“SUPER HOTEL”

Hilton Palacio del Rio
Ranked #14 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 5 February 2011

I had a choice of staying at the Hyatt, Marriott or this Hilton. I certainly made the right choice! The staff are WONDERFUL and professional and polite. They leave the guest wanting for nothing. The property is slated for a renovation this year, and I can hardly wait to see it when it is done. BTW, of the hotel choices that I had, I picked the Hilton because it is on the Riverwalk and the others are not. I visited the other 2 properties and they are newer, but do not feel nearly as comfortable as the Hilton in SAT. GREAT JOB and BIG thanks to ALL the staff at the Hilton. Room 1602 ROCKS!

Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
SAHILTON, Front Office Manager at Hilton Palacio del Rio, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2011

Dear Guest:

We appreciate and thank you for taking the time to write all about your wonderful experience while staying at Hilton Palacio del Rio. We are very impressed with the level of detail you have provided in your review. I thank you for your praise on our location and service. We look forward to having you as guest in the future.

Director of Front Office

Write a ReviewReviews (3,029)

Reviewed 31 January 2011

As a Hilton Diamond member, the service I received was minimal without my usual room request. The front desk woman was totally bored and really didn't want me to interupt her. We had a balcony room on the 8th floor facing a huge green water tank and building construction. The water along this river bend is brown and gross. We ate breakfast at the restaurant which had a nice buffet - although the omelet chef kept burning the eggs. The main part of the river walk is close by and the Alamo is only a few blocks away. Be sure and give the valets at least 30 minutes to get your car - and be prepared to pay $35/day plus tax/tip to park your car. We'll pass on this Hilton and stay at the Marriott or Embassy Suties next time.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mirth60
SAHILTON, Front Office Manager at Hilton Palacio del Rio, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2011

Dear Guest:

We very much appreciate you letting us know about the service we provide. Exceeding customer expectations in every area is our top priority, and therefore it was very disappointing that your stay did not meet your expectations. We want to assure you the deficiencies reported do not represent the Hilton Palacio del Rio’s usual, high level of service.

Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. We’re always interested in hearing from our guests and appreciate your business and hope you will allow us an opportunity to regain your confidence. I have shared your comments about our front desk as being the voice of our customers and how we are frustrating them from enjoying what should have been a wonderful stay at our hotel.

Thank you for being a loyal Diamond Guest and if I may be of any service to you in the future, please let me know.

Director Front Office Operations

Reviewed 31 January 2011

The parking is Ridiculous and...oh yeah...you must valet at $35 per day. Then the off site parking is like two blocks for $20+ a day but there is no in and out priviledges. The hotel is old and need updating. It was my husband and I 1st wedding anniversary and our room was not a view of the riverwalk it was not what we expected for our first time on the Riverwalk.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bacrowe
Reviewed 24 January 2011

Got a good room rate at last minute and the staff was very friendly and helpful. River view room on 21st floor with great view as requested. Rooms were fine (if a bit dated) and I understand they will be modernizing all guest rooms in 2011. Valet parking stub clearly states $35 (plus $3 tax) but I was too tired to look at it until we checked out. My fault. Next time will look into self-parking options.
Overall a good deal at $69/night ($81 with tax) from a Priceline bid.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank RangeRover51
SAHILTON, Front Office Manager at Hilton Palacio del Rio, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2011

Dear Guest:

As mentioned beginning in 2011, our hotel will be undergoing a $22 million dollar renovation of all of our guest rooms including guest corridors. We are very excited about this remodel. We do have parking options available from Valet to self parking.

We look forward to having you as guest in the future.

Reviewed 9 January 2011

We stayed at the Hilton from Dec 23rd thru Dec 27th. We loved staying at the Hilton. Our room was on the 12th floor, kingsize bed with a riverview that was very nice. We liked that we had a balcony even though the weather was cold, we could still go out on the balcony and enjoy the beautitul Christmas lights on the riverwalk. Our room was spotless. We thought the room was plenty big and thought the same about the bathroom. Did not find the bathroom too small at all as seen in previous comments, we like the "curved" shower rod. Also did not come across any stained carpets or worn furniture as seen in previous comments. We had a very nice room. Bed was probably the most comfortable hotel bed we have ever slept in. Had plenty of coffee, hot chocolate and hotel toiletries. The service at the hotel was very, very good. We did have a snafu with the hotel running our credit card twice upon check in causing us some undue stress. However, upon being notified of the situation, the hotel and the manager did everything possible to correct the error and in as timely a manner as they could. For our trouble, we were given vouchers for free breakfast for all four mornings of our stay plus a free dinner at their restaurant. We took advantage of these vouchers and thought the Ibiza restautrant was very nice. Our location on the riverwalk is excellent, cannot be beat. Overall, we had a wondeful stay at Christmastime in San Antonio. We would absolutely stay at this Hilton again. We loved it!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank KateRowlettTexas
SAHILTON, Front Office Manager at Hilton Palacio del Rio, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2011

Reviewed 3 January 2011

I've stayed here before and they couldn't have been nicer. On this visit however, everyone except the valet was "cranky"/ rude. There are plenty of places to stay and this isn't the best bargain to be had.
The carpet is soiled and we found bits of paper like confetti around the floor. The bathtub, feels like a plastic tub was placed inside the real bathtub and it was bumpy and made my standing in the tub not secure.
The internet was not working properly and I had to hunt around the room looking for the TV remote (it wasn't next to the TV or the bedside table). The hotel was nearly cleared out from the holidays but I feel like I was given the worst room available.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
SAHILTON, Front Office Manager at Hilton Palacio del Rio, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2011

Dear Guest:

Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. We’re always interested in hearing from our guests and appreciate your business and hope you will allow us an opportunity to regain your confidence. If I may be of any service to you in the future, please let me know.

Director Front Office Operations

Reviewed 29 December 2010

First let me say - there is nothing more beautiful than the Riverwalk at Christmas. The weather was 70 the 3 days we were there.The hotel is perfectly located so it is right on the water with great views but off the busiest part of the river as to avoid noise. I spent a lot of time on the balcony enjoying the lights.The room was not the greatest but far from the worst. There was a frige and coffee maker. The bath was nothing special but they did offer use of terry robes. The beds were a bit hard for my taste- usually hotels of this quality have fluffy spa-style beds-nothing special here. Again this hotel is all about location. Close to the Alamo,river center mall,fantastic food and night life. Dirty Nellies Pub is located downstairs on the river. I didn't go but it looked like a lot of folks liked it and were having a good time.The shopping is not what it once was but the atmosphere is still fab. There are riverboatride tours and handsome carriage rides beside the Alamo.One night we enjoyed a special treat-a lady playing Carols on a fiddle-how great. We did not rent a car this trip as we have visited the other sights and wanted to spend all our time on the riverwalk-plus the parking is very pricey. There is a airport shuttle service that serves all the downtown hotels. (The price was $60 roundtrip.) The hotel staff were very nice and the maids are very quiet in the morning.Again great location and a great visit.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business