“A hotel with class on the Riverwalk.....”

The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio
Ranked #5 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 22 October 2010

I have stayed on the River walk no less than 15 times. This Westin is a very classy hotel located at the end of the walk. It is costly, but I do believe you get what you pay for. Be aware, if you are a diehard Coca Cola person, this is a Pepsi property.
I like the fact this Westin is NOT an atrium hotel. It lessens the noise in your room. Also, even though the property has river access, since located further down from the congestion, it lessens possible noise from the river level.
As nice as this hotel is, if bringing kids, it might not be a great fit. The river walk as an attraction has appeal; the homeless and challenged people in the city changes the atmosphere. Staying on the river level is better than walking on street level.
If you are in search for a hotel with a nice pool, don't stay at any river walk hotel. Consider the Westin La Cantera, or another hill country themed resort. I will post a picture of the pool at this Westin.
The exercise facility has nice equipment. It is not too large of a place so plan on waiting and sharing when crowded.
The staff was professional and courteous.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
WestinRiverwalkMgmt1, General Manager at The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2010

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We were glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at The Westin Riverwalk. At this time, we are a Pepsi brand property, however we would be glad to keep in communication with you if a change to Coca-Cola products occurs.
We hope to see you again when your travel brings you back to San Antonio.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio

Reviewed 13 October 2010

This is a great hotel. We were in San Antonio to for a girl's trip to celebrate a friend's birthday! This hotel is in a good location. Not right in the middle of all the restaurants on the RiverWalk but only a couple of blocks away. It was a surprisingly easy walk to the main attraction on the River and there were also a few cute bars and restaurants along the way. I think you can also walk on the RiverWalk to get to the attraction but we just stayed on the street level. The hotel itself is very elegant and the lobby is decorated beautifully. Check-In was great and we were able to save a few dollars by self-parking in the lot across the street. We just dropped off our stuff at the door and ran the car over to park. The rooms are a great size and clean. I would absolutely stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank ccctravels
WestinRiverwalkMgmt1, General Manager at The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2010

We were very delighted to hear that you selected our hotel to celebrate your friend's birthday. It was nice to also hear that you appreciated our staff and the service provided to you during your visit to The Westin Riverwalk.

We certainly appreciate you sharing your comments and look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 11 October 2010

The Hotel was wonderful but what set it apart for me was the incredible staff. All of the staff were friendly, knowledgable, kind and courtious willing to help with whatever I need. One associate in particular (Farrell) went out of his way to accomodate me and make my stay an extremely pleasant one so much so that I would return to this hotel without question or further comparison.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
WestinRiverwalkMgmt1, General Manager at The Westin Riverwalk, San Antonio, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2010

We certainly appreciate you sharing your positive comments about The Westin Riverwalk and especially about our associate, Farrell. It was nice to hear that he exceeded your expections and made you feel special during your visit to our hotel.
Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed 26 September 2010

We initially stayed at the Drury Inn and Suites, but checked out after 1 night as it was horrible! We came to the Westin and were upgraded to a river view room. The view from our balcony was not great, because we had to look right at the Drury!!!! Other than that, it was very nice. The room was well appointed and the beds were extremely comfortable. The room is quite spacious, with a huge closet and a large bathroom with nice toiletries and decor. The staff was extremely accommodating and friendly. The inroom coffee was starbucks. There are so many choices of restaurants on the riverwalk that we did not get a chance to try the hotel restaurant. The internet was about $12 daily, and the parking garage across the street was $15 day. The valet parking was quite expensive ($30) so we did not use this service.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Bahamas242

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive comments about The Westin Riverwalk. We were glad to hear that you enjoyed our signature "Heavenly Beds" as well as our accommodating associates.
We hope to welcome you back to our hotel when you return to San Antonio in the future!

Reviewed 21 September 2010

As many of my posts, you can take 'em or leave 'em each of us has our own take on things. I see no reason this post to be any different and if high class and respect is what you want then "The Westin Riverwalk" is for you. It has to be to get away with charging as much as 400 plus dollars a night.

