“Amazing San Juan Island Kayaking!”
Review of Outdoor Odysseys

Outdoor Odysseys
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1987, Outdoor Odysseys has been offering quality guided sea kayaking and whale watch tours in the San Juan Islands of Washington State. Our tours feature an opportunity to search for Orca whales and eagles while paddling. We offer great camp cuisine including Dutch oven cookery and naturalist guides that are extremely knowledgable about the biological, geological and natural history of the area. We have been selected by National Geographic Adventure Magazine as one of the "200 best outfitters" in the world.
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The San Juan Islands are absolutely beautiful and a perfect way to see them is by kayak. We just got back from a three day paddling trip with Outdoor Odysseys and I can't say enough about how amazing this trip was! We had a group of 10 and our guides, Ellie and Nikken, who were incredibly knowledgeable about the area, lots of fun to camp with and amazing cooks! The first day we loaded all the gear into the kayaks and set off for our campsite on Stewart Island. The campsite was great, but be warned....composting toilet. During the trip, we hiked several times on the island and did a full day paddle around the island. All the meals featured fresh ingredients and totally blew away what most people think of as camping food. One evening we had a curry that was full of fresh vegetables and was better than you get in most Thai restaurants. Wine was served each evening and we discovered that a good Chilean Cabernet pairs perfectly with S'mores! On our way back that last day we were fortunate enough to paddle up to a pod of orcas. An amazing end to an amazing vacation! This is definitely a bucket list trip and I highly recommend anyone wanting an adventure vacation book with Outdoor Odysseys. We are already talking about doing it again next year!

1  Thank AKgal1961

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I'm sitting at the Orca Inn in Friday Harbor giving my shoulders a rest, and getting ready to go out on a half day trip to see the orcas we weren't able to see on the three day kayaking trip with Outdoor Odysseys, which is the reason for my title. This is a wonderful kayaking company and the trips are terrific. However, just as any safari company in Africa cannot guarantee you a lion sighting, they cannot guarantee you an orca sighting. So it's best to settle in and enjoy what you do get- and in our case that was picture perfect weather, river otters, seals, bald eagles, those gorgeous shorelines, excellent exercise, and in my case I got to get some wonderful coaching on my paddling form for a future kayaking trip in Argentina. The guides were sensitive to my eating preferences, we were well fed each day although sometimes I think that the effort to go gourmet ( the falafel burgers were flop) might be overdone) could be replaced with somewhat simpler fare

Our group was great company, pulled together well for all the gear shlepping and hard work, and was a most pleasant bunch to adventure with for three days. For my part, since I do want to see orcas. I'm heading out today with a power boat tour- and that is just fine by me. I LOVED this trip for what it was, three days on the water in some beautiful islands. Sometimes Nature shows you, sometimes she doesn't. The guides are in touch with the river captains by radio- so they know where the orcas are- so grousing about not seeing them is useless. Being in the moment and enjoying the extraordinary beauty of these islands is what it's all about.

1  Thank Julia H
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My husband and I just got back from a 3/2 day kayaking trip with these guys and it was amazing. The San Juan islands are beautiful and seeing orcas in the wild was absolutely magical (we got to see them 5 times in 2 days which was incredibly fortunate) but beyond that, the guys at Outdoor Odysseys were truly fantastic. Since the moment I started researching kayak tour companies I found their website to be the most humble, informative and down to earth, which really reflected our experience with them. I then called them as we had to carry special medication during the trip and they were very helpful. Our guide during the trip (Magda) was great - she was very knowledgeable, fun to be around and cooked us yummy meals. We also got to meet some of the other guides who were lovely and the owner, Tom, who was wonderful. Tom was very responsive, accommodating and made us feel cared for which was the icing on the cake to the whole experience. I highly recommend them and hope we can go back before long.

Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

Even with rainy weather the first 36 hours it was a great trip. The guides are very knowledgable and friendly. The scenery is incredible and we were very fortunate to get passed by a pod of orcas only a few hours into our 4 day trip. The food was also very good, healthy and fresh meals that keep you full while paddling; definitely a highlight while visiting the San Juan islands.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Our family of three had a brilliant day in a 3 man kayak. Great knowledgeable and fun guides, a whole lot of wildlife, and an eerie 20 minutes of becalmed ocean made for a great day. Thanks again!