“Excellent day at sea”

Sea Quest Expeditions Kayak Tours
Ranked #7 of 25 Tours in Friday Harbor
More attraction details
Owner description: Our Goal is Simple: We Want You to Have the Best Sea Kayaking Tour of Your Life! Join us for a kayak adventure that offers the full range from energized fun to calm serenity. Our guides skillfully hand-craft every Sea Quest Kayak Expedition into a custom learning experience - one that will surely enhance your appreciation of our natural environment. Our kayak tours are mainly led by actual biologists and environmental scientists who double as highly-trained outdoor educators and sea kayak guides. This level of excellence distinguishes us from other outfitters and transforms your experience into an adventure in learning.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 13 August 2012

This was a great day. Having never kayaked before I was a bit sceptic but absolutely loved it. We didn't see orcas but saw seals and bald eagles. It was just so relaxing to be on the water. Our guides, especially Brad, was great. Would highly recommend it. We had the triple kayak for my husband, daughter and me, and it was great. We did the longer afternoon tour.

Reviewed 28 July 2012

Kayaking with Sea Quest Expeditions was quite the experience. Our guild Charlie is really knowledgeable of the sea life, local points of interest and quite entertaining. My wife and I are in our late 40's and have never kayaked before. We found only a small amount of difficulty in being able to keep up with the younger group members and the small amount of time that we couldn’t keep up Charlie was right by our side giving us directions on how to succeed. We found that wearing neoprene booties and gloves kept us warm and we are glad that we wore them on our trip. Thank you Sea Quest for the exciting time. We will recommend you to all our friends.

Everett and Christine Mason

1  Thank cowboynup
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We went on the 3 day trip from July 10 - 12, 2012. We had two guides Evan and Kelsey and about a dozen Kayakers. The guides were very good. Evan was very calm yet watched over everyone at all times. He did it all.. making our meals and planning extra activities to suit everyone's desires. (We went on a sunset trip and did tide pooling as extra activities.) He also was genuinely interested in everyone and made you feel welcome. He obviously loves nature and the whole experience. Kelsey took great care of a 12 year old by Kayaking with her in the two person boat since the parents also had two teenagers on the trip. She did a good job so the parents didn't have to worry.

The whole experience was very comfortable even the camping part. Because you wear "skirts" while kayaking you really don't get wet. Just be sure you wear the right kind of shoes since you have to step in and out of the Kayaks in water. I went with my husband so I sat in the front and my husband in the rear. We both paddled but the person in the rear has to work the rudder. This can be a little tricky at first but everyone got the hang of it.

The guides make your meals which are pretty good! The taco meal we had was great! They even accommodated my lactose intolerance problem.

When we arrived in Friday Harbor we had all our "stuff" packed in (6) two gallon plastic zip locks ready to load in the Kayaks. (Our clothes were packed in (2) water tight Kayaking bags which are expensive but the best!) To transfer all this to the Kayaks we packed it in two large duffle bags which we emptied, bagged in garbage bags and packed in the Kayaks since it was not recommended leaving bags behind in their van. (You have to pack in small packages because of the narrow size and shape of the kayaks.)

We have Sea- Kayaked before so knew what to expect but it seemed to us that everyone felt safe on the trip. The only time the water got a little choppy was on the last day returning as we paddled down Haro Strait (where the Orcas pass). There were three large freighters which passed by one after the other which caused a little more turbulence but everyone did well and no one seemed worried. The Kayaks are very stable, much more so than a lot of people realize.

We saw the Orca J-pod two times passing on Haro straight which was a thrill. We also had a large seal swim under our Kayak and a mother seal carrying her baby on her back next to our Kayaks. We saw eagles many times along Haro Strait and Mink were we camped.

If you get a chance to take a sunset paddle don't pass it up even if you are tired. It is amazing.... you won' forget it!

It was a wonderful trip and we will return!

