“What a great day!”

Spirit of Orca Whale and Wildlife Tours
Ranked #6 of 25 Tours in Friday Harbor
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: An Intimate Small Boat Experience With A Six Passenger Max Limit for a very personal experience. Whale Watching is our passion! Your goal is to see whales and our goal is to show them to you. Captain Ken has been a professional mariner for 37 years serving as captain mainly on ocean tugs on the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans. He has worked small cruise ships in SE Alaska and Inside Passage and Excursion vessels on the Columbia and Snake Rivers from Astoria, OR to Lewiston, ID. Ken has had opportunity to see whale behavior as well as many other marine life on the Pacific Ocean from Kodiak Alaska all the way down to the Sea of Cortez in Mexico and on the Atlantic Ocean. He has seen Humpback Whales “bubble net feeding” in Alaska and scratched the heads of curious Gray Whale calves in Mexico One of Ken’s greatest passions is to share his experience with others and now he is able to do just that by taking you out to meet the whales in their natural environment. He is a certified Naturalist and loves to share what he has learned, with you on the tour.
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Our reservation with Captain Carli was originally for 5 people, but one of our party had to cancel at the last minute. Captain Carli would have been completely within his rights to charge us for the missing person, and we were prepared to pay, but he didn't even mention it. We had a terrific day and saw several orcas, along with seals and a bald eagle or two. Captain Carli knows the waters and belongs to a network, so he always has an idea of where the whales might show themselves. The small boat was perfect for us. We passed a couple other boats that were packed with people, all jostling each other to get a good view. All we had to do in order to see was turn our heads. It was a terrific experience, and I even managed to snap a stunning picture of a breaching orca. I highly recommend Captain Carli!

1  Thank Lavonne W

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

My sister and I had a great time out whale watching today! Being from Idaho I knew nothing about trying to get out whale watching and got so frustrated with all the over whelming information online. Finally I picked up the phone and the kind lady that answered was so nice and so helpful! She even figured out the ferry schedule for me so that I would make sure to get where we needed to be and on time. I personally loved the limited number of people for a more personal experience. We knew there was a risk we might not see whales but that's the risk you take when going out in the wild. Lucky for us we saw whales! About 10 to 15 orcas. It was such an awesome day and one I'll remember for years to come. I will recommend Carli to anyone I know!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We are so glad we decided to whale watch with Captain Carli. We had a lucky day, seeing many whales, porpoises , and bald eagles. Captain Carli was wonderful! I would definitely recommend him if you are looking to whale watch at Friday Harbour!

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I have been on whale watching tours with 3 companies from Friday Harbor and Captain Carli is by far the BEST of them! His personalized touch and small boat add a touch of class that no one can beat. I could tell from the start that Captain Carli loves what he gets to do and loves the island. He took the time to call us and let us know that there were whales going north and asked us if we could leave earlier to catch up with them. AMAZING!!! The whales were breaching, spy hoping and playing around. Our daughter and her friend were giddy with laughter and excitement!

1  Thank Eric P
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Fantastic day of whale watching on Captain Carli's small boat Soulmate. With only 6 passengers the whole experience was up close and personal. The whale encounter was phenomenal with at least a dozen breaches as the whales frolicked in what appeared to be a deliberate attempt to thrill their audience. And thrilled we were! The whales clearly stole the show but what made the whole trip a memorable experience was Bill's attention to the whole experience, from the comfort of his passengers to several unplanned stops along the route for close up encounters with porpoises, a pair of bald eagles encircling their nest on a small island we passed, and gorgeous
scenery throughout. Captain Bill Carli was friendly and engaging and made the trip feel as though he customized it for our group. I will choose Capt Carli again and recommend him to anyone looking for a personal and thrilling whale encounter!
Luc D.