“Everything is bigger in Texas”

The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio
Ranked #7 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Oh, how many times have I heard that expression since I’ve arrived in Texas but it seems that while this might be so with meals, friendliness of Texans, and cars or more to the point, monstrous sized trucks, this doesn’t apply to hotel rooms and in particular, the bathrooms!

That is, until I arrived at the Westin Riverwalk in San Antonio! The Director of Rooms, Danita Harth-Bates was very kind in arranging an upgrade for me and the room is huge with enough room in the bathroom to swing the proverbial cat! Just look at my photos! The separate bathtub itself was certainly Texan-sized and it was particularly welcome after staying at the two previous hotels here in San Antonio.

Good internet speed, very handy location and friendly staff, what else can we ask for?

As an example of this swift service, I ordered room service and the order was switched with another guests but once advised, they very swiftly came back with a replacement meal!
One side of this hotel looks straight out onto the river but unfortunately, not the side my room was on but my room did look out over the swimming pool but perhaps because of the inclement weather, no one seemed to avail themselves of it.

The hotel is in a very convenient location and easy walking distance to the Alamo which is a must to see for anyone coming to San Antonio. The excellent VIA bus service is very handy to the hotel and the busses were never crowded and good value! The bus drivers were also amongst the friendliest and most helpful that I’ve encountered anywhere.

The balcony off the lounge was good on the warm days and allowed fresh air into the room.
I'd thoroughly recommend this hotel to all visitors to San Antonio.

Room Tip: I was in 615, a lovely suite overlooking the swimming pool. The other side of the hotel overlooks t...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 11 March 2014

The Westin SA staff bent over backwards to assist us with any need. They helped us with additional bedding and upgrades needed to our trip. They were great. Only negative on the whole experience is that there is no in room fridge (only snack bar fridge) for those who need to refridgerate medications...the ice machine just don't cut it for a place focused on 1st class accommodations like the Westin! An in room microwave, or even a hotel guest kitchen area, would be a much needed amenity for a regular Westin customer & their family.

Beyond these small recommendations towards perfection, my family's stay and treatment were TOP NOTCH!

Room Tip: Corner Suites on the River are the best!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Westin on our recent trip to San Antonio.
I would like to mention that I was particularly pleased with Chris Aguilar in Security who was very helpful when I realized, once I got home, that I forgot my favorite sandals at the pool. I called the hotel to let them know and they put me through to Security. Chris told me he would look in all the places where I thought I may have left them and that he would call me right back. He called me back within 10 mins and said that he had found them at the pool and would send them via Fed Ex. The sandals arrived in great condition within a few days. Many thanks to Chris for being so efficient:)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
GBNCM, General Manager at The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Hello Cathyfromsaintlou,
Glad to hear that Chris found your sandals! Thank you for the feedback and for teling us about Chris.
We appreciate you staying with us and hope to see you again soon.
GM

Reviewed 10 March 2014

I begin by saying I have stayed at many Starwood properties around the world - this is the worst. It all started at check-in - arrived at 3:00 pm, no rooms ready like I had reserved, told it would be 10-15 minutes and they would call, never called. At 4:00 we returned to hotel, received key and proceeded up to room, wrong type of room. Called front desk, sent someone up to meet us at elevator - it took over 10 minutes. Went downstairs to retrieve car from valet, waited about 20 minutes - no car. There was mass confusion because we had switched rooms - lack of communication between front desk and valet. It took another 10-15 minutes to get the car and we were late for dinner reservations. Day 2 - call ahead to retrieve car from valet, wait over 20 minutes again, another fiasco - apparently our keys were locked in another guest's car - not sure how it happened - and they did not have those keys??? Once again, we were late for dinner reservations. Had to take a taxi there and back, of course paid for by the hotel. Day 3 - housekeeping staff decided to throw away my own personal shower amenities which I left in the shower (as I always do in every hotel I have ever stayed in). Needless to say, we will never stay at this Westin property again.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
6  Thank Debbyghouston
GBNCM, General Manager at The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Thank you Debbyghouston for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Riverwalk. Our operational teams were astounded to read that you experienced so many mishaps during your stay at our property. I can assure you that your experience, albeit discouraging, is not indicative of the quality of service we typically provide.

