“Skip this hotel altogether”

Hilton Palacio del Rio
Ranked #13 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
New York City, New York
“Skip this hotel altogether”
Reviewed 7 November 2010

With great hotels in San Antonio, this one does not have a clue. The service is good but the rooms are old, dated and dirty. I was here with a convention but there's no excuse for this property unles you want something resembling a youth hostel.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank LML4400
SAHILTON, Front Office Manager at Hilton Palacio del Rio, responded to this review, 9 November 2010
Dear Guest:

I am responding to the comments regarding your disappointment with our hotel and guest rooms being outdated. On behalf of the Hilton Palacio del Rio, please accept my sincere apologies for your unsatisfactory stay.

I did want to make you aware that beginning in 2011, our hotel will be undergoing a complete renovation of all of our guest rooms including all of our guest corridors. Thank you again for bringing this experience to our attention as it is only through issues such as these that we are able to understand where the opportunities to improve may be and focus our attention on those opportunities.

Be assured, your business is important to us and look forward to serving you again soon.

Sincerely

Director of Front Office

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (646)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 November 2010

Great hotel, right on the Riverwalk. Super nice room. I had a huge king sized bed, couch, desk, nice TV, big enough bathroom. The staff was great. The conceirge gave out vouchers for freebies at area restaurants. Everyone on staff I talked with from the front desk to cleaners to random people setting up the convention space was so helpful. The hotel is centrally located, right by the Alamo, the Riverwalk and the Convention Center. Guests are welcome to sit in the open bar seating in the lobby overlooking the riverwalk during the daytime. There are nice seats overlookign the river if you need to do work there. They have a riverfront restaurant too. The bus to Market Square runs right by the hotel. I don't write a lot of reviews but wanted to give this hotel a good review.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Dear Guest:

We appreciate and thank you for taking the time to write all about your wonderful experience while staying at Hilton Palacio del Rio. We are very impressed with the level of detail you have provided in your review. I thank you for your comments of our location and staff. We look forward to having you as guest in the future.

Yucaipa, CA
Reviewed 3 November 2010

Bathroom mirrors were hazy and dirty, so was the floor and tub not cleaned well. Watch out for those funky toilets that spit your stuff back at you all for the idea of being conservationists. Self Parking is off site and you still have to pay $25 a night unless you pull a ticket and park before the 5th level which costs $12; but you have no in and out privileges.Convenient to River Walk but not worth the hassel. Better off staying at Homewood Suites north of town. One very small hot tub; when referencing to front desk they say they do not have a heated spa, but the rules on the sign say "Spa" so they have a little uppity attitude. There were two couples in the spa and about 8 others wanting to get in and the look of disappointment as they arrived was very sad. The pool is not heated and they strictly enforce closure time. For such a large and bustling property they should at least have two spas, excuse me, hot tubs and don't even think of saying jacuzzi. The breakfast was very good and very expensive if you are not a preferred guest. Even with a gold status, there was confusion as to what could be ordered or conveniently accessed by the brunch buffet; their rules seemed silly and confusing. It's disgusting that they allow smoking right next to the indoor eating area because it is considered patio. No phone books in rooms. Some front desk staff were very patient and accommodating.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lindylove
SAHILTON, Front Office Manager at Hilton Palacio del Rio, responded to this review, 5 November 2010
Dear Guest:

Exceeding customer expectations in every area is our top priority, and therefore it was very disappointing that your stay did not meet your expectations. We want to assure you the deficiencies reported do not represent the Hilton Palacio del Rio’s usual, high level of service.

We do appreciate your comments and are sharing them with all concerned so efforts can be made to make improvements wherever possible. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience or discomfort caused you. We appreciate your business and hope that if you visit the San Antonio area again in the future, you will give us an opportunity to regain your goodwill.

