“Nice hotel”

The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio
Ranked #7 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 1 September 2014 via mobile

We stayed here one night over the Labor Day weekend. While the river walk was packed, this hotel was a nice escape. The lobby is very nice. I hate that the overnight valet parking is so expensive, $37 and you have to pay for internet. We got a terrace room which had a very nice sized balcony. It is on the floor with the pool and gym, but we still found it very quiet. Nice, quick walk to everywhere.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Aaliz913
GBNCM, General Manager at The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2014

Thank you Aaliz913, we really appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments - it’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels.
Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Nice pics, thanks for sharing them!

Reviewed 1 September 2014

Beautiful room and great view. We needed to get away to celebrate our anniversary and the Westin Riverwalk was a perfect location for that. The staff couldn't have been more friendly. The pool was a nice spot to cool off and the pool bartender Kitt was the best. Upon our arrival Mackenzie welcomed us wonderfully by already identifying that I was an SPG member (which I'd just forgotten about) and it really sends the perfect initial message that they are already looking out for you.

The location is at the end of the River walk so you have the beauty but not all the clamor of the tourist traffic but it's a short walk to get into the excitement as well. Loved the room, cleanliness and decor of common areas was inviting and the staff couldn't be more friendly.

If I was going to offer any suggestions:

1. The pool is small and got crowded quickly it was not uncomfortable but did run out of towels and a few more chairs should be made available once guests are sitting on brick walls.

2. I don't pay for WiFi when I'm paying over $200 a night for a hotel, there are certain
amenities that are common place even in basic establishments. It hurts the establishment not to offer it, e.g., I couldn't look up the Westin's restaurant menu so we went somewhere else for dinner (and breakfast the next morning).

3. We were there for our anniversary and while I'm not whining for 'freebies' I will state that the last two hotels we chose to spend previous anniversaries at did indeed surprise us with 'extra' acknowledgement of our day and our time shared at their hotel. We had everything from a bottle of champagne sent up to the room to an immediate room upgrade but something as simple as a card sent up to the room acknowledges that they know we could have gone anywhere and we chose their establishment. It didn't hurt our stay by any means it's just one of those touches that separates the good hotels from the great ones.

Loved the hotel and the staff. They are friendly and mostly attentive and the location and view are amazing. With a little more effort it could be an amazing experience instead of just above the norm.

Reviewed 1 September 2014

My wife and I decided to get away for the weekend and decided at the Westin. I am an SPG member (lifetime Gold) but have been Platinum before. Since then, I have moved a lot of my stays to Hyatt and Omni.

First, the hotel itself. The driveway to the hotel is very small and tight. I passed it the first time and had to loop back. If you intend to valet, be prepared to pay $37USD per night to have that privilege. Ridiculous.

The check in desk is VERY small. I believe there were only 3 counters. Fortunately, we didn't have to wait long, but I can imagine if there were a lot of people checking in at the same time.

The rooms are typical, nothing fancy but you can tell the hotel needs updating. The room was 70 degrees and we were both freezing. I tried pressing button to get the room warmer, but it didn't work. I decided to just turn it off until it got warm. The balcony was very small and we had a decent view. Warning: There is a lot of sound coming in from the hallway. While sleeping, we were woken up with kids running down the hallway (1:45am). I understand it can't be soundproof, but this was very loud.

Because we were only staying one night, I really didn't worry about internet or bringing my computer. But, we wanted to get information on some restaurants. I found out that internet is NOT FREE - even for GOLD members. If I wanted to receive my gift, it would be 250 points. What a joke.

If you are dedicated to SPG and need the mattress nights, then the Westin makes sense. I will not be returning to the Westin property. No free internet, ridiculous valet prices and the level of service was more of a Four Points Sheraton instead of a Westin.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you tqdesign for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Riverwalk. However, it is unfortunate to read that you did not experience 100% guest satisfaction during your visit. Your comments have been reviewed and shared with our management team. We certainly apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay. I can assure you that your experience, albeit discouraging, is not indicative of the type of overall experience that we typically provide.

Thank you again for your comment and we welcome the opportunity to demonstrate that we are able to provide the quality of stay and service you have every right to expect from the Westin Riverwalk.

Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

We're regular guests here. The staff is attentive and helpful, our dog is welcome, and the location is good. My only significant complaint is about the valet situation. It's simply unacceptable to charge $36 a night for valet service that is slow and frustratingly disorganized. The quoted "15-minute-turn-around time" would be annoying enough if it were accurate. But, far too often, it's not. At check-out this afternoon, we waited over 30 minutes. Poor form, Westin. We paid for better, and we expect it.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you Cedevine for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at the Westin Riverwalk. Our operational teams were astounded to read that you experienced this issue with our valet. I can assure you that your experience, albeit discouraging, is not indicative of the quality of service we typically provide.

Thank you again for your comment and we welcome the opportunity to demonstrate that we are able to provide the quality of service you have every right to expect from the Westin Riverwalk.

Reviewed 31 August 2014

We had planned a weekend away, and due to a mix up with the reservation, we found we did not have a reservation upon arrival. Danita and her staff went out of their way to help us work with the SPG points program to redeem points and get a room. They took a lot of time to go over restaurants in the area for us, and when they found out it was my wife's birthday, they had chocolates delivered to the room with a birthday card signed by everyone. The hotel is very nice and clean and well-kept, but the staff made the visit exceptional.

Reviewed 30 August 2014

The Westin Riverwalk Hotel is a beautiful hotel located on the Riverwalk in San Antonio. The staff were friendly and helpful, making our stay that much more pleasant. Not much of a gift shop, but The Zocca restaurant served good food at reasonal prices. There's also a coffee shop for those who like gourmet coffee and tea drinks; it serves fresh fruit cups, yogurt parasites, etc. The pool and workout area on the fourth floor was very nice and well-equipped, but I couldn't find access to this area except by elevator, and I'm not the type of person who wants to be seen on my way to my room after a workout! The hotel is close to the Alamo and all other attractions in the downtown area. The many restaurants and bars along the Riverwalk make for a great atmosphere with pretty much every type of food you could ask for. It didn't get too loud, even at night, so it's okay for your kiddos. Take the river boat road in the evening, when the temperatures are cooler. And wear sunscreen! I rarely miss an opportunity to visit this fun city and would stay again at the Wesstin Riverwalk.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Riverwalk!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Thank you Jeannine, for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback on your stay at The Westin Riverwalk. Thank you for pointing out various positive aspects of our hotel such as the restaurant, our Cafecito and pool.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 29 August 2014

OMG- my husband and I checked in yesterday for our 8/29 anniversary. My husband is disabled so I had a scooter delivered to the hotel. Front desk was fantastic, they had the scooter charged and ready to go. Andrew was wonderful, suggested restaurants/night clubs for my husband and I.. Valet and the bell hop (so sorry I do not remember name) was fantastic. Andrew provided us with free drinks and free appetizer/free dessert at Zocca. Zocca was outstanding, you must try the seafood risotto or the sirloin tips. All, please ask to sit in Cynthia's section. She was so sweet, professional, and kind. Free anniversary dessert was provided. She was very patient. We were so pleased we are going back for lunch tomorrow and will definitely sit in her section. I did not get the bartender's name, but kudos to you for personally accommodateing me with my stuffed blue cheese olives for my grey goose dirty martini. As of today, everyone at the Westin has made our 16th anniversary something to remember.

Room Tip: River walk room was great