“Look No Further, The Menger is Great!”
Review of Menger Hotel

Menger Hotel
Ranked #27 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
San Antonio, Texas
“Look No Further, The Menger is Great!”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Look no further, the location, the look, the history...it's all there! The Menger Hotel is exactly what you'd expect it would be, a cool part of history in center of the Alamo City. I was impressed with the service and the atmosphere. Everyone I met who worked there was always smiling and extremely friendly. Best of all, they were all knowledgeable about the area and the hotel itself. The Sunday brunch at the hotel is a must and the MANGO ice cream is a necessary part of your stay.

Trust me when I tell you, this place is like taking a trip back in time. I travel all over the world and have visited many hotels and resorts - I'd put the Menger Hotel up against any of them.

Staying there is a no-brainer...if you can, try to get a rooom overlooking the Alamo grounds and make sure you make time to walk around the downtown area and take in the local culture. The River Walk is just a block away. Shopping, food, bars, it's all there. What's really cool is their own in-house bar called the "Teddy Roosevelt Bar" - talk about some serious history and ambience...if you want to visit a drinking spot off-premises, I found a cool neighnorhood bar called "The Local Bar" just 2 blocks away, it's where a lot of the locals go and the prices were amazing.

Hope you get to enjoy this wonderful hotel one day soon!

I plan on making the Menger Hotel one of my yearly locations to visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Alamo, if possible.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
We truly appreciate you sharing your delighful experience with Trip Advisor.

The ladies and gentlemen of our staff will be pleased that their efforts toward exemplary guest satisfaction were recognized. We are also very proud of our neighbor, The Alamo.

We look forward to your return when the opportunity for you return to San Antoino arises, you will once again choose the Historic Menger Hotel.

Hector R. Venegas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
  • Indonesian first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I made the short trip from Austin to San Antonio, Texas to stay one night for a work event.
My daughter and I chose the Menger because we love its location right in the center of everything, and of course, we greatly value the historical ambiance of the hotel. When we arrived we had been place in the "newer side (about 20 yrs. old), but we asked to be changed to the "original side." The room was fantastic...two separate bedrooms...antiques..perfect. The only problem was that I could not get a "happy medium" for the shower. I tried and tried, but it went hot and cold back and forth. I felt like I was showering in Guatemala where I had experienced this...any hot water in Guatemala is good. I went to work and when I met up with my daughter, she said she had had the "best sleep ever," but the shower went hot and cold. So, it wasn't just me. I would recommend this hotel to anyone...and do enjoy the beautiful pool. Just ask for a working shower. Frances

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Your comments shared with Trip Adviser are appreciated.

We regret that during your stay the shower temperature did not meet your expectations. We are striving to improve and hope that you will accept my sincerest apology for any inconvenience.

We look forward to your return when your travels bring you and your daughter back to San Antonio and the the Historic Menger Hotel.

Tupper Lake, New York
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I had some very specific and somewhat unusual requests that I made prior to our stay at the Menger. We stayed for 3 nights Feb 26-28 2013. Before traveling to San Antonio I was in contact with Menger's Reservation Staff to discuss my needs. There were several emails that went back and forth (all my inquiries were quickly answered) and the Reservation folks said tht they would attempt to meet ll my requests. When we checked in they told me that they were unable to meet one of my requests. I was disappointed until I reached my room and discovered that the desk clerk was mistaken and they did, in fact, comply with all of my requests. The Hotel Reservations Department deserves kudos for a job well done. My room was large, spacious and well kept. The chambermaid complied with all my requests and the room was located where I requested. I highly recommend this hotel. You can't get better service than we received. I would highly recommend this Hotel to anyone. We have traveled extensively within the US and Europe and Mexico - believe me when I tell you that the Menger staff went "above and beyond" standard service.

Room Tip: Be very specific with the Reservations Staff regarding your needs - they will work hard to meet your...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor.

