“Perfect”

Bird Rock Hotel
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Friday Harbor
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I stayed in two different rooms. Patos and Skip Jack. Both were perfect. Skip Jack is a little small but just perfect after flying from NY to Seattle and then sea plane to Friday Harbour. It's an all day trip and all I needed was a great bed. Skip Jack was perfect and there is a really nice shared terrace that makes it seem bigger for the day time. Then I changed to Patos. Lovely corner room with same shared terrace and lots of light. Shared bath in my rooms which had me a tiny bit worried but it was never a problem. There are two and they were never both occupied when I wanted them. All perfect.

Room Tip: I didn't have a problem but some people complain about noise. Ask the front desk what is away fr...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 22 July 2012

A century-old hotel about 2 blocks out of town. Comfortable bed and excellent bath. Good TV with plenty of channels (DirecTV with HBO). While they warn about noise from neighbors, the internal noise is the problem... the plumbing is loud, and noise from the hall filters into the room.

Our first morning, the breakfast food was almost all gone by the time we ate (around 9:45 AM). The second morning, the breakfast was much better -- lots of fruit and excellent current scones.

Reviewed 19 July 2012

We loved staying at the Bird Rock Inn--great location, beautifully decorated, excellent staff! We stayed here for two nights after a 3-day kayaking trip with Outdoor Odysseys (see my review) and it was lovely to sleep in a big beautiful bed again. We had one of the rooms on the third floor with no bathroom, but for us it really was no problem. The hotel provided awesome robes and the bathroom was always available when we needed it. There are some rooms en suite, but we wanted to save some money. My dad also stayed here and had a smaller room, which was definitely on the small side but okay for one person. Breakfast in the morning was great and the staff was super helpful.

1  Thank dreamtree
Reviewed 12 July 2012

This hotel is a couple of blocks away from the hub, so it is a bit quieter. The decor is very modern and elegant. The person running it was so friendly. She went out of her way to make special accommodations for my breakfast since I had a very early departure. I agree with "lucidilies" - a lot like a B & B. I happened to be there on there hottest day of the year - 75 degrees - so the room was a bit warm, but there were fans to help keep it comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We selected the Bird Rock Hotel because it was only a block from our kayaking trip pickup location and ferry dock. The staff was pleasant. It was a little pricey at $200 a night for the Whidby room, but the amenities were very nice. The robes supplied were incredibly soft. The shampoos and lotions were locally made. We took advantage of the one-speed bikes (with wide, old-fashioned comfortable seats) for a lovely five mile ride around the peninsula and enjoyed the welcome cookies and lemonade on our return. A nice breakfast launched us on our way.

Watch out for the corner posts that rise about eight inches at the foot of the bed. You can easily smack your leg on them.

Earplugs were provided, but we did not use them and really didn't feel that we needed to with the location of our room. There was some early morning noise around sunrise, but it wasn't too much of a problem for us.

Room Tip: I think the Whidby room is quieter than those that are directly on the street. The Whidby is a lowe...
Reviewed 8 July 2012

I can't say enough great things about this hotel. It's really more like a B&B rather than a hotel - this is a place where they really get to know you and make you feel at home. The staff were all so nice and welcoming and went out of their way to provide all the necessary comforts.

We booked the Whidbey room which was classified as their "standard room" but really it's anything but. It's a one bedroom suite although the bedroom is really just big enough for the queen bed and two side tables. There's a living room and kitchenette area. The living room is very cozy and has a sofa bed for additional guests. The bathroom is decent sized and larger than some big name hotel chains I've stayed in. The bed is one of the best beds I've slept in. The room is modern compared to most places on the island.

The amenities are pretty amazing. Direct TV, local shampoos and soaps (which all smell amazing), fluffy robes to wear (so much softer than what I've had at 4* hotels), well-rounded breakfast with juice, coffee, tea, homemade scones, toast, yogurt, fruit, eggs, etc and in the afternoon they have homemade strawberry lemonade with freshly made chocolate chip cookies. What more can you ask for??

Location wise, it's perfect. It's a 5 min walk from the ferry and very close to the main area of town (Friday Harbor is small so most places are close). You can also use the amenities such as the pool, jacuzzi, sauna, etc at their sister hotel, Earthbox Inn, which is less than a 10 min walk up the street. We didn't have a car so I'm not familiar with the parking situation.

So why take off a star in the rating? It really pains me to say what's been said a thousand times on here but yes, there are some ridiculously loud noises at this property at ungodly hours. I thought I was pretty safe considering that the Whidbey room is recessed into the back of the building but I was wrong. Around 4am, I was woken up to the loudest screeching noise that continued for the next 2 hours. It sounded like someone was unloading a delivery truck with one of those large moving dollies to move large pallets (just a guess but still not sure what it was). And yes, I had my ear plugs in, which the hotel provides in all their rooms. I'm a pretty heavy sleeper and if I woke up to the noise, it would have to be extremely loud to wake me up. It wasn't a pleasant way to wake up before starting a three-day kayaking trip.

Friday Harbor is pricey for accommodation but given the service, amenities and modern luxuries, I found Bird Rock Hotel good value compared to the others. Regardless of the noise issue, I would stay here again and I would highly recommend this place to anyone that isn't a light sleeper!

Note: We stayed here during a time when Friday Harbor had cool weather (mid to high 60's) and the Whidbey room was very comfortable in temperature. There are two ceiling fans (one in the living room and one in the bedroom) which will help circulate the air. I think this room would stay cool during warm months because it's located down below towards the back (but it's not the basement, hard to describe), unlike their other rooms which are upstairs and I can see how those rooms can get stifling hot since hot air rises in a building, which others have mentioned previously (there's no A/C in most places on Friday Harbor).

Room Tip: Try to pick a room that isn't on the upper floors during the warm summer months. I don't th...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2012

The hotel is great with a very helpful staff. Breakfast is 7-10 and is all freshly made. Very clean and modern with well appointed rooms. Right in the heart of town so easy access to everything. Do be prepared for some noise from the bar across the street. The onlly night this happened was Saturday night when they had a live band and it was quiet by 2 am. The hotel does warn you about the noise though.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple