“Superb!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Friday Harbor
Snug Harbor Resort & Marina
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Friday Harbor
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We spent the last two nights of a 10-day tour of the Seattle area in a 2-bedroom panabode and it was delightful. We were on the late ferry so didn't arrive until 10pm, but I had called to notify the resort and they had our cabin unlocked and ready for us, and we just checked in the following morning. The accommodation was lovely, the location was serene and we enjoyed our second night sipping wine and eating local foods in our panabode. It was hard to leave.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Snug Harbor Resort & Marina

Reviewed 22 September 2013

We stayed in the new 2 bedroom panabode and absolutely loved it! The cabin is beautifully decorated, warm, cozy. clean and fully stocked. We enjoyed the view of the harbor, along with the deck and the gas burning fireplace. The staff was very friendly. We were a little disappointed that the kayaks were not available as mentioned on the website. Other than that, it was perfect and would love to return!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I stayed here for a week on my recent vacation. Although their prices do seem a bit high, I feel they are about the same as other places. You would probably just as easily pay as much at other places. The scenery and location is great - it's quiet, peaceful, and beautiful. It's far enough away that you are not in the busyness of Friday Harbor, but close enough that you can easily make a quick trip if needed.

I didn't have much interaction with the staff (which in my opinion is a good thing because that could have meant there was a problem) but when I did they were very polite and helpful. I really liked and appreciated the phone call I got the day of my arrival informing me that my room was ready earlier than expected - that was great for me since I was arriving on the island earlier than I originally planned and before the normal 4:00 check-in time.

I stayed in one of the studios on the waterfront. I did feel it was overpriced, but like I said, I would have paid about the same anywhere else. I actually found a place that was cheaper (a rental house), but I wasn't overly excited about it, so I was willing to pay the money to be where I wanted to be - on the water! And I did call Snug and see if there was anything they could do to come close to matching the other price (especially since I was a solo traveler) and they did give me a small discount which was greatly appreciated and they definitely didn't have to do it! So THANK YOU again for that!! The studio provided what I needed - a place to sleep, a bathroom, and a small kitchen so I wasn't eating out all the time. It was perfect for me. It was clean, and it wasn't overly cramped. I was hoping to not have live out of my suitcase for a week but it wasn't a big deal. Other reviews complained of a musty smell in those cabins - so I bought an air freshener for a dollar when I went grocery shopping (before going to the island), problem solved! I also didn't think the cabin smelled musty - it smelled like water and the wilderness to me, all things you want when you are staying in a cabin on the water. You also can't expect older cabins to be perfect!

I didn't use them but there are plenty of amenities available for guests that you might not get other places including fire pits, barbecues, and canoes. An added bonus are a few businesses that offer whale watching and kayaking that leave right from Snug Harbor - no need to drive around to find parking and where you need to be, just walk out the front door and down to the water!

Overall, I'm glad I chose to stay at Snug. I would definitely consider staying here again. Just a though for management/owners: I received an email the day before my arrival explaining the check-in times, and my cabin number and a few other details; it would have been nice to get this sooner. I had actually called and asked about that stuff a couple days prior since I wasn't sure I would have internet access in the day or two leading up to my arrival. So getting that email out a little sooner would have been nice but it wasn't a big deal.

Thank You to Snug Harbor for helping make my vacation a great one!! :)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 September 2013

The actual location/scenery is great. However the older cabins are awful. I recently stayed in cabin 5 in September. The cabin was very dirty, it looks like the floor had never been swept. The kitchen was super tiny and their was mold all over the place behind the kitchen faucet. They had a non working heater and after one shower the hot water run outs! This place is definitely not worth the price! The linens and comforter smelled very bad. For this price I expect a clean and comfortable cabin with heat and hot water! I will never stay there again.

On the good side, they do offer a nice area to BBQ & Canoe, but the accommodations are terrible. Don't stay in cabin 5!!

Room Tip: don't choose cabin 5. Go for the newer cabins along the treeline.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ROSEAUSTIN
SnugHarborOwner, Manager at Snug Harbor Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Hi Stephanie,

Thank you for your review. We strive to deliver a great guest experience and I apologize that this did not happen for you. Frankly, I was shocked by your comments. I have never had a guest feel that the room was so dirty it had never been swept.

After your comments, I did go in the room with the house keeping to inspect the room for the mold that you mentioned. We couldn’t find any mold but we did find that the silicone caulking that had been used to seal the seams on the counter and around the sink was discolored. Silicone after time has a tendency to become discolored and turn dark. The silicone started dark green and aftertime has darkened.
This should have caught and the silicone replaced to improve the appearance of the cabin.

You also had mentioned that room heater was not didn’t work. The electric fireplace units in the room have limited output. In the fall and winter we also utilize portable heaters. We normally place these in the room in mid September. I wished that you said something to me the first night, as we would have delivered a portable heater to your room immediately.

The last thing that you had mentioned was that the room was filthy. I’m sorry about the short comings in the area of cleanliness. While these cabins are older, we have tried very hard to keep them in good shape and above all else, clean. Housekeeping is done after each guest departs with a detailed checklist being followed. The last item on the list is for the rooms to be vacuumed and then mopped every time. We have a great housekeeping staff, as evidenced by prior reviews, how your room was missed for the final sweeping and mopping is difficult to answer, but I have reviewed the issue with our staff.

Once again, I would like to apologize for the negative impact we had on your trip to the San Juan Islands.

Ken Christensen

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Snug Harbor is a great place to stay with family of all ages! There are various activites such as boating, kayaking, crabbing, walking, and playing on the beach. The managers - Ken and Michelle are so friendly and most helpful!
We have stayed at Snug Harbor twice. We enjoyed the unit right on the beachfront! It has been perfect to be close to the marina to use our boat, and our kayaks. It was especially perfect for me with physical limitations to be on the flat beachfront instead of up on the hill which is harder to walk to, and has no handrails to carefully get to the units on the dirt trail that leads to the unit. Our family needs a 2 bedroom unit since we have five people, but we we told that unfortuately when the new units are constructed, they will all be 1 bedroom units at the beachfront. We were told that in the future, all 2 bedroom units will be located up on a hill that is harder to access. Hopefully the owners of Snug Harbor will reconsider, and allow one or two of the new 2 bedroom units down by the beach front to accommodate families that want to be close to the water, or that have physical limitations that make it hard to walk up and down the hill to the upper units.
THANK YOU!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
SnugHarborOwner, Owner at Snug Harbor Resort & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Alice,

Thank you for the review and your comments. We weren't able to put the two bedroom units on the waterfront due to their overall width. We were striving to have enough space between each cabin to allow some privacy. We have three units being built above the new store, one of which will be a two bedroom. While this will still be accessed from above there will be no steps to enter this cabin. We always want to take care of our returning guests. Please talk to Ken when you wish to re book and we'll see if we can find a solution to accommodate your needs.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

We've stayed here three times now, and we return because of the great view, the nice cabins, the marina, fire pits and barbecues right outside for our use. Staying here isn't cheap, but nothing on the island is.
However, from the very beginning of our trip there were small issues, that, if isolated would be no big deal. Our check in time was 4pm, a little late seeing as the entire complex only has about 12 units or so. However, our room was not ready until about 4:25. The TV in our unit was small, one channel button was pulled out, and ESPN was mysteriously unavailable to us. Every other channel worked fine. Finally, they ask that visitors do their own dishes or pay a $10 fee. A weird policy for a hotel. Of course, a vacation doesn't happen in the room.

The accommodations are simple and rustic, suiting the environment well, its just that simple accommodations shouldn't cost $200 and up.

I would recommend it if you have the money to spend, and don't mind small issues that arise from rustic lodging. We will probably return.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank TomTheGoalie

Tom, Thank you for the review. We are trying very hard to have a first class experience for all our guests. I apologize that your check in time was late, that shouldn't happen and I am looking into why we were running late that day. We usually have ample staff to have all rooms ready between 2:00-3:00 pm. The cabins you are staying in are being replaced this winter, the new cabins will be larger, more comfortable and have large flat screen TV's. Currently, ESPN is not one of our channel offerings, mystery solved. On the dish note, all those notes were to be removed from the cabins at the beginning of this summer. Obviously the cabin you stayed in was missed. I hope you will come back and try out one of the new cabins next summer.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed in one of the cabins at Snug Harbor. We had an absolutely perfect experience. The cabin was very comfortable with a functional kitchen, full bath, great living space, and bed. The view from the harbor is awesome - perfect for a romantic picnic. The area, on the west side of the island, is very pretty and great for running. I would highly recommend snug harbor to anyone visiting the island.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for the review Brett and hope you had a great trip to Washington State.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Friday Harbor
#9 of 10 in Friday Harbor
Tucker House Inn
Tucker House Inn
#4 of 10 in Friday Harbor

Been to Snug Harbor Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!