“Comfortable room in a great location.”
Review of Bird Rock Hotel

Bird Rock Hotel
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Friday Harbor
GreenLeadersSilver level
Onalaska, Wisconsin
“Comfortable room in a great location.”
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We selected the Bird Rock Hotel because it was only a block from our kayaking trip pickup location and ferry dock. The staff was pleasant. It was a little pricey at $200 a night for the Whidby room, but the amenities were very nice. The robes supplied were incredibly soft. The shampoos and lotions were locally made. We took advantage of the one-speed bikes (with wide, old-fashioned comfortable seats) for a lovely five mile ride around the peninsula and enjoyed the welcome cookies and lemonade on our return. A nice breakfast launched us on our way.

Watch out for the corner posts that rise about eight inches at the foot of the bed. You can easily smack your leg on them.

Earplugs were provided, but we did not use them and really didn't feel that we needed to with the location of our room. There was some early morning noise around sunrise, but it wasn't too much of a problem for us.

Room Tip: I think the Whidby room is quieter than those that are directly on the street. The Whidby is a lowe...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I can't say enough great things about this hotel. It's really more like a B&B rather than a hotel - this is a place where they really get to know you and make you feel at home. The staff were all so nice and welcoming and went out of their way to provide all the necessary comforts.

We booked the Whidbey room which was classified as their "standard room" but really it's anything but. It's a one bedroom suite although the bedroom is really just big enough for the queen bed and two side tables. There's a living room and kitchenette area. The living room is very cozy and has a sofa bed for additional guests. The bathroom is decent sized and larger than some big name hotel chains I've stayed in. The bed is one of the best beds I've slept in. The room is modern compared to most places on the island.

The amenities are pretty amazing. Direct TV, local shampoos and soaps (which all smell amazing), fluffy robes to wear (so much softer than what I've had at 4* hotels), well-rounded breakfast with juice, coffee, tea, homemade scones, toast, yogurt, fruit, eggs, etc and in the afternoon they have homemade strawberry lemonade with freshly made chocolate chip cookies. What more can you ask for??

Location wise, it's perfect. It's a 5 min walk from the ferry and very close to the main area of town (Friday Harbor is small so most places are close). You can also use the amenities such as the pool, jacuzzi, sauna, etc at their sister hotel, Earthbox Inn, which is less than a 10 min walk up the street. We didn't have a car so I'm not familiar with the parking situation.

So why take off a star in the rating? It really pains me to say what's been said a thousand times on here but yes, there are some ridiculously loud noises at this property at ungodly hours. I thought I was pretty safe considering that the Whidbey room is recessed into the back of the building but I was wrong. Around 4am, I was woken up to the loudest screeching noise that continued for the next 2 hours. It sounded like someone was unloading a delivery truck with one of those large moving dollies to move large pallets (just a guess but still not sure what it was). And yes, I had my ear plugs in, which the hotel provides in all their rooms. I'm a pretty heavy sleeper and if I woke up to the noise, it would have to be extremely loud to wake me up. It wasn't a pleasant way to wake up before starting a three-day kayaking trip.

Friday Harbor is pricey for accommodation but given the service, amenities and modern luxuries, I found Bird Rock Hotel good value compared to the others. Regardless of the noise issue, I would stay here again and I would highly recommend this place to anyone that isn't a light sleeper!

Note: We stayed here during a time when Friday Harbor had cool weather (mid to high 60's) and the Whidbey room was very comfortable in temperature. There are two ceiling fans (one in the living room and one in the bedroom) which will help circulate the air. I think this room would stay cool during warm months because it's located down below towards the back (but it's not the basement, hard to describe), unlike their other rooms which are upstairs and I can see how those rooms can get stifling hot since hot air rises in a building, which others have mentioned previously (there's no A/C in most places on Friday Harbor).