Director of Front Office Operations
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 30 October 2010

Stayed 20-24 Oct 2010, mainly for business. Check-in was a breeze - perhaps all of 2 mins.! The room was clean, air conditioning was good and quiet. If I had neighbors, I didn't know it. Got good nights rest. Bed was comfortable. Good view to look at in the morning with sunrise. Being on the riverwalk, it was step out into the flow and away you go. Good food and the weather was perfect this time of year. Caught the ALCS at the hotel's sports bar on the riverwalk. Nice crowd in there, given that the Texas Rangers were playing and won, that is! The only downer I experienced is that parking is expensive ($35.50. + tax/tip for valet and $22.+tax for self-park) and the garage is about a block away and on the 7-9th floors of the garage. Takes a while to get the car if you self park. Overall, the staff was very friendly and helpful - on par for Hilton hotels. I must say that my stay was excellent.

1 Thank LivinginSanAntonio
SAHILTON, Front Office Manager at Hilton Palacio del Rio, responded to this review, 1 November 2010

Ankeny, Iowa
Reviewed 26 October 2010

Stayed Oct. 21-24, 2010. It is a great location. Two minute walk to the Alamo and shopping mall. Little shops are next to hotel. Also it is just across the street from convention center. McDonalds is also a 2 minute walk. Right on River walk - restaurants, bars, and river boat ride just steps outside the hotel lower level. Room was average, but clean. We were on 20th floor river walk side but hard to see when you are up that high. If you want a good view, stay on the lower level rooms. Because of other reviews, I did self park in parking ramp for $12. It is a short walk at the end of same block across the street. Staff was friendly, but hard to understand,
I would recommend it.

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank skj0502
SAHILTON, Front Office Manager at Hilton Palacio del Rio, responded to this review, 28 October 2010
Dear Guest:

We appreciate and thank you for taking the time to write all about your wonderful experience while staying at Hilton Palacio del Rio. We are very impressed with the level of detail you have provided in your review. I thank you for your praise of our location. We look forward to having you as guest in the future.

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 20 October 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in the middle of October on a work conference. We had catered breakfast and lunch at the hotel daily, which was excellent and very generous. The housekeeping was excellent, the concierge friendly and helpful, and the head customer service manager went out of her way to ensure I had a wonderful stay.

I especially enjoyed the location by the Riverwalk. We were able to walk to multiple shops and restaurants, as well as the quaint village of La Villita. There are always cabs outside the hotel ready to take passengers to the airport or wherever you please. On my last day I had a couple hours before my flight so I took a cab to Market Square, shopped for an hour, then called the same cab driver who picked me and took me back to the hotel to get my bags then take me to the airport. I appreciated his courtesy and he didn't even charge me for the waiting time to get my luggage (probably because I had multiple other options).

I recommend eating at Boudros- they're guacamole is amazing. We spent more than a couple nights at Mad Dogg, an interesting British pub with karoake a couple nights a week. I plan on going back to San Antonio for my next business trip and I will definitely stay at the Hilton again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
SAHILTON, Front Office Manager at Hilton Palacio del Rio, responded to this review, 21 October 2010
Dear Guest:

We appreciate and thank you for taking the time to write all about your wonderful experience while staying at Hilton Palacio del Rio. We are very impressed with the level of detail you have provided in your review. I thank you for your comments of our location and cleanliness. We look forward to having you as guest in the future.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 18 October 2010

I came to San Antonio for business and pleasure - doing work at two different locations on Friday, and relaxing the rest of the weekend. We arrived via cab on Thursday, and had a little problem checking in. The first room was a handicapped room - not a big deal but I prefer a regular lay-out. The second room had a slept in bed, flip flops and stuff in the bathroom. I was embarrassed and glad the person was not there. The third room was perfection - high up, a great view, and best yet, we could hear the music in the evening from the La Villata theater across the way. Everything was so close. The Riverwalk is amazingly pretty, we enjoyed walking there so much. And everybody at the hotel, at the restaurants (and at my job locations) were lovely, nice and friendly. San Antonio and this hotel were all that I could hope for, and more - a great time!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
SAHILTON, Front Office Manager at Hilton Palacio del Rio, responded to this review, 19 October 2010
Dear Mr. Guest:

We appreciate and thank you for taking the time to write about your wonderful experience while staying at Hilton Palacio del Rio. We do apologize for the check-in process as your business is very important to us, and we strive to improve our service and accommodations in order to provide our guests the very best. We’re always interested in hearing from our guests, and we look forward to being of service in the future.

Director Front Office Operations