us recently! We very much appreciate all the great comments about our hotel and that you enjoyed our recent renovated property. We will share your comments with the team! We look forward to having you back the next time you visit San Antonio.
Natchitoches, Louisiana
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I brought my family with me to my work convention and we stayed at this hotel. I don't think I have ever had a better business trip to a hotel. The rooms were clean and very well kept. Convention food was very good. Staff was great and very accommodating. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for staying with us during your recent conference. I am glad you had the chance to share your visit with your family. We very much appreciate the positive feedback about the hotel and your interaction with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time travels bring you to the Alamo city!