“Excellent Service”

The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio
Ranked #5 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
“Excellent Service”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We visit San Antonio several times a year, and stayed at the Westin for the first time. From the moment we arrived, we were treated to unparalleled service. At the front desk, Meckenzie White went above and beyond to make sure we were happy. She treated us like VIP's. In the Zocco Restaurant, Chef Clarissa Leon prepared an incredibly delicious Lasagna and then treated us to some awesome tiramisu. We won't stay anywhere else.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Chris P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,174)
  • Arabic first
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I love this brand and have stayed at Westins all over the world - based on this experience and so many great reviews I expected more from this location than I got. It was an OK stay - but I couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed.

The good:

- riverwalk location
- nice lobby (loved the music)
- friendly employees
- clean

The not so good:

- As others have noted, while this is on the riverwalk it is not exactly in a prime part of it. You have to walk for a good while to get to all the 'stuff' you are probably looking for - restaurants, bars, shops, etc. This issue is currently exacerbated by non hotel related construction/repair going on along the part of the walk that you have to take to get anywhere...making it even worse by necessitating a trip up stairs off the walk...onto the street above...walk a block up there and then come back down to the riverwalk. It's not a huge deal but it's a hassle and an ugly and unwelcome detour. If I came again I would stay in one of the more centrally located riverwalk hotels.
- We ordered breakfast room service and left our room one morning at around 9am...when we returned around 1230pm our room service cart with all the dirty plates and partially eaten food was out in the hall...along with a bag of trash from another room and 2 dirty glasses outside another. When we returned at 230pm it was all still there. When we returned again at 5pm it was all still there. Upon leaving for dinner at 6pm we called the front desk to ask them to please remove the now 9 hour old breakfast mess....returned for the night around 11 pm and the cart was finally gone BUT the dirty glasses and bag of trash were STILL THERE - pretty sloppy, Westin - I guess we should have called about those items as well?
- We had our kids with us so had a room with 2 beds - they were small doubles (rather than queens) so more than a little cramped. I'm sure this is probably disclosed somewhere and I didn't look closely enough but we have become so accustomed to queen beds in other hotels that it was disappointing and not a very good sleep for anyone.
- $35 a day for a hotel guest to park there seems too high for this area.
- We had to pay $6 to use the business center computer (?!) in order to print something.
- Service in the restaurant downstairs was ridiculously slow - despite being virtually empty it took an inordinately long time to get the 3 simple sandwiches we ordered.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
GBNCM, General Manager at The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Hi MLO1965,
Thank you for leaving us your valuable feedback and for mentioning some of the positive aspects of the Westin Riverwalk, including our location, the lobby (music), and our friendly staff!

