“Three great days!”
Review of Outdoor Odysseys

Outdoor Odysseys
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1987, Outdoor Odysseys has been offering quality guided sea kayaking and whale watch tours in the San Juan Islands of Washington State. Our tours feature an opportunity to search for Orca whales and eagles while paddling. We offer great camp cuisine including Dutch oven cookery and naturalist guides that are extremely knowledgable about the biological, geological and natural history of the area. We have been selected by National Geographic Adventure Magazine as one of the "200 best outfitters" in the world.
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Sarah and Irene did a wonderful job of guiding and feeding us on this three day trip. This was my wife's and my first trip to the San Juan islands and they are beautiful as we expected. The kayaking was fun as we expected. But better than we expected was the day two flexibility, the delicious meals, and the night paddle! A wonderful adventure!!

1  Thank Tom H

Reviewed 6 August 2014

We signed up for Women on the Water, a three day kayaking and camping expedition. What an amazing adventure! Saw seals, harbor porpoises, a Winke whale, and of course some Orcas. Paddled thirty miles over the course of three days and camped in this amazing campground at the far end of Reid Harbor. Ellie was our guide, our cook, our navigator, our tide and current specialist. We were in great hands the entire time. Highly recommend Odyssey as an outfitter for your kayaking experience.

1  Thank Sabra H
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We did the half-day kayaking tour with Ali, and I can't recommend it enough. Not only was it fun and action-packed, but it was perfectly suited to my ability level. I was a scared newbie and I felt very safe with Ali because she really took the time to explain everything and kept checking on me. Not only that, but she was a wealth of knowledge about local flora and fauna, which made the trip so much more interesting and memorable! I really appreciated the care that was shown from this company, from booking to final cleanup. Not only would I highly recommend it, but I'll be back again for more in the future! : ) Thanks, guys!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I had an amazing time on this trip!!! I travel all the time, both abroad and within the US, and have had lots of crazy experiences, but this experience in particular really stands out. It is one of those "once in a lifetime experiences" that you will never forget - especially if you are lucky enough to see orcas. I know that much of what made this experience so memorable for me was luck - we happened to pass by all three pods of orcas and a group of 6-7 passed within 5 feet of our kayaks (2 swam under our kayaks and looked up at us!! They swim sideways under the water and it was clear enough to see them in detail, so cool!)...it is such a humbling, beautiful and powerful experience to see these graceful, powerful creatures so close to you. We got to see them breaching, spyhopping, and slapping their tail at us; I know a lot of it is their normal behavior and has to do with feeding on the salmon, but they seemed so playful! Overall, I would say that I personally saw at least 40 orcas over the course of 1-2 hours. I would say this was a mix of our guides being in the know of where the orcas were and luck at the orcas being in our general area during out 2 day trip. We also saw lots of seals, eagles and a few porpoises. The area is gorgeous and even if we hadn't have seen any animals it would have been a beautiful and relaxing paddling experience which I would have enjoyed very much. Our guides Magda & Michael were the best guides, super knowledgeable and obviously super in love with nature and their job. They were also AMAZING cooks - the food was SO GOOD! Also got lucky with a great group of people and a pretty small group of 9 people, so lots of personal attention from the guides - you're not one in a massive sea of people on a huge tour or anything. At night we went out to kayak in the bioluminescent bay under the starts after paddling into a stunning sunset, which was completely amazing. Overall, the tour was organized well, instructions are clear on how to get there / what to bring / where to meet, you can't beat the location, and you sure can't beat the guides. Totally recommend 100%. One of my best purchases EVER. I definitely recommend doing at least one overnight as well; I loved the camping part of the experience and it increases your chance at seeing orcas - we saw none the first day but hit the jackpot on the second.

1  Thank Jillian A
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My friends and I went on the 2 day kayaking trip. It was amazing!!! Our guides were fantastic(Ellie and Fran). They were very knowledgeable, very calm and supportive, kept us safe but still gave us an adventure and great cooks! I would take a trip with this group again in a heartbeat! Fabulous!