“Great business hotel”

The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio
Ranked #5 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Last minute business trip. Service was great. Rooms were clean and well maintained.
Breakfast was fantastic.
Would definitely return....but the the $37 valet parking was steep.
The italian restaurant is apparently the number one on tripadvisor in SA.

Room Tip: overlooking the pool
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
GBNCM, General Manager at The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Thank you ntxtraveler091 for taking the time to comment on your stay at The Westin Riverwalk. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio

Reviewed 20 February 2014 via mobile

In a great city filled with scenic hotels along the Riverwalk, the Westin stands out for their friendly spirit and charm. From the moment you enter you are offered water and chocolates and wonderful treatment.

A great experience. - request a river view room

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank AtlBruin

Thank you AltBruin, we really appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I want to take the opportunity to thank Grace Villarreal for her help over several days of a recent stay. Her smile and service--willing to stay late to deliver a late arriving bag--were second to none. I would stay here again--just because of Grace.

1  Thank Randall W
Reviewed 19 February 2014

My husband and I have been SPG members for 6+ years. This hotel is in a great location, close to so many historic sites, great restaurants, all within walking distance. It is a twenty minute ride from the airport. We took advantage of the self parking directly across the street for $16.00 per day. It was very busy with the Texas high school band and choir conference but we had no wait to check in. There was always two or three door men waiting to open a door for us. We enjoyed the afternoon cheese, crackers and fruit in the lobby every day between 5 and 7. Chocolates in the lobby were a nice touch.
The concierge, David Swift, was very knowledgeable, pleasant and helpful. We had made no reservations on our own, and realized it would be difficult to make them for Valentines Day. But he did manage to make them at Zinc, where we had a very delicious meal. He also made reservations at Budro's and Bohanan's and both were very good.
We chose the green service for three consecutive nights, because we thought it was the right thing to do. And when we resumed the maid service we had to notify the front desk two days in a row to have our room cleaned. And when it was we did not find it up to Westin standards.
In all we found the facility very accommodating and friendly.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you MoonlightNest, we really appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments - it’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels. We do apologize for the lack of maid service. I can assure you that this housekeeping oversight is not indicative of the type of overall service that we typically provide.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Stayed here for a conference at the hotel. Check-in took too long because the person who reserved our group's 5 rooms was not told he needed to provide the names of the other 4 of us, so I waited patiently for nearly 25 minutes before the new employee would accept an email from the person who reserved the rooms as proof I was one of the group. (The 20 people in line behind me were not happy). My stay coincided with an all Texas high school concert band and choir conference so there were a ton of kids at the hotel, and my request for a high floor was immediately granted. This proved to be a good idea given all the musicians practicing in their rooms on lower floors---good for those kids! My king room had a city view and was spacious and clean. The deadbolt did not work and a call to their Service group had a maintenance guy there within 10-15 minutes. Alfred C. was great, fixed the door in another 10 minutes (loose screws), and was on his way. Very pleasant and clearly customer-focused!! The rest of my stay was uneventful. Being located right on the Riverwalk, the hotel has great balconies in public areas (and rooms on that side) and an outdoor dining area that is perfectly positioned to take advantage of the plentiful midday sunshine. With temps in the low 70s during my stay, it was a real treat to be right on the Riverwalk with access to shopping and many othe restaurants. The conference I attended provided breakfast, however on the last day, when I arrived 20 minutes before the end of breakfast, there was no more food to eat. This might have been to the planners ordering too little food, so I ended up going to the restaurant during a break to get a bite to eat. On balance, I really liked the hotel. They have a great spa and I enjoyed a great massage there. The pool takes advantage of location and sunshine too. I would definitely stay there again, because they have the most exquisitely comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept on; I slept like a baby every night. Except for my initial check-in problems, I felt the quality of service in the hotel was very good.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side are on the Riverwalk. Morning sun faces downtown. Warm weather made the room...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you fahlava, for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at The Westin Riverwalk. Thank you for pointing out various positive aspects of our hotel such as the rooms and staff.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Very nice property, with a great Riverwalk location.

Room was spacious and comfortable, well-appointed, as you would expect at $200+ / night.

Our meeting included catered breakfast & lunch - which were only average. Of note, the breakfast breads were recycled too many unclaimed days in a row - better suited to crouton duty. Did not dine on-property otherwise.

$10 bottle of beer in the lobby seemed a bit pricey, as did $35 / day valet parking.

Service was supportive and helpful.

Overall, a pleasant stay.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you tradi_travel, for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at The Westin Riverwalk!

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I have been an SPG member for close to 10 years and had some good and bad experiences with this hotel over the Valentines day weekend:

Valet - excellent hardworking staff. No one was standing around. Every time we left or arrived, the staff was hustling to make sure wait times for guests was minimal.

Doorman - There is none. I was disappointed that they did not have someone opening doors for guests. For the amount of money paid to stay here, you would hope they would have a door attendant to open doors for guests. That or invest in an automatic door.

Check in - Not enough staff for the holiday weekend. With expected crowds, you would hope they would be fully staffed to check in guests.

Room - Nice and accommodating. Comfortable bed, furniture, and lighting.

Bathroom - Again nice bathroom. However the shower was horrible. I'm used to the Speakman shower heads that provide strong streams. The new shower head had low pressure and water was often cold to lukewarm. I contacted the front desk and they said engineering would come out. They never did. I happen to see engineering assisting another room and mentioned it the gentleman. He went to our shower and tested it and said that the low pressure is what is expected with the new designs. I mentioned this during the checkout and explanation I received was that it was probably due to the overbooked hotel and everyone using the showers at the same time. HA! Really, your kidding right. Again for the amount paid, you would expect a better experience.

Concierge - I did not make reservations and expected restaurants to be booked. So I asked the concierge for local Italian restaurant recommendations in the surrounding areas. The guy was not much help. He kept saying everything was booked and offered olive garden and Carrabba's. Well thank goodness for yelp and urbanspoon bc they offered more advice than the Concierge at this hotel.

Zocca - I heard great reviews of this restaurant, unfortunately breakfast is not one of them. The breakfast buffet offered: scrambled eggs, scrambled eggs with sausage, sausage, bacon, skillet potatoes, muffins, pastries, fruit, oatmeal, pancake, and cereal. For the amount paid, you would expect more.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank isaisa

Thank you isaisa for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Riverwalk. Our operational teams were astounded to read that you experienced so many mishaps during your stay at our property. I can assure you that your experience, albeit discouraging, is not indicative of the quality of service we typically provide.

Thank you again for your comment and we welcome the opportunity to demonstrate that we are able to provide the quality of service you have every right to expect from the Westin Riverwalk.