“OK stay in spite of bad service”

The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio
Ranked #8 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Pflugerville, Texas, United States
“OK stay in spite of bad service”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

This is a lovely, relatively well kept property but the staff all seem either completely new or just totally incompetent. Ask the simplest question and get a blank stare... that's if a staff member is even available.

River view rooms offer little to see - even the suites that overlook the river appear to be less than stellar.

Their web site totally misrepresents the amenities offered. I was extremely disappointed to find that they in fact do NOT have a sauna while their web site asserts they do.

Finally, the equipment in the gym was just awful - entirely too difficult to program and fairly difficult to use.

We WON'T be returning.

Room Tip: Be sure to request a river view room EVEN / ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE USING AN UPGRADE because the st...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MighTay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,162)
  • Arabic first
Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Reviewed 28 May 2013

This hotel was in a great location. It is is within steps from the riverwalk, but it is still in an area that is away from all the hustle and bustle of all the tourists. Upon our arrival, we checked in at the front desk and received an immediate upgrade. They catered to our early arrival as well, because we arrived a few hours earlier than their posted check-in time. We stayed in a room with a river walk view and it was nice. Be careful about staying on the 4th floor with the pool and spa crowds. I was also hoping the doors would open to let us out onto the balcony, but they wouldnt. The breakfast room service was great too, one of the best breakfasts I've had in a while. All in all, this was a beautiful weekend. I would stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
executiveoffice1667, General Manager at The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Thank you Matthew, for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Riverwalk. Thank you for pointing out all the positive aspects of the hotel from the location to food. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Really nice hotel and it accepts dogs which was great for us as we always take our chocolate schnoodle, Millie, with us. The restaurant, Zoccas, is in a great location overlooking the river and is good to hang out and people watch.

Friendly staff and nice atmosphere

Room Tip: A room overlooking the river is best, but not the pool which can be noisy. Pool closes at 10pm
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank David Daniela M... E
Thank you David Daniela, for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Riverwalk. Thank you for pointing out all the positive aspects of the hotel from the location to our in house restaurant Zocca. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Arrived to the hotel after a very long day of air travel, which encountered severe delays due to weather. The hotel staff was very friendly - the front desk supervisor, Azeem Qureshi, was quite kind. He assisted with questions and concerns that I had, as well as offered to have fruit delivered to the room because it was late and I had not had any dinner.

Roland Delgado, the Banquet Houseman Supervisor, was also very helpful when I was looking for the business center. He assisted with getting me logged onto the computer.

Overall, I did not encounter any disagreeable or unhappy staff. :)

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not "city side".
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Thank you Ann, for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Riverwalk. I am elated the staff was able to make your stay very well after your long day of travel. Azeem and Roland are amazing associates and I am happy they were able to make your stay all the better. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Wonderful place to stay, particularly if you can shop around and get a good price on the room. Elegant and friendly, it is located on the river and is absolutely perfect! I lost my car keys and had to turn to security for help - they searched up and down for me (I know because I too searched up and down and everywhere I went I was told they were just there.) Front desk was wonderful, conceirge helpful, and the wait staff top notch.

Room Tip: Riverfront is the way to go! The balconies seemed much smaller on the website than they actually wer...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Thank you Ktrejo, for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your time at the Westin Riverwalk. Thank you for pointing out all the positive aspects of the hotel from the ambiance to the amazing staff. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

P.S. I hope you found your keys.

Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I am an independent owner of my own event & meeting planning business, Global Event & Meeting Management, LLC. I recently brought my international cable meeting to the Westin Riverwalk. Great Team of Sales & Service and what a great location on the River!! Starwood is well represented here in San Antonio.
A special "thank you" for Ms. Amanda Sanchez for her help with one of my delegates from Malaysia.
Of course, Tami Gonzales - Sales Manager helped to bring the business to the Westin Riverwalk and then Monica Castillo and staff made the meeting a great success. Great Food and ambiance, Front Desk (Wendy) Concierge (David), Bellstaff (Joe) and Room Service of special notice.
My only advice to the hotel, may be a little attention to detail in guest rooms and Westin needs to brighten up their rooms in general, especially for San Antonio to show off their local color.
I have already booked another group for September 2013.
Good Job!
Paul Orlando - President GEMM

Room Tip: Of course, the River Views are awesome
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Thank you Paul, for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay and event hosted at the Westin Riverwalk. Thank you also pointing out various positive aspects of the hotel from the great food to the amazing service you received from Tami, Amanda, Wendy, David, Joe and all our staff. Thank you for also the tips on the rooms. Management has taken note of this and we will be implementing changes soon. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Stayed at The Westin Riverwalk on Friday, Dec. 28, 2012. First of all they will not let you use a dolly to take your own bags to the room because of "liability". I think it is because of "tips". Secondly, we left two personal pillows in the room. We packed in a hurry because the guy with the dolly was waiting on us and overlooked our pillows. We made it 20 minutes down the road before we noticed our pillows were not with us. I then called The Westin and gave them our room number and description of the pillows. Ours had brown pillowcases and the Westin uses white pillowcases. Should be easy to spot. Told them we would be back through San Antonio in 4 days and would pick up the pillows then. We came back in 4 days and they could not find our pillows. The pillows were special for our allergies and the pillow cases matched our sheets at home. You would think after all the money we spent at that hotel for rooms, dinner and tips that they could keep two pillows separate for 4 days.
I stayed in a LaQuinta two months ago in Temple and left my pillow there too. By the time I got home, LaQuinta had already called me saying they had my pillow and were mailing it to me. That is why I like LaQuinta. They give service and don't just take your money and run.

Room Tip: Stay in a room at another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank UncleDinDin
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your reviews with us. We are a large, luxury hotel that stresses comfortable service, offering ample doormen and assistance with bags is an amenity and our team takes much pride in the work they complete.

We are truly sorry to hear that your pillows were misplaced in our hotel. Our hotel is big and many times our team members miss out on important fetes of customer service, like keeping your pillows in a safe place until you return. Your review has sparked a conversation with our management teams that, hopefully, will better allow us to rectify these types of situations more quickly.

Again, thank you for your review and we hope that you will consider returning to the Westin Riverwalk so that we can provide you with a truly relaxing and rejuvenating Westin experience.