“Beautiful Lobby and outside but ugly rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Menger Hotel

Menger Hotel
Ranked #30 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
“Beautiful Lobby and outside but ugly rooms”
Reviewed 30 June 2011

The location is spectacular. The lobby exemplifies the history of the hotel and San Antonio. The staff are friendly and professsional, but in a weird way. It's like professionalism is not in their nature so their demeanor seems forceful. The price is average. The room we stayed in is run down. The bathroom has old fixtures (shower head is spritsy, the toilet is rusty, the tub is small, and the water doesn't drain well) and there's no ventilation. The pool area seems decent. Pool is a nice size 3-9 ft deep. I like the idea of it being outdoors, but enclosed, I'm not that crazy about the fake grass; having that outdoors in a wet environment invites bacteria and communicable diseases in my opinion. Valet parking is a rip off $22/day. All in all, I've experienced the Menger and downtown living, but I wouldn't do it again.

• Stayed June 2011
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor. Our goal is for every guest to leave with fond memories and we regret that your expectations were not met and we did not have the opportunity to meet with you personally.

Once again, we appreciate your comments as they are valued and shared with our staff.

We hope that when the opportunity arises, you will return to the Hsitoric Menger Hotel.

Hector R. Venegas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Indonesian first
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Stayed five nights on a business trip because space was not available at the larger hotels. Historic nature of the hotel gives it a unique flavor. Location next to Alamo is central, though better is possible for Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center. Room was slightly run down. Shower had great water pressure, but no shower wand. I used room service once and the food was delivered ten minutes later than promised with hot food and cold food both lukewarm. Bed was comfortable with lots of pillows. Air conditioning in room was easily controlled to maintain a comfortable setting (average temps in high 90s during my stay). WiFi in room was mediocre relative to higher end hotels. One afternoon I put a DND sign on the door to catch up on sleep and room service called the room phone to let me know I could ask for towels - while I was trying to sleep with the DND on the door! When I asked to check out the night prior to an early departure, I was told that the new system would not allow it - I might get charged twice - but they could close out the next day and e-mail me the receipt. Not ideal for an early morning departure in a hurry or business traveler who wants to leave with all receipts in hand. Over-all, left me with a disappointed, tepid impression of what I had thought would be a stellar hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your response to Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay at the Historic Menger Hotel.

We apologize that during the transition to a new and upgraded reservation system, our attempts to provide a minimum of disruption and inconvenience resulted in your discomfort. I have addressed your concerns with the ladies and genetlemen on our staff so that we can use your comments to improve our services.

Once, again, thank you for your comments and we hope that when the opportunity for you to return to San Antonio arises, you will choose the Historic Menger Hotel.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 20 June 2011

That I wasn’t going to have more spare time on my trip to just sit back and revel in the beauty of this place.

I arrived by airport shuttle. You walk past the pool area, down the hallway full of historic mementos, and into the main lobby. When I saw the white rocking chairs all lined up in the pretty courtyard I actually “giggled”. Seriously, I am a grown woman, but just seeing how gorgeous this place was and that I had been smart enough to choose it, I just couldn’t help but giggle. Some times reading all the reviews on a place can get you pretty stressed out.

But the moment that shuttle bus rounded the corner I was pretty sure I’d made the right choice just by the location of it. You can’t beat it. The Alamo on one side and a Movie Theatre and Shopping Center on the other. A park (with snow cone venders) in front of you and you can access the Riverwalk from across the street over by the Believe it or Not Museum. There are loads of different museums and game/entertainment places all up/down the street. Plenty to keep your kids or you busy. There are Bus and Trolley stops right there in front of the hotel. The horse and carriage rides are right there too. I walked to the Mercado Market one day and the Guenther House another. You can walk pretty much to anything (Hemifair Park, Lavillta,) If you can’t walk that far you will have no trouble catching a bus or whatever.

You are surrounded by food choices. And like I mentioned the access to the Riverwalk is right there, or you can enter it from the Mall food fair entrance. Even McDonalds is just around the corner. And of course the Colonial Restaurant in the hotel is great. There are Museums and Attractions up and down the street. A tour company and a Visitors center are connected to the hotel. Some great shops are also connected. I’ve never gone to a movie while on vacation but the fact that in less then 5 minutes you are there, I just couldn’t help myself and saw 2 of them just to cool off from the heat.

This place is a great home base. If you can’t walk far this place would be great for you. Everything you need is just so close.

My room had a King Bed and a large window. It was at the end of the hall right by the Ice Machine/Pop Machine room. I thought this was great. My view was of the Shopping Mall. The Bed was very comfortable and there was a white robe to use. I found my room to be very clean and I was very happy with it. It had a high ceiling and the fan kept the room cool. There were 2 suitcase racks and a small closet. There really weren’t any hangers, but I am sure if I’d made a call they would have provided them. The soap and shampoo/conditioner were nice. The water pressure was fine.

There was a coffee maker and plenty of coffee pkgs in my room. I discovered they have free coffee right outside the Restaurant each morning. So I would just fix up a couple of those and bring them back up to the room instead of making it myself.

I really have no complaints about this place. I did notice as I walked down the halls that some rooms are better/bigger than others but that seems to always be way with these historic hotels. They are unique and each room offers its own character to the place. I think the people who are complaining misunderstand what this hotel is.

Maybe they think it only important to look historic on the outside, and forget that it is important to protect the history on the inside as well. That means that just because the furniture may get a scratch or the wallpaper may start to thin does not mean you simply head out and replace it. You can NOT replace the PAST. From what I saw when I was watching the people cleaning and taking care of this place they are doing a really good job. I could see in the way the gardeners or even the guy I watched changing light bulbs that they took great care in what they were doing. These people know they are working at preserving a “Great Beauty”.

