“Very nice with a few minor issues”
Review of Menger Hotel

Menger Hotel
Ranked #20 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 14 May 2011

After reading the negative reviews I was hesitant to say the least. True....some of the rooms are not very good....small, in MAJOR need of updating, etc. There, however, some wonderful rooms facing the pool or the gardens with balconies. Make sure you get one of those of you will be disappointed.

WiFi is free but they get you real good on printing boarding passes....They charge by the minute. I knew this, typed quickly, and it still cost $7 to print one pass....Can you spell RIPOFF.......

It really is a great old hotel....just be aware of the hidden costs and you will love the time spent here....good old pictures line the halls....fun to see....perfect location.....

Room Tip: Insist on a room facing either the gardens or pool
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2011

I would like to thank you for taking the time to respond to Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Historic Menger Hotel.

We are a historical property and the hotel does have a variet of room sizes with different views and are pleased to learn that the room assigned during your stay was satisfactory.

We hope that when you have the opportunity to return to San Antonio, you will once again choose the Historic Menger Hotel.

Hector R. Venegas

Write a ReviewReviews (2,624)

Reviewed 8 May 2011

My husband and I took a group of 14 people to the Menger in April. In the confusion of leaving the next day, I left my main suitcase in our room, not to discover it was missing until late that night when we returned home. I immediately called the Menger and someone in Housekeeping assured me it was there waiting for pickup, but we live five hours away! The next morning I called and talked with the manager's secretary and she very helpfully arranged for my luggage to be shipped to me in a timely manner. I really appreciated the honesty and excellent customer service of the Menger staff.

• Stayed: April 2011
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2011

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to respond to Trip Advisor and for the recognization of our employees with such a positive nature. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff's efforts and takes the time to say thank you. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff as reinforcement to continue our efforts as a leader in excellence.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments and we hope that when your travels bring oyu back to San Antonio, you will once again choose the Historic Menger Hotel.

Reviewed 2 May 2011

Our family stayed here for the weekend and it was awesome! We will definitely stay here again! We have stayed in San Antonio lots of times and I think that for the price and location this was my favorite so far. The room was updated to the period of the Hotel and everything was very clean, but if you are looking for a very large and modern place this is not it. The staff was great and very quick about getting the crib to our room that we requested for our infant. Over all a great stay! Oh and we did NOT see any ghosts!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2011

We would like to thank you for sharing your delightful comments regarding you stay at the Historic Menger Hotel.

Your comments will be shared with our staff and we hope that when the opportunity arises for you to return to San Antonio, you will once again choose the Historic Menger Hotel.

Reviewed 28 April 2011

Was in San Antonio recently for a business meeting and we stayed at the historic Menger. I was looking forward to it as it is right next door to the Alamo and it is in the heart of the historic downtown. It is a short walk to the River walk. I hate to say that I thought my overall stay was not a good value. While the lobby, bar and public areas are historically attractive the rooms were old, tired and in need of renovation. The carpet was old and worn. The wall paper in the bath was likely 20 years old. The bath tile was clean but just so old it never appears clean. Water pressure was very good in the shower. The rooms were quite large and spacious. The closet doors were heavy and huge. There was an old dirty sock on the top shelf. The AC worked very well. The mattress was good. There was no microwave or mini-fridge. (They want you to eat at their restaurant), and the room does not come with a breakfast - which it should for the price. One thing I did not like is I felt nickel and dimed. They charge for parking - $25.00 a day ! (which unfortunately many hotels there do), but they also charge a fee to use the computers in their business center ! they also would not let you use a wheeled luggage cart and they force you to have a valet/bellman do all that. While all those young people were polite, you end up having to tip and tip and tip. From the looks of it, the Menger was likely the crown jewel of San Antonio decades ago, but it is old and has lost its luster. Other modern accomodations provide stiff competition. My advice would be to stay at one of the more modern places on the Riverwalk - you would get a better overall value. I was traveling with co-workers so it was fine, but had I been on a romantic weekend with my spouse I would have been sorely disappointed to take her to a place like the Menger. Time to renovate !

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business

I would like to thank you for responding to Trip Advisor and regret that I was not able to address your concerns personally during your stay.

We strive to have all our guests leave with a sense of satisfaction and are disappointed that your expectations were not met.

Once again, we appreciate your comments and hope that when your travels bring you back to San Antonio, you will provides us the oportunity to be your lodging chocie.

