“Awesome stay”

The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio
Ranked #12 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 21 March 2006

My family and I stayed here for a little Spring Break getaway--not the "Girls Gone Wild" variety. We had a beautiful room overlooking the Riverwalk. Loved the landscaping on our part of the river. Close to everything, but far enough away for some peace and quiet. The staff was incredibly nice and accomodating. As noted by another reviewer, don't miss Schilo's deli a short walk away... great homemade root beer. I highly recommend the Westin Riverwalk and hope to return soon.

4  Thank Jilld3
Write a ReviewReviews (4,177)

Reviewed 20 March 2006

An unforgetable stay!
I went on business (3 days, 2 nights). Had a balcony with a view of the river(walk).
Soft, comfortable bed. Also, excellent room service and bar (though pricey).
During the day I could get to the convention center walking along the river (walk).
In the evenings, other visitors taking river cruises would float by , waving.
If I hadn't been alone, it would have been very romantic.
I would definitely choose to stay there again!

• Stayed: March 2005, travelled on business
3  Thank jamagilk
Kansas City
Reviewed 19 March 2006

Overall, it was a great experience. With a little effort this hotel could be a 5 star. When we first arrived, our room overlooking the river walk was not available. We had booked and paid for this 4 weeks prior to arriving. This should not have happened. However, the evening manager apologized and stated we would get a room the next day overlooking the riverwalk with an extra large balcony. Also they gave our family a free breakfast. True to her word, they started to move us. After looking at the new room, we decided to stay where we were at. We stayed in a king size bedroom which had much more room then the double. We did not have a balcony on our room, but the hotel had balcony type rooms located off the main lobby and that worked well (wireless network was great). The bed was extremely comfortable. The room was large and all 5 of us fit in there nicely. If price is not the issue, Westin offers a great breakfast. The fruit was very very fresh. I mentioned earlier that this could be a 5 star hotel. To make it such would take a little more effort on service. The door men should open doors consistently when someone is going in or out. (Doors are extremely heavy). A late checkout would have been nice since our flight didn't leave until 5:30pm. Not a canned statement of we are sold out. I went by the room around 2pm and our room had not started to be cleaned. We would have paid extra for the late checkout. Free wireless in the rooms would have been a nice. I didn't have a problem going to the open area by the lobby, but my wife would have liked to get online in the room. Parking was cheaper accross the street then at our hotel. The pool was cold. The tissues were empty in the room. Used tea bags needed replaced. Front staff needed to be a little friendlier and a little more amicable to customers. Some positives. The bed was very comfortable. We liked the room in the room. I liked the fact that the convenient store was there and hours of operation. We only had breakfast there, but it was very good. The elevators were very responsive and very fast and smooth. We never had the feeling we were bunched together with a lot of other guests. The location of the hotel was great. It was nice they had some games for the kids to play. Would we stay there again. Yes we would.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Plano, TX
Reviewed 12 March 2006

I booked a weekend getaway at the Westin Riverwalk for my wife and I on our 5th Wedding Anniversary. I spent a little extra on the "Romance Package", which included wine and strawberries, daily in-room breakfast, and a late 4:00 p.m. check out.

First, we were given the wrong room. I booked a room with a large 14x30 balcony and they gave me a room with a 4x8 balcony. That took an hour to get sorted out.

Second, I had a florist deliver flowers to the front desk with the instructions they were to be waiting in our room when we arrived. Instead, they had been sitting at the front desk for hours and were only delivered to our room once I inquired about them.

Third, we waited for 1 1/2 hours for the wine and strawberries to be delivered to the room.

Fourth, we were told we could not check out late, per the package, because of the availability.

I will never stay at The Westin Riverwalk again. The Riverwalk is awesome and there are plenty of other hotels to stay at.

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 7 March 2006

As noted in other reviews, not the least expensive place to stay but well worth the investment. We enjoyed very spacious corner room overlooking the riverwalk. Very courteous and informative concierge on two separate occasions. Within walking distance of everything and far enough away from the hectic "restaurant" row around the corner to be able to sit in relative peace while enjoying an afternoon cocktail.

Took previous reviewer's advice and walked over to Schilo deli for breakfast. Great decision.

Save up $$ for dinner at Bohanans. Very expensive but the best dining experience I have ever enjoyed. Would go back again.

6  Thank one_of_seven
Potomac, MD
Reviewed 18 February 2006

Spent 5 days here in January. Very nice spacious room with a great location so convenient to the Riverwalk. I didn't have a car and I found the public transportation to be good. The local downtown trolley stops very close to the hotel and you can connect to buses to get out to other destinations. The staff was quite accommodating. We found the concierge service particularly helpful. Nice touches in the lobby --chocolates every evening in the lobby, and a bowl of crisp apples too. However, the charges for any thing purchased from the hotel are overpriced. Water in the room is $5 a bottle. There a high surcharges for the telephone, and internet service. We had breakfast one morning in the hotelwhich was very good but quite expensive. Try Schilo's Delicatessen, just two blocks away on 424 E Commerce St for great breakfasts at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: January 2006, travelled on business
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 February 2006

We stayed here for our anniversary. Deluxe room and bed. Close to thhe Riverwalk.....had a great stay.

• Stayed: September 2003