“An historic hotel to give you a feel for San Antonio”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Menger Hotel

Menger Hotel
Ranked #29 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Massachusetts
“An historic hotel to give you a feel for San Antonio”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

Loved this old historic hotel. The atmosphere in the lobby is wonderful with the dark wood, tiled floor and old pictures hanging on the walls to give you a sense of old San Antonio. There' s a lovely open courtyard with a fountain and very nice landscaping and palm trees. The pool was nice, with palm trees, situated in another courtyard, surrounded by the hotel. Our room was very spacious... almost seemed like it needed more furniture and could use a little decorating/updating, but I'm not complaining! It was very clean and the beds were comfy. It was nice to have a room that you could move around in. Our room had a nice terrace that overlooked the pool, so it was very pleasant to sit outside on the warm afternoon. Location of the hotel was perfect - literally right next door to the Alamo and a block away from the Riverwalk. Rumor has it that the hotel is haunted, but no ghosts were seen on the night we were there, although the long hallways and creaky floors set the tone - kind of reminded me of the hotel from The Shining! The breakfast seemed quite pricey, so we just decided to head next door, grab a coffee at Starbucks and sit outside along the Riverwalk. The staff was courteous and helpful. Very pleasant stay and reasonable price. I would absolutely stay there if I were to find myself in San Antonio again!

Room Tip: I really enjoyed having a room on the higher floor with the balcony overlooking the pool. I think th...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
We would like to thank you for sharing your experience with Trip Advisor and are truly delighted that we exceeded your expectations.

As we have mentioned in previous reviews, we are very proud to be a vital member of this beautiful historic city and neighbors to The Alamo.

We look forward to your return and hope we have the opportunity to meet during your next stay.

General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (545)
  • Indonesian first
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

The Menger Hotel in San Antonio is nice and close to the Alamo and Rivercenter Mall. The hotel is full of history. It was nice, but the room was a little outdated and very cold. I had always wanted to stay there and finally did.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank carcher_1332
We would like to thank you for sharing your comments with Trip Advisor. It is always a pleasure to have our guests experience our history and the conveniences of being in downtown San Antonio.

We look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to San Antonio and the Historic Menger Hotel.

Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

I visited The Menger for the second time last week. A conference I like going to was held there again. Walls in the teeny bathroom peeling, room groaned like it was gong to fall apart. The handle on the dresser of drawers fell off when I touched it. I ordered room service for breakfast the night before. It never showed. I called. It finally arrived another 45 minutes later, cold.

But, the beds are really comfortable. The staff is very nice. And the Menger is beautiful. It does feel like you've stepped back in time. Its right by the River Walk and the Alamo. Its also spooky, with lots of ghost sightings. And I will be back next year. Hopefully with a room that doesn't have peeling walls.

Room Tip: You want to ask for either a room in the haunted side, or the not haunted side.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Your comments to Trip Advisor are truly appreciated. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the discomfort you experienced.

We regret that we were not able to provide you with a different room during your stay. I have shared your comments with the ladies and gentlemen of our staff as reinforcement of our commitment toward exemplary guest satisfaction.

Tucson, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

I would like to start my review when the taxi dropped me off, the employee's that I thought were bellhops completely ignored us, no greeting, no service, and no bellhop and no cart. We then found our way to the font desk and was greeted by Deigo I inquired if there was a room not by the ice machine or elevator and if it would be possible to have a balcony room? No balcony, no elevator, but I received the ice machine that I assured was not there, and he assured me a had a great view of the Alamo my view was a brick wall, and I even got the luxury of the cars of guests being parked and trucks dropping off goods. All of this for 170.00 a night what more could a girl ask for?
Upon arrival to our room we received someone else's used bar of soap in the tub, and trash in the waste basket, and since we were so lucky we even got hair in the bathroom cabinets and mold growing above the mirror in the corners, and of course no other room was available.
On to the restaurant I must say we had dinner and the service and food was wonderful so we went back for Sunday Brunch and was greeted by Sara who is rude, and I sincerely believe she hates her job. But our server and food were wonderful.
This hotel is in a great location, but that is all it is, do not waste your money!!!!!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else, there are ton of hotels in the same area.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
I appreciate you sharing your comments with Trip Advisor and regret that we were not able to meet during your stay..

Please accept my sincerest apologies.our comments have been shared with the ladies and gentlemen of our staff. as we strive for exemplary guest satisfaction for every guest. Your comments have been shared withe the ladies and gentlemen of our staff.

We hope when the opportunity for you to return to San Antonio arises, you will once again choose the Historic Menger Hotel.

Manvel, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

Our one night at the Menger was awesome,first of all if you want modern go to the hyatt or Hilton,people in the 1800's didn't live better than people do today,they weren't so soft and hard to please,this is exactly what we wanted,the charm,the atmosphere of another simpler era,we have been to the Menger Bar,many times,which we love,all the history and so far as were concerned the best margaritas in the state,only disappointment,no ghosts.water pressure for showers fine,ac,fine at least in room 3068,and great room service breakfast,and outside the beginning of the reenactment of the battle of the Alamo,awesome,will be staying again soon.thank you.

Room Tip: the simpler the room the better.don't ask for more than you really need,your not going to stay...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bryan and shery... l
We truly appreciate you sharing your experience with Trip Advisor. It is always a pleasure when our guests recognize our efforts toward exemplary guest satisfaction.

We are proud to be neighbors of The Alamo and are diligent in our efforts to preserve the history throughout the Historic Menger Hotel.

We look forward to your return and meeting you.

Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

I am at The Menger now. It's so loud--for the second night in a row--that you won't actually sleep here. You'll just toss and turn and place countless calls to the front desk. They'll slightly adjust your room rate and rattle off some apology, but it won't matter because you still cannot sleep. So then you'll start posting to Trip Advisor because you are so mad. Do not stay here. Ever.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Cleyera
I truly appreciate you sharing your comments with Trip Advisor and hope that you will accept my sincerest apologies that we were not able to meet your expectations..

It is our desire to have every guest leave with fond memories, and we hope that when you return you will once again select the Historic Menger Hotel for your lodging.

Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

The restaurant is lovely and they have a beautiful, historic lobby--both are free for viewing. Other than that, the place needs updating. My room would suit a bachelor cowboy in the early 1900's. It had a sizable closet. The room was basic and bathroom utilitarian--certainly not worthy of the $170 per night rate. There was no bathroom counter on which to place me make-up or toiletries items. The pedestal sink had a small shelf over it to accommodate my toothpaste and soap--that's all. The industrial flush toilets were so loud I could hear them up and down the hallway during the night. The Emily Morgan and La Contessa nearby have far nicer rooms. Housekeeping left one packet of single-cup coffee in the room, so I had to get dressed and go down stairs for an $8.66 pitcher to bring back to my room to drink while worked on my computer in the morning. If you stay here, bring your own water glass. The one provided was so small I had to stand in front of the sink to refill several times just to get the equivalent of a regular glass of water. Of course they provide an $8 bottle of VOSS brand water option in the room. Valet parking is $28 per night.

Room Tip: They have a nice fruit bar and omelet bar for breakfast
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Your comments are truly appreciated and have been shared with the ladies and gentlemen of our staff.

We are striving to improve our services and ask that you please accept my sincerest apology that we did not provide the proper amenities for you. Our housekeeping staff has extra coffee and they are available to deliver it upon request.

We hope when your travels bring you back to San Antonio, you will once again choose the Historic Menger Hotel for your lodging.