Reviewed 27 April 2011

I've stayed in a few places in San Antonio, but none can come close to the cleanliness, professional staff, location, and history that the Menger offers. The location is simply perfect, being right across the street from the Alamo, next door to the Rivercenter and the entire Riverwalk is right outside. If you want to be able to walk from your room to all the big downtown attractions, the Menger is perfect.
I travelled with friends for a birthday roadtrip to float the Guadalupe and spend the weekend in San Antonio. Being 4 guys in our 20's with not a lot of cash to spend, we were pretty picky on pricing and absolutely astounded when the Menger popped up on a cheap hotel site. Having stayed at other places downtown I was a bit nervous that 4 guys dressed in shorts, sandals and T-shirts walking into a luxury hotel would get us a cold shoulder. Nothing could be further from the truth. Our bags were already on the elevator heading for our room before I got done signing the valet register. The gentleman running the front desk was very courteous and directed us to by far the best Mexican food restaurant I've ever eaten at (and I've traveled to Mexico a few times) and since we had spent the afternoon getting burned on the Guadalupe, he comped us bottles of water while we were checking in.
The room was spacious with all the standard goodies, a nice TV, and the antique furniture was very well cared for. The only downside was our room was on the East side, meaning our "City View" was actually the large IMAX wall of the Rivercenter. Of course, the view wasn't a big deal. The facility is a bit of a maze, but the maid on our floor was very nice in showing us the corridors to get where we needed to go. I was very impressed with the amount of history that comes from every object from the skylight, to the piano, the bar, the sitting areas, and the rooms. We didn't see anything supernatural, despite closing the bar down hoping to see Teddy Roosevelt.
The lobby is home to two very cool shops, one being a tabacconist with an excellent selection of cigar and pipe tobacco if that is your interest, the other is a unique miniatures store with a complete diorama of the Battle of the Alamo, lots of WWII memorabilia, and some toys. Definitely worth the window shopping if nothing else.
Finally, the location is superb. Being literally at the heart of downtown San Antonio, everything is within walking distance. The Alamo is across the street, the Rivercenter is next door and the Riverwalk is a block away. We walked the entire time and left the car with the valet. Coming back after hours from the nightlife isn't an issue as the main front lobby doors and valet stay unlocked (they do lock other less used entrances).
Every time I travel to the San Antonio area, the Menger (if available) is my place to stay because it is as close to home in comfort as possible and right at the heart of where I intend to be spending my time.

Room Tip: Ask about the views available.
  • Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pilotgod

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for shaing your delightful comments with Trip Advisor.

It is truly rewarding when a guest takes the time to share their experiences and appreciates our efforts to display the events and visitors that have been a fascinating part of our history.

We hope when the opportunity arises for you to return to San Antonio, we will be your lodging choice once again.

Reviewed 26 April 2011

I've stayed in San Antonio many times but always avoided the Menger because I thought it might be tired. This trip, we grabbed the convention rate at the Menger which was quite a bargain. I did change rooms because I didn't want to be overlooking a roof all week, and ended up with a view of a concrete wall. The good thing is that the room was nice and quiet and I did sleep well. The TV was an old bulgy tube model with fuzzy resolution . . . I would imagine this will be replaced soon as it was not watchable. The hotel has a nice feel, though and a beautiful lobby, courtyard and pool. The breakfast buffet is excellent and while the bar is attractive and historic, it is filled with cigar and cigarette smoke and thus uninhabitable. The rooms were clean and well cared for and the shower pressure was amazing. Like a fire hose!

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking over the pool or courtyard
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business

We are truly pleased that you provided the Historic Menger Hotel the opportunity to be your lodging choice during your visit to San Antonio.

We strivef to have all our guests leave with a sense of satisfaction and truly appreciate your comments. They will be shared with our entire staff to assist us in our commitment to excellence.

Reviewed 24 April 2011

Had a good stay here. Spent 3 nights. No, the rooms aren't anything special, but we got a good deal on Expedia. Basically, we were paying for the location and the history of the hotel. Wonderful historical pictures on the walls. Check in and check out was simple. Would stay here again if I got a good rate. Valet parking was $25 a night, but that's average for the River Walk area.

Room Tip: Go to Expedia.
  • Stayed: April 2011

Thank you for taking the time to respond to Trip Advisor regarding your recent visit to the Historic Menger Hotel.

We are pleased that our relationship with Expedia was a facotr in your lodging choice and hope that when your travels bring you back to San Antonio, you will once again choose the Historic Menger Hotel.

Hector R. Venegas,