The ladies and gentlemen of our Reservation staff will be pleased that you recognized their efforts as they assisted you with your special requests and needs. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our efforts. Your comments have been shared with our entire staff as we strive for exemplary service to all of our guests.

We look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to San Antonio and the Historic Menger Hotel.

Best regrads,
Texarkana, Texas
Reviewed 11 March 2013

The pool was over-chlorinated, and it burned our eyes while we swam. The lobby and halls smelled like cigarette smoke, and the beds were old and quite lumpy. In need of a renovation. Otherwise the staff was helpful. I did not sleep a wink, don't take too well with ghost stories.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing your experiences during your stay.

Our goal is to promote and preserve the history of our beautiful hotel bult in 1859. We regret that you expectations were not met and we were not able to discuss this with you.

We hope that when the opportunity arises, you will once again select the Historic Menger Hotel as your lodging choice.

Midland, Texas
Reviewed 8 March 2013

We stayed at the Menger for one night because it was across the street from the Alamo, which is where we wanted to go to see the famous "Victory of Death" letter written by William Travis, just prior to the fall of the Alamo in 1836. Despite a rather poor experience with the Meger in 2005, we decided to give it another try. It has improved significantly. Our room, while relatively small, had a comfortable king bed and was in good shape overall. We could not seem to regulate the A/C to make the room cooler, but it was March 1st so the temperature was livable. We didn't discover that the window opened until the next morning. Electric sockets were few and oddly placed so plugging in a charger required some effort.
The hotel lobby areas are historic and very pleasant with a nice ambience. The Menger Bar is still there but not in the same part of the hotel as it was when TR recruited his rough riders. When I asked, the hotel staff was nice enough to show us some of the oldest rooms, in the original part of the hotel. The high ceilings and tall windows facing the patio would make these nicer rooms in which to stay, if given the choice. The bathrooms in this part of the hotel, however, require a step up, as indoor bathrooms were a later addition. The hotel as a whole has lots of charm and a sense of history but I'm afraid it relies too heavily on those assets. My price was $106/night and parking is valet only at $28/ night

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
We would like to thank you for the opportunity to once again be your lodging choice during your visit to San Antonio and for sharing your comments with Trip Advisor.

The ladies and gentlemen of our staff are pleased that our efforts toward historic preservation are recognized. As a historic hotel, we have a variety of rooms with different sizes due to the renoviations that have taken place over the years.. We are glad that you had the opportunity to tour the historic rooms as these rooms are very popular with our guests.

General Manager.
Reviewed 3 March 2013 via mobile

We reserved two adjoining rooms. When we checked in they confirmed that we had two adjoining rooms. Well, we got to the rooms and they were not adjoining. Hotel said tough luck we are out of adjoining rooms. Room was extremely hot first night. Next morning we complained and hotel said AC was not working and only had heat on. They said turn AC off and open window. In one room window would not open. Desk said they would send somebody to open but they did not. AC finally came on late on second day. Last night they apparently turned heat on and AC off. Spent miserable hot night in both rooms with temp over 80. We have always loved the Menger because of its location and history but the property is in bad condition and the service people don't seem to care.when we complained at departure they comp'd us one night, but it was too little too late. Stay somewhere else! I know we will from now on.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Edward C
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
We are pleased that you took the time to share your concerns with Trip Advisor.

is our goal to have all our guests leave with fond memories and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your stay. We are striving to improve our services in order to ensure that situations of this nature do not occur in the future.

We look forward to your return to the Historic Menger Hotel.

San Antonio
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Facilities are quite old, particularily those in bathroom.
Some deposite charge are not explained clearly during check in.
Some pictures online are misleading.
The location is good.
Free Wi-Fi is good

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Zheng L
We would like to thank your for taking the time to respond to Trip Advisor.

We regret that we were not able to address your concerns during your stay and hope that you will accept my sincere apology. We are striving to improve our services to ensure that this does not occur in the future.

Your willingness to share your experience is genuinely appreciated and we look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to San Antonio and the Historic Menger Hotel