Reviewed 24 July 2012

My boyfriend Chris and I just returned from a 3 day trip with Trey and Charlie. Trey was our guide on Day 1 and took us to Stuart Island. Trey provided clear instructions reviewing all safety procedures and was able to answer all of our questions thoroughly. He had a great personality and made me comfortable right from the start. We were thrilled when we saw a number of killer whales in the first few hours of hour trip. We even saw the new baby orca and the calf's mother. It was an exciting day.

At Stuart Island, we then met up with a five-day group led by Charlie. We tagged along with their group on Days 2 & 3. We camped at Stuart Island on Day 1. We even jumped in the water for a little bit. In the evening, the group hiked to the light house and one-room school house after setting up camp and eating a delicious dinner with fresh vegetables. Roughly a 5 mile hike round-trip (out & back) and well worth the walk.

On Day 2, our group of seven (including Charlie) kayaked to Doughty Point on Orcas Islands. Doughty Point was the best lookout point by far. While watching the sunset, we ate another meal prepped by Charlie that was more than settling; it was delicious.

On Day 3, we headed back to Friday Harbor. The whole trip ran smoothly from start to finish. We covered approximately 36 miles over the course of three days. I have no previous kayak experience and the idea of kayaking in international waters with cargo ships was intimidating at first, but I felt completely safe with the experienced guides and with a very capable group overall. We brought our own sleeping bags and pads, but borrowed the tents. The tents were very roomy for two people and I'm sure they have tents for larger/smaller groups.

I highly recommend using Sea Quest and suggest staying a night or two in Friday Harbor or the Lakeside Resorts (if you prefer camping). Friday Harbor is a great little town with lots of little shops. After the three day trip, we were dropped off by the ferry and literally walked across the street to our hotel (Island Inn 123). It was great to know I had a well-deserved hot shower waiting for me only a feet away from our drop-off point. Overall, it was an amazing experience and I'll never forget it.

WEAR SUNSCREEN

~ Boo-bott

2  Thank Sunbern2001
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We flew in a seaplane up to San Juan expressly to try and see orcas from a kayak. We booked online with Sea Quest and it was a breeze. They met us near the Friday Harbor dock and drove us to our destination. We had a quick safety briefing and refresher on equipment etc. and off we paddled. We did not see anything immediately, but it was a lovely day; in the 60s and sunny. Soon, though, our guide stopped us and had us put the 5 kayaks together so as not to disturb the orcas. We sat quiet and motionless as two dorsal fins surfaced a couple hundred yards away. We could easily hear them "blow". A few minutes later, we continued our trip. We only paddled for another 5-10 minutes when we heard another orca blow. We stopped and saw three of them swimming together. When we left that spot, I was satisfied. But, next thing you knew, we saw and heard a huge orca only 50-100 yards "behind us" (where we had just paddled from), then saw another 100 yards or so in the other direction. Again we sat motionless as a group, and low and behold a group (our guide called it a "nursery school") of 9 orca swam by between us and the shore. I counted 6 or 7 "babies" in that group. Our guide jokingly "apologized", saying that we certainly couldn't go anywhere right now. Of course, all we wanted to do was sit and watch in awe (and a few of us were trying to get pictures etc.). This was considered the "all day" tour; the total time from leaving our put in point to getting out of the kayaks is probably about 3 hours. The rest of the time is travel, set-up and break-down. In the middle of the 3 hours, we spent about 45 minutes on a beach eating lunch and peering into the tide pools. Our guide was wonderful; the operation was very professional. My complaints about Sea Quest concerns their equipment. The life jackets and spray skirts were damp and a bit musty smelling. Seems like they should have a second set available that would be dry and clean for each tour group. And the paddles for the kayaks are VERY basic. I have rented other kayaks before which have MUCH better paddles. Those thick-handled paddles are very uncomfortable, and, ideally should have the nice foamy grips. I wore paddling gloves, otherwise I would have been quite miserable.

1  Thank MattOkun1111