“Great hotel, great amenities, very clean, quality hotel”
Review of Bird Rock Hotel

Bird Rock Hotel
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Friday Harbor
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 22 July 2010

I loved the atmosphere at this hotel; extremely comfortable!!!! The breakfast was also very good. If you want to stay near the harbor, this is the place to chose. I had no problems during my stay and would go there again next time I visit. It is close to everything we wanted to do.
If I had to say anything bad, it was a bit warm in the room, but there is a ceiling fan and oscillating floor fan so it wasn't uncomfortable. The floor fan helped drown out any sounds coming from the street. I slept like a baby!!!! PERFECT place to stay!!!
They also have a public use computer which was a nice perk. I didn't want to travel with my computer! Don't hesitate to stay here!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 18 July 2010

The Bird Rock is Terrific! The staff and hotel are wonderful. The noise factor was not a problem with the fans they have or ear plugs. The breakfast and staff are awesome. If you are a biker, kayaker, or hiker you will meet like minded people. Even if you aren't you will easily chat with interesting guests. The location in Friday Harbor is so close to everything. San Juan Island is so beautiful. Thank you Bird Rock!

1  Thank packfanstaff
Reviewed 16 July 2010

I planned a couple of restful days in the San Juan Islands for my wife's birthday. To be near the shops, restaurants and ferry terminal, I settled on Friday Harbor. Based on their website and some good reviews, I chose to stay at The Bird Rock Hotel. We quickly discovered that the choice was a poor one. The hotel, like most establishments in the area, don't have air conditioning because of naturally cool nights. You simply sleep with the windows open. That's a disasterous option at The Bird Rock Hotel. Spring Street is VERY noisy, as if you're sleeping right on the sidewalk with trucks, cars and drunken locals cruising by all night long. But the biggest nuisance is a dive bar right across the street. On given nights, they have Karaoke contests and the sound level is excruciating. This goes on from 9:00 PM until closing at 2:00 AM. Then, adding insult to injury, drunken locals hang out on the street for another hour or so, shouting, breaking bottles, etc. while you grit your teeth and hope that the police will enforce a non-existent noise ordinance. You cannot even hear the television in your own room, let alone sleep. The hotel has known about this situation for a long while, but doesn't inform the unsuspecting guest at the time of booking. You get a hint when you see earplugs provided on the nightstand. DO NOT underestimate the noise factor in these reviews. Unless you are Helen Keller, you are not going to sleep well in many of the rooms in this hotel.

3  Thank K9safari
Reviewed 6 July 2010

We had a wonderful stay for July 4th in Friday Harbor. Hotel was beautiful. Love this little island town.

1  Thank adkirk25
Reviewed 29 June 2010

We traveled here as two couple and got the Bainbridge Suite which was perfect. The staff here was some of the friendliest we have ever experienced. The hotel was very clean, modern, and comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Steves_Rickshaw
Reviewed 3 June 2010

Absolutely spectacular service and quality! Can not stress that enough! Me and my boyfriend stayed in the Sucia Room that's on the top floor. I don't know why, but I actually loved the fact that the bathrooms are disconnected from the rooms and we had to walk down to use it, just felt like home to me. All the rooms were gorgeous too! Because we were able to check in early (noon), nobody else was in the hotel besides us so we got to see all the exquisite rooms besides ours (if no one is checked into a room, they keep the door wide open...fun times). The interior is amazing and completely fooled us of how modern it really was in the inside compared to it's practically rusty exterior outside. The entire hotel was a warm welcome.

Very friendly and kind. The front desk was extremely flexible to all our request. They opened the kitchen for us after hours, let us check out way after the 'preferred' check out time passed (because the pool and hot tub was so fun!) and allowed us to use their bikes after we checked out from the hotel too! The staff will do anything and everything in their power to make sure that all your needs are granted...with in reason of course.

Granted, the Sucia Room has a window that faces the bar and all the noise that comes with it but me and my boyfriend are completely use to that back at home with a popular pub near by and trains so noise wasn't much an issue for us. I was also just a little disappointed with their breakfast selection since there wasn't much to choose from however, you can't beat free breakfast so I got over it quickly.

Thank you Bird Rock Hotel for probably the best hotel experience we've ever had!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Namber
Reviewed 7 May 2010

The hotel is lovely with wonderful architectural details, great linens, and great breakfast. The staff was friendly, helpful and fun.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends