“Amazing Experience - yet again!”
Review of Outdoor Odysseys

Outdoor Odysseys
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1987, Outdoor Odysseys has been offering quality guided sea kayaking and whale watch tours in the San Juan Islands of Washington State. Our tours feature an opportunity to search for Orca whales and eagles while paddling. We offer great camp cuisine including Dutch oven cookery and naturalist guides that are extremely knowledgable about the biological, geological and natural history of the area. We have been selected by National Geographic Adventure Magazine as one of the "200 best outfitters" in the world.
Seattle, Washington
“Amazing Experience - yet again!”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This is the third 3-day trip I have taken with Outdoor Odysseys and it, once again, was truly amazing! My friend and I keep coming back for the extra knowledgable, fun and safe guides, the delicious food and destinations that are spectacular. The money spent is more than well worth it as all the scruptious meals are prepared for you, logistics covered and all guides are obviously competent. Within the 3-day trip the guides also offer various options that the group or individuals can do. The flexibilty to accomodate so many is wonderful. My friend and I are already planning our trip for next year and hope to bring along others.

Snoqualmie, Washington
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great Experience for my first kayak trip!!”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I agreed to do a three day, two night kayak trip that a good friend planned. She invited 5 friends from out of state as well. I had no idea what to expect. From start to finish, this was amazing. I felt the price was well money spent.Emails sent to office staff in the days preceding the trip were answered promptly.Kylie, our guide was the best. Professional, flexible, informative, funny, mature are just a few words to describe her. We chose to paddle 13 miles to Stuart Island on the first day, stopping once for a snack and bathroom break. Our campsite was serene, private, safe and beautiful. The second day, we did a 3 mile paddle to a gorgeous beach where we saw a river otter playing in the sand. We hiked that day to Turn Point. Do not miss this opportunity! Well worth the non strenuous hike to the schoolhouse and Lover's Leap and the Lighthouse. Kylie knew little secret places along the way to have fun. The car in the woods and the plane in the field. She prepared food three meals a day from menu she created herself, taking into account dietary preferences. Lasagna, Veggie Stir fry with peanut sauce, brownies, breakfast sandwiches. There was wine provided and we also were allowed to bring our own. You cannot imagine how much a double kayak can hold. Amazing!! We saw orcas, Bald Eagles, porpoises, harbor seals, an otter and Kylie even took the time to show us barnacles and tube worms on a dock. It was a challenging paddle at times, but Kylie was so flexible and willing to hear what we wanted to do. She offered many, many options for routes, pointing out the pros and cons of each option. I never felt overwhelmed or unable to participate. So fun!!!
Sleeping bags, mats and tents were all provided. I want to go again. Next time, another island and one more day?

1 Thank Nikiviki
Mercer Island, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“3 Day Custom Tour”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I live in Seattle and planned this tour with some out of state friends. From the very beginning Tom was very flexible and accommodating to my needs, allowing my friends to sign up at their leisure over a few month period. The dissemination of information regarding the trip was very organized, thorough and yet concise. This trip exceeded my expectations in many, many ways. Our guide, Kylie, was incredibly laid back, flexible, and upbeat and positive to our many different challenges as a group with multi-levels of experience on the water. We were able to customize our start and end times. Even when the ferry was late, putting us even further behind, and I requested a route and camp plan different than what she had planned - she responded with a very laidback attitude and upbeat, "of course we can do that!" attitude and demeanor - which she was able to maintain throughout the entire 3 days. On top of that, she was very organized, made us incredible gourmet vegetarian meals accommodating even the pickiest eater of the group. She was also well versed each day on what the tides and currents were doing and briefed us appropriately.

The islands were amazing in terms of not being overcrowded, having potable water and other necessary facilities. We kayaked 12 miles up to Stuart Island the first day... slightly taxing for those who hadn't kayaked so much but not prohibitively so. The second day we paddled about 6 miles and had an amazing hike on the island with vistas that rival the best I have seen in Big Sur and the French Riviera. We saw so much wildlife - eagles, harbor seals, an occasional harbor porpoise, deer on the islands, one rogue otter frolicking on the beach, orcas each of the 3 days (although they were never swimming under my kayak as I'd hoped :), and we heard some "shoats" :) The last day, we were pushed for time and going against current, and still I felt the 12 mile paddle back to our starting spot was more than manageable. Weather was amazing - such a beautiful, fun experience I can't wait to repeat again :)

Tammy Barrett, Mercer Island

1 Thank TBarrett1010
Beaverton, Oregon
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Three great days!”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Sarah and Irene did a wonderful job of guiding and feeding us on this three day trip. This was my wife's and my first trip to the San Juan islands and they are beautiful as we expected. The kayaking was fun as we expected. But better than we expected was the day two flexibility, the delicious meals, and the night paddle! A wonderful adventure!!

1 Thank Tom H
Phoenix, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Three days in island paradise”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We signed up for Women on the Water, a three day kayaking and camping expedition. What an amazing adventure! Saw seals, harbor porpoises, a Winke whale, and of course some Orcas. Paddled thirty miles over the course of three days and camped in this amazing campground at the far end of Reid Harbor. Ellie was our guide, our cook, our navigator, our tide and current specialist. We were in great hands the entire time. Highly recommend Odyssey as an outfitter for your kayaking experience.

1 Thank Sabra H