“Loved Every Minute, Once We got Settled In!”

Hilton Palacio del Rio
Ranked #14 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 18 October 2010

I came to San Antonio for business and pleasure - doing work at two different locations on Friday, and relaxing the rest of the weekend. We arrived via cab on Thursday, and had a little problem checking in. The first room was a handicapped room - not a big deal but I prefer a regular lay-out. The second room had a slept in bed, flip flops and stuff in the bathroom. I was embarrassed and glad the person was not there. The third room was perfection - high up, a great view, and best yet, we could hear the music in the evening from the La Villata theater across the way. Everything was so close. The Riverwalk is amazingly pretty, we enjoyed walking there so much. And everybody at the hotel, at the restaurants (and at my job locations) were lovely, nice and friendly. San Antonio and this hotel were all that I could hope for, and more - a great time!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
SAHILTON, Front Office Manager at Hilton Palacio del Rio, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2010

Dear Mr. Guest:

We appreciate and thank you for taking the time to write about your wonderful experience while staying at Hilton Palacio del Rio. We do apologize for the check-in process as your business is very important to us, and we strive to improve our service and accommodations in order to provide our guests the very best. We’re always interested in hearing from our guests, and we look forward to being of service in the future.

Director Front Office Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (3,067)

Reviewed 11 October 2010

Location was great. Right on the Riverwalk, across from Casa del Rio. Service was amazing! They unpacked our car and beat us to the room with our luggage. Room was very clean spacious. Only negative about the room itself was no flat screen tv. Vallet was a bit expensive but it's expected on the Riverwalk. Our four year old daughter lover the rooftop pool. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
SAHILTON, Front Office Manager at Hilton Palacio del Rio, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2010

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your great comments we do have a great location right on the river-walk

We appreciate and thank you for taking the time to write all about your wonderful experience while staying at Hilton Palacio del Rio. I thank you for your pointing out the location of the hotel which is right on the river-walk it’s all about location. Since your stay in July we now have '37 HDTV flat screens in all our guest rooms. We look forward to having you as guest in the future.

Reviewed 7 October 2010

This hotel was every thing we could have asked for! We got a great price but would not have been disappointed even at full price. The hotel and rooms are older but immaculate. We arrived late. Check in was smooth and easy and the manager even went in back and pulled out a few premade sandwiches after hearing us fret about maybe not finding any where to eat. The room was spotless and comfortable with a fridge and flat screen tv. The location was right on the Riverwalk so very convenient. It is also next door to La Villita and a few blocks from the Alamo. The barge river tours stop/load right across the river and there is a footbridge as soon as you walk out the doors. We didn't eat in any of the restaurants as there is so much more in the area, it is so hard to choose! Parking is expensive but you are in a city so it is expected (I know Chicago is as much if not more). Valet is $35 per day and self park with unlimited in and out is $22. It is quicker as the valet has to walk around the block to get your car, it's a pleasant walk to go your self. If you are not going in and out a lot, you can park in the same garage for significantly less on other levels. You just would have to pay each time. For the $22, you just swipe a ticket to get out.
Do the barge tour first if you can! That way you will know where you want to go or see along the river. We did it last (just because we tried 3 times and it started to rain each time finally got on the morning we were leaving) and there was much we missed! It waS well worth the $8 each!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
SAHILTON, Front Office Manager at Hilton Palacio del Rio, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2010

Dear Guest:

We appreciate and thank you for taking the time to write all about your wonderful experience while staying at Hilton Palacio del Rio. We are very impressed with the level of detail you have provided in your review. I thank you for your praise of our location and cleanliness. We look forward to having you as guest in the future.

Reviewed 7 October 2010

I stayed at this hotel again because I stayed there 4 years ago and it was the best night sleep I ever had at a hotel. I was going to San Antonio and had to work late the night before leaving and then going to work at 6 am when coming back. I stayed at this hotel because I knew I would not get much sleep. As with my previous stay I heard no noise and had the best night sleep I have ever had in a hotel. Totally undisturbed. I found out that this hotel was made in sections and then placed together so that explains the quietness. It is a typical hotel room standard. Good location next to Convention Center and on the River Walk. There is a balcony with some rooms, which was nice. The selling feature is the quietness !!!! Have trouble sleeping in hotels or constantly being awakened by noise then this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
SAHILTON, Front Office Manager at Hilton Palacio del Rio, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2010

Dear Guest:

We appreciate and thank you for taking the time to write all about your wonderful experience while staying at Hilton Palacio del Rio. We are very impressed with the level of detail you have provided in your review. I thank you for your pointing out the quietness of our guest rooms as noted on your review modular construction was used by H.B. Zachry Company. We look forward to having you as guest in the future.