I'm sorry to hear about the housekeeping room service issue. I'll have the housekeeping team look into this so that it doesn't happen again.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Bill Petrella, GM
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My husband and I come to the Westin Riverwalk Hotel every month to inspect our properties. We have been coming here for several years on the recommendation of Eugene Schlaff. We met Eugene when he was a Chef and is now in management. Everyone at the Westin Riverwalk Hotel has always taken care of us as if we were family. We moved to El Paso because of my husband family though we consider San Antonio our home. The Westin Riverwalk hospitality makes our visit memorable and exciting. We love to eat at the restaurant on the river Zocca which is Italian cuisine. The servers are great and willing to accommodate our cravings. We especially love eating breakfast on the river. Ask for Angel he takes the extra step.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I loved staying at the Westin on the Riverwalk. My room was very nice, clean and comfortable. The common areas were gorgeous and I loved hanging out on the balcony at night or enjoying the happy hour in the lobby. The restaurant in the hotel had great food as well. I had a few issues that marred an otherwise lovely stay 1) Wi-Fi was only free in the lobby 2) The staff was not particularly helpful 3) and mainly I was in town for the ACFE conference and they refused to honor the rate that was negotiated for the conference, even though I booked very early. Very disappointing.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you gnatnelson, for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at The Westin Riverwalk. Thank you for pointing out various positive aspects of our hotel such as the common areas, the room balcony and Zocca Cuisine d'Italia.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Bill Petrella
Flower Mound, Texas
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed for three nights for a little vacation. The hotel is beautiful and in a good location on the Riverwalk. It's convenient to the hustle and bustle but just around a bend so a bit quieter which makes it more restful. We've stayed many times on the Riverwalk but this was the first time at the Westin and we will be back. Had a mostly good experience, however there were a couple of fails. Firstly, the workout room is hot in the morning. They do keep a little cooler of cold towels which helps but the air conditioning wasn't doing much of anything. Also, the machines are equipped with individual tvs but some don't work. Also, part way through my workout, the treadmill just shut off. Completely powered down and rebooted. It knocked out every alternate treadmill. There is clearly a short somewhere. Restarted my workout three different times one morning due to machine/tv issues which disrupts your rhythm and is frustrating.
More concerning was housekeeping. We left our room each morning around 8:30-9:00 and stayed gone all day returning around 5:00. It's summer in Texas. At that point we wanted to get cleaned up and relax before dinner and the evening. However, both days, housekeeping had yet to service our room. If it had been just once, I could have written it off but it was both days which says to me either the system doesn't work or they don't have enough staff. We were staying on a Starwood Preferred Guest floor which should have gotten us an even higher priority in my opinion but it didn't matter. We did mention this to the front desk and they took great care of us and got the matter corrected right away.
The pool bartender was amazing! The pool was quite busy both days and Kit was on top of it. She made the day we spent hanging out there even better!
Overall, the property is beautiful. The rooms were clean and well appointed. However, what makes this property great and better than every other Riverwalk hotel I have stayed in before (at least three other brands!) are the people. The staff is amazing! From the second we pulled up in our car to the time we left, every person we encountered from valet, to bellhop, to front desk, service personnel - every single one was friendly, accommodating and truly vested in making the Westin experience the best it can be. For that reason, I can overlook late housekeeping or hot workout rooms and I WILL be back at this property again.
Also good to note, it is easy to walk to the hopping part of the Riverwalk if you walk at street level then head down to the Riverwalk. The distance is only a couple of short blocks versus the winding and crowded Riverwalk sidewalks. It made it easier going to eat then taking the leisurely stroll back to the hotel. Also, spring for the valet parking. They give you the option to self park which means you take your chances and try to find somewhere nearby to park. It is easier and the small incremental cost is well worth it. They have in and out privileges so it is easy to come and go as often as you would like.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Lex,
Thanks for the leaving us your valuable feedback! I'm glad to hear that you had a nice time while staying at the Westin Riverwalk.

I'll mention the treadmill short to our operational staff so that they can get it corrected right away. Thanks for letting us know.

We appreciate you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Bill Petrella, GM
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

I truly enjoyed my stay at the Westin Riverwalk. I slept better than I have in a long time on the most luxurious bed ever. The "rainfall" showerhead was a real treat. Special thanks to J.R. Vasquez at the front door for his courtesy and knowledge of great restaurants in the area. J.R.'s advice was spot-on; my sister and I were absolutely delighted with our meals at each of the locations he recommended.

• Stayed June 2014
Hello Candace,
Thank you for taking the time to post such positive comments and for telling us about JR. We're certainly lucky to have him on our staff.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Bill Petrella
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We came to San Antonio to celebrate my husband's birthday and my in-law's 50th wedding anniversary. Of course we had to stay at the Westin Riverwalk, our favorite hotel in San Antonio. I can't say enough about the great service from everyone there. From Heidi Gross, the front desk manager, to J.R. and Jose (valet) greeting us with handshakes and hugs when we arrived, to the friendly barista in the coffee shop in the lobby (I wish I'd written down her name); everyone is so nice and friendly, and make us feel like family. Heidi recommended a new video/art installation called "Saga" at the church we were married in, San Fernando Cathedral (2 blocks from the hotel) and I'm so glad we went! It is spectacular and a unique attraction that should not be missed the next time you are in San Antonio. I love this hotel, but love it ESPECIALLY because of the employees that work there.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view of the Riverwalk, if possible. We noticed 2 bird nests with baby birds in...