“Small rooms” 3 of 5 bubbles

Menger Hotel
Ranked #29 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
“Small rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

The room was very small and the bed was really hard. It is centrally located and a beautiful hotel. However, we won't be staying here again. It smells really old and it is hard to get around in the room. Everyone was very nice and worked hard to make your stay enjoyable.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Stephanie C
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
I truly thank you for sharing your comments with Trip Advisor. Please accept my apologies for the discomfort you experienced.

As a historic hotel, one of the benefits is the variety of our rooms and sizes. We regret that we were not able to provide you with another room during your stay.

We hope when the opportunity arises for you to return to downtown San Antonio, you will once again choose the Historic Menger Hotel for your lodging.

Hector R. Venegas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
  • Indonesian first
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed here 2 nights in October and really enjoyed our stay. The location is perfect (right next door to The Alamo) and within easy walking distance of Rivercenter Mall, Tower of the Americas. the riverwalk, the convention center, the market, and dozens of restaurants, bars, shops etc...
The hotel is old (1859), it is on the National Trust for Historic Preservation and holds the unofficial title of "The Most Haunted Hotel in Texas." The hotel's past is very interesting and it has been popular in the past and present with literary figures, politicians, celebrities and artists. Just some of the people of the past who have stayed here are: Ulysses S. Grant, Theodore Roosevelt, Oscar Wilde, Robert E. Lee, Babe Ruth, Mae West...and many more.

The exterior of the hotel is charming with green wrought iron balconies and faces a square next to the Alamo. The interiors are lavish and adorned with history (all the photos on the wall can keep you occupied for hours). The Victorian public spaces are beautiful...the tropical courtyard is gorgeous and deserves some time wandering through it. The staircases (in the historic part of the hotel) are fantastic with their historic architecture, soaring ceilings, stained glass, antiques, and photos..you can wander here too for hours.

The room we had was a king bed room in the historic part of the hotel (not the addition built later) and it was nice and functional. The room was filled with antique reproductions and a nice big window that in all honesty had a pretty awful view of the brick wall of a building next door but it was Ok. The bed was comfortable and TV was big. The bathroom was a step up (literally) from the bedroom and was very nice with a pedestal sink, checkered classic tile floor, and a big tub/shower. The bathroom had a big window that let in a lot of natural light.

We did not eat at the restaurants (I did eat at the Colonial Room when I was much younger and had the famous mango ice cream) but we did have drink at the historic multi leveled Menger Bar which was built in 1887 and is an exact replica of London's House of Lord's Pub. The bar 's ceilings are dark paneled wood and the rest of the space is filled with french mirrors, brass, dark woods, and ceiling fans. There is a lot of history here.

The service at the hotel was very good and had no complaints about anything during our stay.

There might be nicer hotels in San Antonio and there certainly are newer and more modern ones, but if you want to stay in a hotel with a great location and that is filled with San Antonio and Texas history then stay at The Menger..it looks and FEELS like histroy and it has a lot to tell.

Room Tip: We had a room in old/historic part of the hotel but there are much more lavish rooms and suites in t...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank Atlas1175
I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your delightful experience with Trip Advisor.
It is our goal to provide every guest with fond memories and we are pleased that we exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to The Historic Menger Hotel.

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

The hotel was beautiful and full of pictures and history. It was where Teddy R. found most of his rough riders and hung out in the Menger bar. It has both its current lobby and keep the old lobby as well.

They have lots of stories and are included in the Sisters Grimm Ghost Tours for several types of ghosts including connections to Richard King of King Ranch and Roy Rogers who both have suites named after them.

The staff were all very helpful and my girlfriend picked the hotel due to its haunted history including the story of Sallie White, and they answered her questions on ghosts without batting an eye. The only real issue there is parking, as they charge you extra to park your car with them. You are right next to just about everything from The Alamo to Ripley's believe it or not.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Greg H
When a guest takes the time to share their experience with Trip Advisor, it is always appreciated.

Your comments have been shared with the ladies and gentlemen of our staff as it is our goal to have every guest leave with fond memories. We are pleased we met your expectations.

We look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to San Antonio and the Historic Menger Hotel.

Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I just checked into the Menger for 3 nights. I was not surprised or particularly bothered when my room was not ready when I arrived at 1:00. They even offered to call when the room was ready, which it was at 3:00, the scheduled time to check in. I then went to my room on the 3rd floor and neither key would open the door. I went downstairs, stood in line, and was given another key. Back upstairs and it still won't open. Downstairs. Stand in line again... they said are you sure you went to room ----? I said no, it says room----- on my key card you gave me. He wrote it down wrong. Ugh. I tried twice to open the wrong room. With only an "I'm sorry" from the desk clerk, I hiked back to the 3rd floor to go to the now corrected room. Seems like they would've offered me some perk at that point?? Nope. Nothing. Maybe not since they already have my $$ and my wasted time doesn't bother them.

As far as the room goes, it is small and old, but very clean. There is zip for counter space in the bathroom, but it is also very clean. I appreciate the history of the hotel, and they do a great job maintaining it, so I understand why it doesn't have all of the modern amenities.

Location is great, the restaurant is fantastic, nice pool and lobby, and other than the ridiculous check - in blunder, I think it will be an ok stay.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Jackie D
I would like to thank you for sharing your experience with Trip Advisor of your stay. I offer my sincerest apologies for the lack of service you encountered with our front office agents.

I have addressed this with the staff and appropriate action has been taken to ensure that situations of this nature do not occur in the future.

We look forward to your return to the Historic Menger Hotel.

baseball5
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I have never had an experience like this in my life. I called ahead to confirm that I had read mixed reviews and wanted to be assured I receive a great room. Arriving at the hotel, it was very confusing. There was no real greeting as I pulled in. It was a bit confusing. It was not very simple. I arrived a little early, but my room was not ready. They said they would call me. They called 30 minutes after check in time. My room had no AC, and numerous other broken things. I called the desk who said they would send someone up. After sometime, I called the desk, who sent me to another room that looked like something out of a roadside motel. Where I was placed looked like nothing from the pictures I had excitedly viewed. I was paying full price and booked through the hotel. I learned from a guest that the guests at The Crockett were told they could use the amenities at both the Crockett and Menger. If this is so, I was never advised of this information. At that point the evening manager stepped in and really turned it around. I was taken to the original part of the hotel, hello Victorian charm!! The room was lovely. I felt like I had been taken to another hotel. As I had moved all my luggage to the second room, There I saw the beautiful rotunda I wanted to see. After getting settled I was able to enjoy the lovely pool, with a complimentary drink. They graciously made a generous adjustment to my bill. Because of that I enjoyed a wonderful dinner in their beautiful restaurant. The lobby by the way have great pictures, antiques, and shops. The hotel needs some loving care and updates. There appears to be
some of that going on that I
could see. Soooo, my advice is to ask for a room in the original part of the hotel. I wish I had known this in advance. The older side is not perfect, as it is an older hotel, but that is part of the charm. I do not always learn the names of the hotel maintenance workers, but Dave was a joy and a major asset to the hotel, as was the gentleman who brought my drink to the pool, and the night manager. I rated the hotel in the middle because there seems to be a huge difference in room quality. I regret that I lost sooo much time of my stay until they got it right. When they did, it was fabulous.

• Stayed July 2014
      Location
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
It is always appreciated when a guest takes the time to share their experience of their stay with Trip Advisor. Please accept my sincerest apologies that the beginning of your stay did not meet your expectations.

I was pleased that we were able to move you to the historic area of the hotel and provide you with the hospitality is our tradition. I have shared your comments with the ladies and gentlemen of our staff.

Painesville, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

The Menger Hotel is ideally located for seeing the sites of San Antonio, just steps away from the Riverwalk, the Alamo and the Rivercenter Mall. I was in town for a conference and the hotel proved to be ideal for our group with plenty of room for break out sessions. The Menger Hotel has managed to preserve this historic site while updating the rooms with modern day conveniences. Keep in mind, this is a historic hotel and you can't expect zero noise, but this type of charm can not be built into a new hotel. The staff was wonderful and very helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your delightful experience with Trip Advisor.
It is always a pleasure when a guest recognizes our efforts toward historic preservation
I have shared your comments with the ladies and gentlemen of our staff as reinforcement of exemplary guest satisfaction.

Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

This hotel has a great history and some charm, but it needs a serious upgrade to be considered a great hotel by any measures. The proximity to the Alamo is their salvage, but if you expect more than proximity to a landmark and history; then the Menger is not the hotel for you.

Room Tip: The place is worn down and needs renovation. Wi-Fi yes, but VEEERY slow.... not suited for business...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Heine Husted H
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor. Please accept my apologies that your expectations were not met.

Your comments have been shared with the ladies and gentlemen of our staff as we are striving to improve our services.

Best regards