“Ideal location - great for a large corporate hotel”

The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio
Ranked #7 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I was in San Antonio for a conference this month - and the Westin was the location of the conference. The hotel was extremely busy - but all of the staff was attentive, professional and courteous. Much of the Riverwalk is very busy, noisy, and touristy. But the Westin is located on a tranquil part of it. At the river level is the bar and the restaurant Zocca. As of this writing, Zocca is the #1 restaurant on TripAdvisor. I can only vouch for their breakfasts (you have a choice of an extensive breakfast buffet or you can order off the menu) and the lunch. Both were very nice, but I did not eat dinner at Zocca. The bar at the Westin is also very nice - and it's very relaxing to have an drink at the outdoor patio and watch people and boats along the Riverwalk. My room was quiet - and the perfect size - with a large bed, extra chairs, and a desk. The maid service was great. I really have no complaints. I prefer smaller boutique-type hotels. But this hotel is definitely a cut ABOVE the usual chain, corporate hotel. I'm glad I stayed there!

Room Tip: Rooms either face the Riverwalk or the city. The Riverwalk rooms are priced a bit higher, but have...

Reviewed 28 March 2012

Quite simply, this is a great hotel with a terrible noise problem. I had a room on the sixth floor, facing the street, and without fail on each of the three nights/mornings, I was awakened and kept awake by street noise: garbage trucks (at 4:30AM), delivery trucks, trucks, cars, and people whooping in the street. And trucks.

There were also unruly kids in the same hallway as my room but that could happen anywhere. Parents: WTF?

For what this place costs and charges for things (an $8.50 Caesar salad and $12.00 antipasto gets 22% added + 4.00 "delivery" fee= >$31; wifi is ~$15-20 a night, etc.) it is simply unacceptable to have guests exposed to this level of noise.

Also, the alarm clock was about 20 years old and didn't work reliably, and one of my lamps had a tricky switch- each time I turned it on I had to twist the bulb back and forth before it would work. Those are nits, I know, but again, this is not a cheap hotel!

Bottom line:The location is great, the service is good, the rooms are good, and, nits aside, everything else is either good or very good, but unless I could get a riverside room (not noisy according to a colleague who stayed at the same time I did) I would think very carefully before I would consider staying in this hotel again.

1  Thank honu-rangi
JamiChampagne, Director of Rooms at The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback about your experience at The Westin Rverwalk, Pauld581. Thank you for pointing out the positives of the hotel like the location, service and rooms. I apologize for the noise you experienced while staying at the hotel. We cannot control the noise generated outside but we can control noise from other guests.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope this experience does not deter you from staying with us.

Jami Champagne.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

Right on the Riverwalk and conviently located to attractions, shopping and restaurants, this hotel offered what I needed to make my stay a very pleasant one. The accommodations were roomy - large restroom and shower - with less water flow options, green options for bedding and towels. I also made use of their small yet efficient workout room (although they ran out of earphones). The restaurant and store weren't the greatest - but with the variety of restaurant options and a CVS nearby - it didn't matter.

1  Thank AnelaS
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Upon arriving, the hotel registration area was congested with all the guests checking in. The staff quickly brought in more clerks to help speed up the checking in process... even providing bottled water.

I was fortunate enough to be bumped up and into a riverfront room. The view wasn't the greatest but it was much quieter than folks who stayed in the streetside rooms.

Linens [except for towels] were great. I only wish the room had a refrigerator.

Would definitely recommend if you can get a decent rate.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Excellent service. The rooms were nice but nothing special considering the price you pay. With this hotel you are paying for the service and a wonderful location on the Riverwalk. Hotel was surprisingly noisy both with events and with the neighborhood (and we stayed on the 10th floor). Overall, however, it was a lovely stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank KQuest
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Our stay was great, room service was outstanding. Especially, Andy who went the extra mile. The Zocca was great, the manager pays great detail to customer service and the executive Chef very passionate about his food. I have seen the other hotels and this beats them hand and foot. If you have a family put the kids in Room 814 and grown-ups in Room 815 as they are ajoining rooms. The reviews of the city plus river walk is great.

Room Tip: Get Room 814 and 815. They are ajoining for families and 815 is a corner room with a bedroom and se...
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I just stayed there from 17 to 21 of March for business. The first night, after travelled for 14 long hours, I was awaken at around 2 am by the rowdy next door noise-it was a party in full swing, things breaking, yelling and screaming. It took the security more than 45 minutes to resolve the situation. On top of it, the faucet and the shower head started leaking and added to the agony. I woke up in the morning after unpleasant night of interruped sleep on 'heavenly' bed and had to get ready for my early morining meeting. Barely made it through the day.

The housekeeping did not come by for 48 hrs. The room is very outdated, no fridge, old carpet and no balcony.I was on the 9th floor with the 'city' view. The bathroom was small, no tissues on the vanity, and a crack in the bathroom sink. Not to mention not very clean faucet (had calcium deposits all over and a soap scum) and a tub. It seemed as if the room was done is such a ruch and not detailed at all. Also, I found out that one of the water bottles provided by the hotel that was next to the coffee machine was actually open (someone probably drank it and put the top back on with verly likely tap water). I also found out that the water is not provided by the hotel 'to keep us hydrated' for free, when I recived my final bill. I also found out that the hotel charged me a $5 for 'holding a package', a gift my husband sent me and was sitting there for 2 days without an attempt to be delivered. He had to call the reception 3 times before I was alerted. I complained and the fee was removed off the bill.

And finally, having my last meal at the Zocca restaurant before my departure, I had to wait for more than 45 minutes for my meal to arrive. I alerted several wait staff to ask what was going on, and they kept passing on a message to a next waitperson. After I finally got my food (that I had to shove down as I was late for my flight), I was told that the meal was sent to the wrong table. The bill was doscounted half off, and I got the apology from the manager.

As a summary, it is just an OK hotel and waaaaay overpriced for the type of rooms and service it provides. I would stay there again if it were half the price. I've more often than not stayed in really nice hotels, and I thought the name would attest to quality,but it was not a case here.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback about your experience at The Westin Riverwalk. I am sorry for the noise that affected your first night with us and the condition your bathroom was in. We understand that you are very disappointed by the service you received from both our hotel staff and restaurant staff. We hope that does not deter you from visiting us again.

Thank you for staying with us.

Jami Champagne.