“Beautiful lobby, disgusting room” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Menger Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Menger Hotel
Ranked #30 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Los Angeles, CA
“Beautiful lobby, disgusting room”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2009

My husband and I checked in for three nights, but left after spending only one night. The original circular lobby is extraordinary and it's worth a stop in to see it, but don't stay in the hotel. For the same price, there are much better options within walking distance. The carpet in the room was filthy, there were hairs in the bathroom, the mattress was hard and the linens scratchy. There was a really moldy smell in the room - which they must have had complaints about because there was an old air filter/ionizer. You also can't open the windows to get any fresh air. I woke up really itchy and with a runny nose that went away within hours of leaving the room. It must have been mold or dust or something. I don't have allergies, but it seems I was actually allergic to The Menger.

• Liked — The circular lobby, the decor of the Menger Bar
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank particularlypicky

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Indonesian first
Pasadena, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2009

When we visit San Antonio, I have tried staying at other hotels, but prefer the Menger located right next to the Alamo for convenience to the Alamo, Riverwalk, downtown, etc. I valet park our car at $25 per day and don't see it again until we leave the Menger. Yes, that's quite a fee for a little peace of mind and convenience, I agree. I'm very sad that the Menger staff does not pay more attention to cleaning details. It's a hotel that I check into knowing I'll have to clean some things if I want them clean. Sheets and towels were VERY clean, but furniture and bathroom was NOT as clean as I expect them to be at any rate of pay. I always think about how nice it is to check in to a hotel and EVERYTHING is so clean and orderly so I try to provide the same environment for my house guests. In the last couple of years, I find I cannot expect everything to be clean in hotels. What a shame! The staff was cordial and almost courteous. The first night we spent at the Menger our room temp. was acceptable. The second night the temp. outside was same as previous night, but the room was cold and no heat came on. I walked down to the hotel desk at about 9:45 p.m. and asked when the heat would come on in our room. I was told first that it would come on when the outside temp. got to 45 degrees. At 12 midnight I walked down to the hotel desk again and told the staff that there was a thermostat on the wall and it didn't seem to function. It seemed to be blowing COLD air while it was 40+ degrees outside. I also told them that there was a note on the thermostat stating something like "do not turn fan off if something else is on" (sorry, can't remember exactly what it was called). I asked staff if they could just tell me if any of their heating/cooling equipment is on so I could at least turn the cold blowing fan off. Staff established that NONE of their heating/cooling equipment was on. I should've asked why the heat was not on since it was 40+ degrees outside. I just went back to my room and turned the cold blowing fan off and went to bed with every cover I could find. Sorry, but that situation is unacceptable. They'd better figure that one out really quick or they'll lose me and others. So on a positive note in conclusion, these are the good things about the Menger that I experienced: Quick hot water for showers, properly working ice machine down the hall, great breakfast in hotel restaurant, clean sheets and towels and secure valet parking. My friend and I have both been sick with upper respiratory infections since our weekend at the Menger. Just wondering if it's due to the cigarette smoke from the bar downstairs. Oh, I forgot to mention the peanut throwing guests in the lobby at midnight who were having a friendly food fight. Where do those kind of folks come from? Surely they're not Texans! Love you Menger, but please clean up your act a bit so you don't have to listen to all of these complaints . Until next time! (maybe)

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2008

The Menger Hotel has a long and illustrious history. As my husband so aptly put it, "I knew this was an historic hotel, but I didn't realize it was pre-historic". The Menger Hotel must have been a charming hotel in its day. Unfortunately, its day has come and gone. As you arrive in the front door of the Menger Hotel, there is a pervasive aroma of old cigar which did not dissipate during our entire 4 night stay. We were booked into the Menger by a convention booking service and we did not have a choice as to where to stay. When I booked these hotel rooms for us, I booked three rooms. My husband and I were in one room and although I requested a queen size or king size bed, when we arrived there were only rooms available with double beds, reminiscent of when I was a small child. The bathroom smelled of bug spray/wet dog. The towels were plentiful but very thin- almost see-through. The showerhead was built for someone under 4 ft. . The room size was large but dim, with light bulbs in only half of the lamps. The first night I didn't sleep well because the pillows were made of a substance similar to styrofoam and the sheets were very scratch. The bedspread was of a 1980's vintage as was the chair in the corner of the room. The hotel room contributed to what was a very uncomfortable stay. It is rare that I have been so grateful to leave any hotel as I was the Menger.

