“San Antonio”

Hilton Palacio del Rio
Ranked #13 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We had a good time while in San Antonio. This is the second time we've stayed at this hotel and found the staff very friendly and helpful. We would choose to stay here again if we were to visit San Antonio.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed 18 March 2014

Perfectly situated to be on the River walk where all the action is! There are a couple of restaurants right on the river walk on the lower level of the hotel and across the bridge is the river boat ride. It's a fun way to see the river for around $8. You are near tons of restaurants and the Alamo.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank CKM1991

Negatives:
1. This hotel has been refurbished, but poorly done --the hallways are dark and very low-ceilinged.
2. The room décor looks like it is straight from the 1970's - lots of heavy, dark wood (in stripes or strips) and striped carpeting. It's ugly.
3. We were there for a week. My husband was at the convention hall across the street. If you have an odd numbered room, chances are you will not be overlooking the river walk; your view will be the expansive, ugly roof of a huge building.
4. The floor was not level.
5. The balcony was accessible. The tiles were chipped and broken. I would be terrified to have children stay in those rooms. The balcony did not appear to have the railings close enough together to eliminate a child from falling through.
6. The phone kept ringing at odd times. Not fun at 2:00 am. The friendly repairman arrived and finally determined that "the problem was in the line." We just unplugged the phones to eliminate the problem.
7. Apparently, this hotel wants to conserve electricity. They attempted to do so by installing electric-eye sensors in the bathroom and in the closet area. My husband would sit at the desk, make a movement, and that stupid light would turn on, then shut off after a bit. We mentioned this to the friendly repairman, but his suggestion was to remove the light bulb in the closet. The repairman is the one who told us that these lights were installed to save electricity, but all they did was make people mad. (The closet did have a safe which was nice.)
8. The closet and bathroom are side-by-side. With only one rolling door between them. Not good. Imagine a family with a couple of teenagers trying to get ready to go somewhere. There is no tub, just a shower. There are granite countertops and fake wood floors in the bath/entry area, although nice, don't make up for the poor function design.
9. There is no microwave oven. There is a very small "refrigerator" that functions more like a cooler. So don't bother to bring leftovers back to the room.
10. The "coffeemaker" was splattered with the previous guest's coffee. We were there for a week, and the housekeeper never did clean it.
11. The floors were not vacuumed. If they were, I couldn't tell it had been done. It looked like chocolate crumbles were on the floor near the head of the bed. Again, the housekeeper never vacuumed them up.
12. The staff overall, was very friendly and helpful, EXCEPT for the front desk. They were rude and dismissive. In fact, I was in the hallway when I overheard another guest bitterly complain to the friendly maintenance engineer, that she had never heard such rude and pompous remarks from a front desk.
Positives?
1. There were two small reading lamps on each side of the bed that allowed one person to read while the other one slept.
2. The River Walk is really nice. Felt very safe.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
BGSanAntonio, Director of Sales at Hilton Palacio del Rio, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear Samantha S - Thank you for staying with us recently. I am sorry we did not exceed your expectations as we try to make a personal positive connection with every guest. We will will share your comments with the management team about the challenges you experienced and use this opportunity to educate our team members. Thank you for tkaing the time to write a review and we wish the Cornhuskers success in the NCAA Tournament this weekend in San Antonio.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Location on the River Walk was ideal. Three blocks from the Alamo and the Hop on Hop off trolley. Staff was the friendliest I ever encountered. They went out of their way to be helpful. Irish pub had good food and the service was decent, not as bad as other reviews said.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Stayed four nights for a conference. Picked this hotel because of the location (just accross the street from the convention center and right on the river) and my status with Hilton. Walking distance to everything. And in case you need a car for a few hours (to the Sea World, Six Flag, the missions, or the big outlet mall), there is a Hertz 24/7 location just across the street.

The hotel itself is just average Hilton, nothing particularly impressive. Used breakfast and fitness center everyday, and they were alright. BUT, maybe I didn't have the best luck on my check-in date -- the room I got was really not clean, with DUST on every surface (see my photos)!! I had no interest in calling in someone to wipe everywhere or changing to another room since I had already unpacked everything, so I just helped myself. Maybe the hotel should consider tipping me a little bit for that labor. Wireless was not working in my room as well, but they did have the option of wired connection, which stripped me off the pleasure of working in bed. For the noise some previous posts mentioned, it didn't bother me too much. But occasionally I did hear the horses cruising around the streets (late in the night!!) and loud neighbours too excited about their recent trip to Asia. Anyway, the stay was OK in general, but maybe I will try the Embassy Suite next time?

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

I wanted to post a review because I almost didn't stay here after reading some of the other reviews. I'm in town on business and stayed Friday thru Tuesday, so I've seen weekend and weekday staffing. The service has been great! The breakfast at The Rivers Edge Cafe was delicious. The view of the riverwalk is also worthwhile, so the little extra cost shouldn't stop you. Several reviews mentioned how loud the doors were and I haven't heard one door slam. They may have retro fitted closing mechanisms, but they're quiet now. I would definitely stay here again!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank clint m
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We came to see family for Christmas 2013. It is an older hotel that has been renovated so the rooms are small, but are very nice and clean. The staff was helpful and friendly. The location is excellent if you are there to hang out on the riverwalk / downtown area. I asked for a room on a lower floor when booking the reservation, and it was right where I asked it to be. It was very quiet in our room, and they have comfortable beds. The Riverwalk Café, which is a restaurant in the hotel, has great food and excellent service. Good marguaritas. We had an excellent stay. I would recommend it if you would like to stay in a clean, classy hotel on the riverwalk at a fair price for the area.

Room Tip: If you want a good view of the riverwalk from your room if it has a balcony, ask for one on a lower...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Angela E
BGSanAntonio, Director of Sales at Hilton Palacio del Rio, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear Angela E - Thank you for celebrating Christmas Eve with us and taking the time to write a review. We appreciate the positive comments about us delivering on your expectations. I am sure the view of the christmas lights from your balcony kept you in a holiday mood. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit San Antonio.