Thank you again for your comment and we welcome the opportunity to demonstrate that we are able to provide the quality of service you have every right to expect from the Westin Riverwalk.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Westin Riverwalk to celebrate our one year anniversary. It was such a nice touch to have the same room type (Corner Suite) as the one we had on our wedding day. Shortly after we checked in, we got a call from Eugene Schlaff to make sure everything was to our liking in the room, what a great personalized touch! He was even so kind as to send up a bottle of wine and a hand written card to wish us a happy anniversary and a great stay! This is the type of attention to detail that will keep us coming back to the Westin each year on our anniversary!

Upon check out, we must have been so relaxed from our wonderful stay, that my husband and I didn't do our normal "checks" to make sure we gathered all of our belongings. It wasn't until we arrived home that we realized that we had left several items in the room. We left a laptop charger and my husband's jacket hanging in the closet. Both items were quite costly and I was worried that the memories of our wonderful anniversary stay would be ruined if these items weren't recovered. When I called the hotel, I was connected with Manuel Martinez from security, who took down a description of our items. He was able to retrieve both in a very timely manner! I was pleased also that he took the time to ask me more questions to describe the items to confirm that those were truly ours. It showed his professionalism and attention to detail. Most importantly, I liked that he promptly called me back to save me from any further worry. We were able to pick up the items several days later and couldn't be happier that Manuel saved the day!

Well done Westin, we can't wait until our stay next year....and many more to come!

Room Tip: The corner suites have a huge bathroom and a wonderful, large soaking tub (separate from the glass e...
Reviewed 8 March 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Westin on our wedding day and we will continue to stay there every year on our anniversary. We had quick service and our room was the same type as our wedding day. It was very relaxing and a great break from our busy lives. Eugene Schlaff called the room minutes after we walked in to make sure we had everything we needed. He sent up some nice amenities and a bottle of wine for our stay. That really made it special that they remembered us from the year before. I have stayed at other Westin's around the country and think this is the best one by far. Thanks the Westin and Eugene for a great stay.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

The Westin brand of hotels is one of my favorites, and is usually to "go to" place whenever I travel, whether for business or leisure. Given this, I was looking forward to my first ever visit to San Antonio and staying at The Westin Riverwalk. Overall, I found it was a very nice facility: my room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The Westin Bed was great as always. But I did find that there was lack of attention to a number of details that I had come to expect from Westin Hotels.

First, although I was staying for 5 days, I had to 're-check in' for my last night as it was booked as two reservations. This has happened to me at other Westin Hotels, and never understood why. I didn't have to change rooms (thankfully!) but I did have to go down and get new keys for the same room.

Second, I signed up for the green program where I declined housekeeping in exchange for vouchers. I understood that the room would be cleaned on the third day. I neither received the daily vouchers, nor was the room cleaned on the third day. It wasn't cleaned until after the 4th night when I had to check out/check in on the 5th night. And when it was cleaned, it seemed like they left random things in the bathroom: I had two free bottles of water (which I had none when I first checked in) and a stack of magazines (which probably were meant for the end table in the room, and not the bathroom. They did credit me with Starwood points since they didn't give me any vouchers.

Third, I was planning on using the Reebok Westin Workout gear when you can borrow shoes and work out gear. They didn't have shoes my size, no shorts and could only give me a large shirt. And in the fitness room, the water dispenser was completely empty.

Finally, I was attending a meeting in the hotel. During coffee break on Sunday morning, there were no paper towels in the rest room. It did appear that we were the only meeting going on that morning, so I don't think they were all used up that morning. And given that there was no other way to dry your hands, this was an inconvenience.

I did enjoy my visit to San Antonio; it is a great city and it was great to stay right on the River Walk. I do hope that this lack of attention to detail was an anomaly for the hotel as it is not what I have come to expect of the Westin.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you bob_connelly for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Riverwalk. Our operational teams were astounded to read that you experienced so many mishaps during your stay at our property. I can assure you that your experience, albeit discouraging, is not indicative of the quality of service we typically provide.