2 Thank DublinGemologist
San Francisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2008

I had a horrible experience here. Upon checking in to the hotel around 5pm on a weekday that there was a pervasice smell of cigarette smoke throughout the lobby and common areas of the hotel. It must have been coming from the bar area. Although all the rooms are "non-smoking" the smoke from the common areas aggravated my asthma and I found this unbearable enough. After getting to my room, I was underwhelmed by the worn-looking furnishings and carpet, and the very old fixtures in the bathrooms. But, this is a historic hotel, I told myself, so get over it. Fine, I decided, I can deal with this. But about 6 hours later, after a business meeting and dinner meeting, I came back to my room to get a good nights sleep. Before crawling into bed, I pulled the sheets back for a little inspection. Good thing I did, because there were several bedbugs - still alive - on the sheets, and I am guessing that there were definitely more little bloodsuckers lurking in the crevices of the bed to come and bite me in the middle of the night. I was creeped out, so I re-packed my bags and asked for a new room. When the new room was not actually clean and ready to go, I decided to leave and got another room even closer to the convention center. I was so happy to have left. The Menger has really let things slide, and they need a major renovation. They don't deserve their 3 stars....

• Liked — nothing - but old historic hotel lobby was nice,
  • Disliked — Bed bugs and lack of cleanliness overall
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank SupersonicFlyGirl
Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2008

After finding pubic hairs in the toilet on the day of arrival, it took the hotel about 4 hours to "properly" clean the toilet. A closer look at the rest of the bathroom, however, revealed that it was rather not thoroughly cleaned. The room equipment was quite old, and I could find diverse wrappings (candy bars, etc.) behind chairs, curtains and the TV-cupboard (this is where I finally found the control unit for the air conditioning; otherwise I wouldn't have dared to look behind it). This air condition was quite loud and stinky, which is why I had to turn it off. The internet connection reminded me of the good old days with my 56k modem and the wireless lan in the lobby was inoperative. Similar result with the two costumer PCs in the office. To cut things short: I would have expected more for my money.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank Anne1972
Auckland New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2008

Stayed here for one night. The room was huge and well kept, although the bathroom could certainly have done with a freshen up!!! And a mini bar and fridge in the room would have been great. The staff were friendly although I'm sure I speak for a large number of people when I say that I hate hotel room swipe cards, especially when they don't work!! The coffee machine in the room was also pretty pathetic I must say! Fantastic location though. Notwithstanding this we would stay here again.

• Liked — History and location
  • Disliked — No mini bar
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
Silver City, NM
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2008

The lobby is beautiful and very interesting. The outdoor pool is loevely. Staff were professional and courteous. Unfortunately, the room and its condition were awful. My room was truly the size of a shoebox, but there was adequate room to walk on all three sides of the bed. The carpet was very worn, some of the furniture chipped, getting a little worn. I have never had trouble breathing in a hotel room, but two nights in a row I had trouble here. As soon as I switched hotels, didn't have any trouble breathing at night, go figure. I spoke with staff that night, who told me to check back the next day to try and get a different room ( it was claustrophobic). The next day (guess I was too tired and it was too dark to notice when I checked in) I found a very nasty and large (apparently fungally infected) toenail clipping on the floor, it wasn't mine. I then realized there were many clippings concentrated in one area of the room. There was also some food debris on the other side of the bed and a denture repair kit in one of the bedside table drawers. Housekeeping service had been in the room twice that day, and never vacuumed or made up the bed ( I didn't care about the bed, I just thought that was weird), and they never fully emptied the garbage, (they left stuff in the bottom, go figure), so I guess they were only there to change towels. Needless to say, I wondered about the actual and real cleanliness of the room. Management was very nice and listened to my complaints/concerns. I'm sure they would have tried to find me another room, but I wasn't interested anymore. It was too late in the day for me to switch hotels, so I stayed that night and happily left early the next morning. This was my experience.

• Liked — location was excellent
  • Disliked — room extremely small and not clean
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business