Room Tip: Try to pick a room that isn't on the upper floors during the warm summer months. I don't th...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Indianapolis
Reviewed 28 June 2012

The hotel is great with a very helpful staff. Breakfast is 7-10 and is all freshly made. Very clean and modern with well appointed rooms. Right in the heart of town so easy access to everything. Do be prepared for some noise from the bar across the street. The onlly night this happened was Saturday night when they had a live band and it was quiet by 2 am. The hotel does warn you about the noise though.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Wonderful surprises in this vintage but modern hotel right in the heart of Friday Harbor. We loved our room, the Matia, with a large and comfortable bed. Our room use shared bathrooms, which were very clean and convenient. The breakfast bar included many very yummy and healthy choices. This hotel had everything you might need, and the staff are super friendly and relaxed. This is a perfect hotel for a couple looking for a great hotel with easy walking access, and a range of prices for shared bathroom rooms to large suites with BIG bathrooms! Check it out, there are many perks for guests at this hotel and you won't be disappointed!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 26 June 2012

My partner and I absolutely loved this quaint, updated vintage, eco-conscious hotel. The rooms transport you to a peaceful escape. The organic bedding is absolutely marvelous. I instantly feel asleep. We stayed in the Matia one night. The shared bathroom was the nicest I have ever had in a hotel. I love how the hotel uses large bottles of shampoo, body wash and conditioners in the shower instead of using those wasteful small bottles which tend to end up in the garbage. On the second night, we stayed in the Whidbey. It had a small kitchen area which could easily be used to prepare lunch or dinner.

The breakfast was delicious. I love that they use local produce. The fresh berries were marvelous and the scones were delicious. There was also a nice selection of organic teas. Each afternoon, the staff served up some scrumptious cookies!

hh
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Very nice BB/hotel. Friendly staff.

Wish they had more of a variety for breakfast. Also the WIFI was weak or did not work

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank bob s
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 19 June 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed 2 nights in the Marrowstone Suite. I'll start with the positives. The bed was rather comfortable. The bathroom is spacious and has 2 shower heads. The continental breakfast is solid, cookies and lemonade are available at all hours, and one of the staff (1 of 2) is courteous and professional.

Now for the negatives..

#1. Around 2:30am on our first night, we were awoken to the piercing sound of our bedroom window (located 2 feet from the head of our bed) being shattered, presumably the handiwork of one of the distinguished patrons of the nearby bars. When we approached the Bird Rock staff the following day to inform them of what had happened, a kind young lady replied, "Oh. I probably know the guys who did it."

We took comfort in knowing that the person who smashed in our window in the middle of the night was in fact an acquaintance of the staff.

#2. After our reassuring encounter with the staff, we set out for the day and had a great time exploring San Juan Island. We returned late that afternoon to our suite and found the front door completely unlocked. Mind you, this is the only suite that can be accessed without actually entering the hotel lobby. Now, you may scoff and say, "Friday Harbor is a quaint, historic town! There's no need to lock your doors!" But keep in mind that we had been in town less than 24 hours, and I'd already experienced a more direct threat on my safety than I had in the previous 10 years---when I lived in St. Louis. So, suffice it to say that I was not pleased by housekeeping's cavalier attitude towards the security of my personal belongings.

The remaining complaints are relatively trivial. The hot tub was too hot and couldn't be adjusted. The fireplace didn't really work. The 2nd night brought no more broken glass but the street noise is as loud as advertised and will require the use of earplugs.

The hotel offered no compensation for our unsolicited 2:30am wake up call. In fact, they didn't even offer a proper apology.

5 Thank gjpalaga
EarthboxLaura, Manager at Bird Rock Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Dear Gjpalaga,
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your stay.
I'm so sorry and quite embarrassed about how our staff treated your concerns and safety. You are absolutely right, that it is of very little comfort to you to know that one of us may know who smashed the window. Please believe me that this is not how we usually react to complaints. This is not the customer service experience we thrive to give. I'm also very disappointed you found the door wide open. This too is totally unacceptable, small town or not. Just so you know, and I'm not trying to make lame excuses, the broken window has been a first. It was Friday. We have but one glass repair person on the island. We were trying to get him to look at it before the weekend and in the heat of the moment somebody must have left the door open (probably not our housekeepers; they are wonderful)
The fire place and hot tub could have been easy fixes, but I don't blame you for not bringing them to our attention.
Please accept our sincere apologies for our unprofessional behavior. Will you promise to contact me and give us a chance to make it up to you? I'll be back in the office on Saturday.
Steffi Wehner