“Property was run down and shabby. Furniture was "salvation...”

Rodeway Inn Downtown near Riverwalk
Ranked #261 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Property was run down and shabby. Furniture was "salvation army" in appearance and functionally. Cleanliness was marginal. Overall, property was old and tired.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Gautam S, Guest Relations Manager at Rodeway Inn Downtown near Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Peggy,

We are disheartened to hear that you found our accommodations to be less than desirable. We appreciate your honest feedback regarding the condition of our furniture and will take it into consideration. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in the future. Thank you for your business.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

This place is FILTHY. Rooms are disgusting. The pictures on line must have been taken quite some time ago before the current owners took over. The elevator was so disgustingI didn't want to get in. Towels are very thin. No plastic laundry bag. Let's talk about breakfast room: not the cleanest, barely any syrup in jar, no lids for coffee, milk appeared to be watered down, orange juice was hot and very watery. Safe in room costs $4 and the inner mechanism for our room was held on with black electrical tape. If you don't want to use the safe make sure you have charge removed from your bill. I could go on and on, but do yourself a favor and keep searching for a nicer cleaner motel. There are so many other places to stay. Why did we stay here? Traveling with another couple and they booked the rooms.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Helen,

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you felt during your stay at Travelodge San Antonio. We take pride in ensuring our customer’s satisfaction and unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. We are sorry that you were disappointed with the hotel room accommodation, cleanliness, safety, and the overall hotel facilities.

It is our mission to restore your confidence in our hotel in order to provide a more positive guest experience. We will be evaluating the points made in your review to determine the best coarse of action.

Thank you again, for your honest feedback. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in the future.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

WE have enjoyed many many years of coming to San Antonio and staying at this wonderful place, we feel it is a home away from home, we love the staff and the location and the very nice way we have been trreated....would highly recommend this place if you want a fair price and to be treated like family.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

We want you to know how much we appreciate the positive feedback you have given to us. We understand that you have many options when selecting your travel accommodations and we are so pleased that you have made us as your choice hotel.

It has been our pleasure giving you the excellent service you deserve and are glad that you have enjoyed the hotels location and staff.

Thanks again! We look forward to serving you for many years to come.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 3 April 2014

We drove from airport and it’s about 15 to 20 minutes’ drive.

Check in~ Arrived at hotel about 1:00am. Doors were locked and had to use small window to check in, this is for security reasons, would have been better except window is very small and I couldn't hear anything she was saying. Maybe some type of speaker would also be better. Check in process went very smooth; she was very nice young lady.

Rooms ~ we were given our room and were able to park right in front of the door. Walking in the room and we knew instantly that the rooms are dated. Big old TV, not flat screen. Dated window treatments, and was missing one panel, the other panel was filthy. Bedspreads were very dated, and one had a large hole in it. Iron burns in two places on floors. Upon further inspection there was someone's old ear plug for sleeping besides the bed, showed lack of good cleaning.
~bathroom needed some major cleaning. There was mold around mirror, also some spots on mirror that were possibly mold as well. Sink was pealing and chipping, around the base if faucet was also filthy.

~ Door needed adjustment; it let a lot of light in through cracks. Didn't close properly light came through top and sides. Lock was secure, but you had to make sure you pulled it tight behind you. I felt the door needed to be replaced.

We weren't about to go look for a different hotel at 1:00 am, so we stayed the night. Beds were comfortable, and the air conditioner worked.

~We decided to stay because the price was in our price range. In the morning I told management (owners) about bedspread and he apologized and we were given two new (more modern) bedspreads. They both had stains on them, but because they were freshly washed I didn't complain.

~ No microwave or fridge, room does have an older working blow dryer, Room had an iron, but no ironing board and in room safe was nice, but was without working batteries. Has an outdoor pool, we didn't use this. There is also a coffee pot in room.

~ Location, location, location, I have to say if you are looking for a place
downtown, the location is about 5 or 6 blocks from the Alamo and Riverwalk. There is also a trolley stop right across the street for those that want to go that route. You can pay some huge dollars for the hotels right on the Riverwalk, or stay here for a lot less. We choose saving money. The walk was nice, we felt safe. You did encounter some homeless people along the way but I saw them on a lot of streets downtown.

~Breakfast...it's nice to have the complimentary breakfast, there are not a lot of choices, but we were able to eat enough to skip lunch. They had two kinds of cereal, breads with toaster, bananas, small muffins, rolls and waffle makers to make your own waffle. There was coffee, juice and milk for beverages; again, not a ton of choices, enough to fill us up.

~Ants... The 2nd day we noticed that around the sink there were small ants
around. There was no food, or spilled sugary drinks, they didn’t have a reservation, and were some uninvited pests! Some days there was lots of them and other days a couple of them. I usually killed them. <gasp> I have had an occasional ant problem in my own home and didn't want hotel spraying for them while I was in the room, so we waited to tell management the day we left. They apologized for it and said they would spray for them. Speaking to other guests, they didn't have any. I am just sharing the info.

Overall this room needs some major renovations, it is near the owners rooms, and they have wood shutters on their windows, I got a couple of looks into the owner’s entry ways and their places look great. My feelings is treat your guests the same way you would want to be treated, spend a little on new updates and you will see your business grow.

If you are a picky neat freak type of person don't stay here, you will probably not like it. If you are someone who can tolerate some older rooms with not all the modern and top of the line things than by all means stay here. You will save yourself some money, be close to Riverwalk and the Alamo in a safe neighborhood.

I stayed here for a relative’s graduation from the Air Force; it is a short 15 minute drive to Lackland AFB.

Once again, you have choices to where you stay, after you read reviews, make your own choice. My 17 year old son stayed with me, and he said that he would rather stay here and save some money so we can do other things, then pay more money for an expensive hotel and do less things. I gave it a poor rating because I felt it really needs some renovations and better attention to cleaning! I would stay again, because of prices, but I would inspect room prior before taking what they give me.

Thanks for reading this far! That about completes my review, I end all of my reviews with saying the following: Please do NOT hesitate to email me with any further questions. I look at the glass half full not half empty, I will be honest with you but you have to remember what I might think is the best, you might not think the same. Tell me what your expectations are and I will tell you if I 'think'' it will be a good match.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank AimIN4oneMil

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a candid and in-depth review about your stay with us. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences you experienced in respect to the ants. We take pride in ensuring our customer’s satisfaction and unfortunately, we did not meet your expectation in some areas.

We appreciate that you took the time to point out both positive and what you found to be less desirable points. This feedback really does help us to understand our guest needs and expectations and serves to help us identify what corrective action to take.

We deeply value your relationship with our hotel and we are committed to providing you with the highest level of service simply because our customers deserve the very best.

We hope to earn your business again in the future.

Reviewed 24 March 2014