Reviewed 6 October 2010

We arrived via Taxi (~$25 from airport). Checkin was smooth. Kiosk in lobby allows for airline checkin and boarding pass printing for return flights. Free wifi in hotel lobby. WiFi charged for in the room. Balcony overlooked street and the side of the Rivercenter Mall (a must see and within walking distance on the riverwark).

Nice sports bar on the riverwalk level. Also hotel owns an Irish pub and TexMex restaurant on the riverwalk (sortof under the hotel). Charges can be put on your room key for all 3 restaurants. CVS on the same side of the riverwalk (3 minute walk). Also Alamo within 5 min walk. Nice grassy ampitheater next door with local talent.

Conference rooms were extremely hard to control temperature wise. Bring a sweater. Food was a buffett the first night. Carving station and other nice side dishes. Great dessert choices. Cold cut lunch buffett and breakfast buffett's were full courses. Nicely done for our group of about 100.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business

Dear Guest:

We appreciate and thank you for taking the time to write all about your wonderful experience while staying at Hilton Palacio del Rio. We are very impressed with the level of detail you have provided in your review. The Hilton Palacio del Rio offers several meeting rooms that are ideal choices for gatherings offering fabulous views of the River walk and Downtown skyline. Offering Dining and entertainment with Ibiza River walk Patio Bar and Restaurant, Duty Nelly’s Irish Pub, Tex’s River Walk Sports Bar, and Rincon Alegre Lobby Bar

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 3 October 2010

After reading reviews, I was a little concerned about the quality of this hotel. I was really pleasantly surprised! I really didn't think the decor was that dated. My room had what appeared to be newer carpet and a flat-screen TV. The bedding/bed was great--five huge feather pillows on my king bed. I loved the balcony--I had a city view and it was very nice. With the door closed, I did not hear much traffic noise. The balcony and room were very clean. On the first day of my stay, my sink backed up. I called the desk and they were very apologetic. They offered to move me, but I really didn't want to move (after seeing my room, I was afraid of getting moved to some room that was described in some of those negative reviews!). They sent a repair person right up who told me they would bring in the plumber and have it fixed within two hours. Since I was on my way out to explore the riverwalk, that was fine. The maintenance person gave me a card for a free dinner for two at the hotel restaurant for my inconvenience! I had a very lovely meal at Ibeza (by the way, the prickly pear margaritas at Ibeza were the best I sampled on the riverwalk). The exercise room was nice. The only things I can think of that I felt were downsides is that there was no free breakfast or coffee (okay with me, as my conference provided this at the conference center). There was free wireless in the lobby, but had to pay for in room wireless. The staff were really friendly and helpful. The timing of room service varied quite a bit from day to day, but I had the same person each time and on the first day, I told her I drank a lot of coffee and asked for extra. The rest of the days, she gave me extra coffee/fixings in my room.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
SAHILTON, Front Office Manager at Hilton Palacio del Rio, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2010

Dear Guest:

We appreciate and thank you for taking the time to write all about your wonderful experience while staying at Hilton Palacio del Rio. We are very impressed with the level of detail you have provided in your review. I would like to apologize for the less than satisfactory issue you had with the sink and was very happy to hear that our Property Operations exceed your expectations. Thank you for pointing out the Prickly Pear Margarita at Ibiza it has become a favorite and yes we do offer free wireless internet in the lobby plus all our Food & Beverage outlets.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 30 September 2010

Got this hotel through Priceline at a very good deal.

Good points- The location is excellent, right on the Riverwalk with easy walking access to many bars and restaurants.
- the rooms are large and clean with a balcony, and the beds are extremely comfortable.
- Free wi-ffi in the lobby areas, but still have to pay for internet access in rooms.

Bad points- The hotel bars are more expensive than many others on the Riverwalk (and not that great).
- parking is not free (although I think that this applies to all hotels in San Antonio).
- the roof top pool is only average and not that great for a long stay.

Overall this was a great hotel and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
SAHILTON, Front Office Manager at Hilton Palacio del Rio, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2010