As they say; "location location location" and the Westin has that. It is located in a perfect spot in downtown San Antonio good luck finding the driveway on your first pass (hint: it's on the right hand side of the one way street, although you're turning left from another one way street). The valet parking is nice, staff very respectful of your vehicle and of you. Those guys treat you like royalty and in fact everyone does to some point. Be warned, parking is $30.00 per day which is crazy. You can use the parking garage across the street, they do.

Front doormen are quick to help you with a smile and an old fashion tip of the hat. Jose is the best, friendly knowledgeable quick to help you even with dumpiest tourist questions. The front desk staff was equally good, one particular employee (Forrest?) was funny and customer service dedicated even though he was called in on his day off and there were computer issues.

Restaurant, well find somewhere else. I cannot say anything nice about this experience, first impression was expensive and fancy but an unsupervised screaming kids and a very active tiny bar made the experience worthless. You have to walk through the bar to get to the restaurant, the bar was designed to be elegant but was more like a sports bar.

In the end, all I can say is do not rely on staff for a common local non tourist trap places to eat, they will always recommend the very expensive riverwalk restaurants. I cannot count how many employees I stopped and ask; "Can you recommend a local, "travel channel" type place place to get a real Texas style steak/potato dinner?" I even jokingly referred to myself was "white trash, trailer" prices. They still could not help me.

I do not recommend this hotel but only because of pricing verses the setting. I figure you cannot have it both ways. A hotel with high class prices in the middle of a common/tourist area does not always work and can be misleading to some less traveled. Try it and experience it for yourself.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business

We appreciate hearing about your positive experience at The Westin Riverwalk. Thank you for taking time to post your comments and especially for recognizing our valet, Jose as well as our Front Office staff. I'm sorry you did not have the opportunity to enjoy our restaurant Zocca during your stay, but hope you will return to enjoy everything we have to offer.

Thank you for chosing to stay at The Westin Riverwalk and we hope to see you back in the near future.

Reviewed 19 September 2010

I gotta admit that I was expecting the worse of this hotel after reading so many mixed reviews. The Westin Hotel proved me wrong! The location is fabulous! There's a parking garage right across the street from the hotel (my husband and I opted to self park and the cost i s $15/day which worked out well since we did not use our car at all for the duration of our trip). Everything was marvelous from the moment you walk in. There's a doorman to greet and open the door for you, the staff was super friendly and helpful.

Checking in was painless. When we got to our room, everything in there was beyond what we expected. My husband and I enjoyed a great view of the RiverWalk (the hotel is located on the quieter side of the RiverWalk which was perfect, and you can walk a block up the street to get to the entertainment). The room was HEAVENLY (just as the hotel promises). Everything in our room was spotless. The bathroom was delightful! The shower had dual showerheads (again HEAVENLY). We did not experience any disturbances with noises, etc. so that was a plus. Concierge was always friendly and fast to meet your needs. Also, after reading many reviews about the overpriced water bottles that gets billed to your room account, I was prepared to face this and brought our own water bottles, but when we got to our room, none was there (so maybe this changed?) The Starbucks coffee and Tazo teas was a great amenity (considering I am a huge Starbucks customer).

There is a nice Italian restaurant at the hotel, but unfortunately, my husband and I did not get a chance to try it out.

My husband and I took morning walks every day that we were there, and we would randomly pick a restaurant to try out (menus are set out for you to take a look before you decide to sit and dine at most restaurants). At night, everything was lively and entertaining along the RiverWalk.

This was our first trip to San Antonio, and we definitely know where we shall always book our stays! The Westin Hotel was a magical experience (I wish we didn't have to leave! lol!)

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for posting your positive review. We were delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at The Westin Riverwalk and that your experience exceeded your expectations. We hope to see you again soon for your next stay in San Antonio.

Reviewed 18 September 2010

I stayed in the Westin for one night on business and just loved the hotel. The 'heavenly bed' is very comfortable and really a treat after a long day. The hotel is right along the Riverwalk, and down the street from several restaurants and the Alamo. The bathroom was well appointed, huge and had lovely toiletries. I had breakfast in the restaurant downstairs and they were very kind and the oatmeal was quite good.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business