Some people with a strong respect for Historical Treasure will walk in the door of this Hotel and giggle with glee that they have a chance to experience The Menger. They will get a kick out of knowing each time they see a picture of the hotel in Historical Books that they were lucky enough to stay there. They will understand that perhaps this place is not perfect (although I lean towards it being so) but at least it is Authentic. They will be impressed with all her Opulence and hardly notice or disregard any flaw this Grand Old Hotel may have and instead just wish they could have stayed longer. They will arrive and Smile and Relax.

And there will be those that should have stayed at a Best Western… like they always do… same old same old.

If I was planning another trip to San Antonio it would be allot easier the next time. I don’t have to waste time looking for the perfect hotel. I know where it is. Right next to the Alamo and some great Snow Cones too.

Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank ImFrmCanada
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2011
I read your comments submitted to Trip Advisor this morning and believe you truly have captured the essences of our beautiful Historic Menger Hotel. We are the oldest continuous operating hotel west of the Mississippi and we respect the opportunity to showcase her and are pleased that you also recognized our efforts.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your comments and for the time you took to share them with Trip Advisor.

Wichita
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Beautiful hotel; wonderfully located. Those they say the rooms are small and dated are correct. I will say that our A/C worked just fine and we were located near the pool so that was also a bonus. The biggest downside for us was the TV. That monster from early 2001 was a pain in the butt. We wanted to hook up a gaming system, no. We wanted to watch our videos that we had taken, no. The A/V (red, white, yellow hookups) WILL NOT work, even if you bring your own universal remote. This was annoying as all get out. Menger, join us in 2011 please and update your technology. (I'm sure they wanted our kids to 'rent' games from the TV-- thanks, but no thanks.)
Other than that, it was a solid place to stay. The pool is great and the convenience to The Alamo and so many other shops was awesome. Just a 3 min walk to the River walk as well. I would stay here again, just leave all your technology at home. (The wi-fi worked fine in our room).

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2011
We are pleased that you enjoyed your visit at the Historic Menger Hotel and especially our beautiful swimming pool and regret that your expections for the room size or technology were not met.

Your comments to Trip Advisor are appreciated and we hope that when the opportunity to return to San Antonio arises, you will once again choose The Historic Menger Hotel.

Dallas
Reviewed 17 June 2011

A beautiful old hotel. Really lots of character. The pool area and garden are wonderful. And the old original lobby is spectacular. The service was great and the view out the front room to the plaza and Alamo was an unexpected treat. Yes, it's a very old hotel. No, everything in it isn't brand new. If you want that go to one of the cookie cutter chain hotels. There are plenty of them in San Antonio but only one Menger.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2011
The time you took to respond to Trip Advisor is truly appreciated. When a guest recognizes our efforts toward our commitment to excellence, we are truly rewarded..

Once again, thank you for sharing your comments and we hope when the opportunity to return to San Antonio arises, you will choose the Historic Menger Hotel.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2011

What a splendid hotel the Menger is. I am so baffled by any negative reviews this establishment garners. Are the complainers staying in a different Menger perhaps?

The relatively recent history of the United States means that a hotel built in 1859 and still operating is incredibly old, by US standards. You feel (and smell) the presence of the past in the air as soon as you walk in the doors, it is a very unique & enjoyable feeling. The Victorian public areas are very lovely and quite opulent, no wonder so many people come in from the street just to gawk at the decor and the old photos/memorabilia.

The staff we encountered were exceptionally polite and well-spoken, professional in their role and friendly too. Our room was spacious and comfortable as well as clean. We have stayed in a room with one double bed before, these are much smaller than those with two doubles, which is what we went for this time, for a very small extra cost. I would recommend doing that for the extra space. The bed was super comfy and we experienced no noise problems during the night.

The swimming pool is great. It's quite big and set in pleasant surroundings. It can get a bit rowdy though. On our first day there were a group of attention-seeking, loud irritating people in their early 20s who were drinking beer and smoking in the pool. Not just around the pool but actually in it. It took about an hour and a half for the staff to resolve this which was a bit annoying but not too much of a big deal.

The location of the Menger is fantastic, right next door to the Alamo. We didn't eat at the restaurant as the lure of the very near-by riverwalk was too strong, but it looked beautiful. It's surprisingly reasonable in cost to stay at the Menger, there are other hotels in San Antonio which are not nearly as appealing but which cost more as they are capitalising on their location and the fact that SA is quite a touristy city. I would advise anyone travelling to San Antonio to stay at the Menger, you'll regret it if you dont!

Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2011
We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experience with Trip Advisor. We strive to have all guests leave with fond memories of their stay here at The Historic Menger Hotel and are delighted that our efforts were recognized.

Once again, your willlingness to share your experience is genuinely appreciated and we hope when your travels bring ou back to San Antonio, you will choose the Historic Menger Hotel.

Best regards
Hector R. Venegas,
austin, tx
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I have stayed at the Menger many times, and have come to see it as a retreat in the middle of a bustling city. The building itself has a fascinating history (and claims to host several ghosts!) I am also treated like royalty at the restaurant, where my husband and I like to breakfast in the garden, and at the Menger Bar, where we sip Irish coffee and play Scrabble for hours. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2011
We are pleased that you shared your positive experienceds during your stay at the Historic Menger Hotel with Trip Advisor.

We strive to have all our guests leave with a sense of satisfaction and appreciate when a guest recognizes our efforts.

We look forward to your return to the Historic Menger Hotel when your travels bring you back to San Antonio.

Best regards