“Peaceful Island Haven”
other travellers have booked this property
Private Hot tub at Sunny Knoll, view to Canada
Ferry From Anacortes Welcome!
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Ferry From Anacortes
Welcome!
One of three private entrances.  This one enters through the library.
Deck , faces west to sunset and Haro Straights
Relaxation calls.
Morning Guests
Welcome!
A great escape
Larger of the two bedrooms.; featuring two beds, down comforters, sitting area with tv.
New Kitchen as of 2016!
bathroom
Stone path from your private deck to the hot tub and shower house.
Beaches ready for exploration.
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
malymurph...
Oswego, Illinois
“Nice, but details left out”
Reviewed 10 July 2017 for a stay in July 2017
person found this review helpful

We arrived at San Juan Island for our honeymoon and the trek getting to Sunny Knoll was very easy, just make sure you have a car with traction as mentioned b/c the road is gravel and rises to nearly 1000ft. Greeted by Liza upon arrival, she was very pleasant while showing us around the suite and letting us know all the do' & don'ts, there was even a sign on the back entry door welcoming us honeymooners. As far as weighing pros & cons this is what my husband and I gathered as a couple renting:

Pro's: It's quiet and away from the main town hustle and bustle, pretty sights if you walk to the faux rock atop the hill, Liza was kind, and the bed on the floor was comfortable. The kitchen comes equipped with the essentials and there's even a dish washer if needed. The microwave was top of the line (1800 wts) and we had no problems with it. No bug problems in or outside the suite.

Con's: We didn't realize that with this guest suite rental that there was no way for us to fully lock the inside doors from "our" side of the house to ensure complete privacy- all the locks are on the owners side for access at any time, except the bathroom door (which goes straight into the kitchen). The "Zen" scent part is not good for people with sensitive allergies, the entire suite smelled of incense and aromatherapy oils and candles etc., which made it very hard to breathe (not recommended for those with asthma). There are flower baskets hanging around, which Liza waters and says she will do so while you're not around (which is fine), but again it takes away from the privacy while honeymooning when the baskets are right outside your suite windows and back patio door...
This is minor, but should be mentioned for those who might have kids. The grounds are covered in a wheat type grass (resident to the island and dry in summer months), and unless you're wearing solid boots and long pants it goes right through your shoes like spikes, we were not able to walk the grounds but for 5 mins and our tennis shoes & socks were completely filled with sharp grass (it does hurt, feels like needles).

The BIGGEST con, the place was not thoroughly cleaned; the shower still contained shampoo, body soap, and hair from the previous renters and there was mold along the shower. The fridge & freezer still contained other people's food. All of this made us completely question just how clean the linens on the beds were if two other main house resources like the bathroom and fridge hadn't been cleaned up- there was a sense of "quick in, quick out, quick flip" to the next renters arriving. We were also taken back that we had to dispose of our own garbage/recyclables in town; this would make sense if we were renting the entire house out, but if the owner is still on premises with waste cans right outside why could we not use those? The birdbath water fountain being on most of the day/night got to be too much and we had to close the bathroom/kitchen door not to hear it. The hot tub is clothing optional, but there's no fence again for privacy and sometimes we got a sense that we were being watched- the owners glass living room, patio balcony etc. is right there to see everything.

Overall, we stayed four nights and again Liza was VERY nice with a kind soul and didn't bother us during our stay. It's perfect for renters who like a Zen feel, to chill and relax, aren't worried about a neighbor next door, or for those that are not picky about cleanliness.
We do not like to complain with all the cons listed, but at spending nearly $900 for this suite, we expected it to be a little better- cleaner and with more privacy for the most part being that we were on our honeymoon. The description of the suite online is pretty close to accurate, but we feel it left some details out that should be mentioned.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Edward F
Medford, Oregon
“Peaceful Island Haven”
Reviewed 30 July 2012 for a stay in July 2012
people found this review helpful

Our stay at Sunny Knoll was an awesome surprise. Liza welcomed us warmly and we had the most relaxing time that I can remember. The quiet solitude was most relaxing.  We had deer visit each night.  This experience was far better than any Hotel or Resort or rental home and we will definately return. I had no trouble at all getting to her home, which is secluded on a hill, and I drove my dodge charger up with no problem at all.  We had the entire outdoors to ourselves including the ping pong table and basketball court.. Thank you Liza and looking forward to seeing you again.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Quiet solitude
Liked least: Nothing.
Travelling group: Teenagers
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
30 Jul 2012
Thanks Ed!
It was a joy to host your family. People like you generate the love and peace that make the world go round!
Dennis R
Rogue River, Oregon
“Over Rated, Over Priced and Dangerous”
Reviewed 2 July 2012 for a stay in June 2012
people found this review helpful

Sunny Knoll was a disappointment. The photos on the Trip Advisor page are misleading (you can’t see a ferry from the house). Hard to access on a steep gravel road, the place was indeed quiet, except for the nearby firing range that spoiled the mood. An extra $50 a night for the fifth person pushed our three night stay to over $800. The worst parts were safety issues. The split-level deck is an allusion, a trip hazard that caused three of us to stumble. I, a senior in my upper 60s, missed the step and fell to the second level! There are no hand rails on the deck steps. There are loose stepping stones at the front entrance. The microwave keeps running when you open the door. The showerhead leaked, which I tightened with my hands, as I did with the bedside lamps that could have been an electrical hazard. There are many maintenance needs around the house and yard, such as nail heads and splinters sticking out of the treehouse where children could get seriously hurt. Fussy restrictions regarding the white carpet, the hot tub and water use had us glad to leave.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The bed where I spent much of my time.
Liked least: The safety and trip hazards all around the house and yard.
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
2 Jul 2012
Dear Dennis,
I am sorry you were not happy here!
The entry step has already been cemented securely.I will happily replace the microwave. I didn't know there was any problem with it, you are the first to mention it.
All my decks and railings meet county code. I am very sorry you stumbled.
Thank you for tightening my shower head and bedside lamps!
The tree house and swings are routinely checked for strength and stability.I didn't see any nails but now i will go take a look, thanks for the tip there.
I post a close up photo of the ferry at sunset because it is part of the island experience of getting here.I guess I figured anybody looking at a "mountaintop get away" would know it wasn't on the water. I am sorry you didn't like the price, but it is clearly stated on my website.
There is no firing range on the island. Our sheriff's department uses the various gravel pits for target practice and occasionally the one a mile below my house is used, but that is only a couple times a year for an hour or so. All island homes located outside of town run on private wells. Many of them have water that smells like sulpher. Mine happens to be delicious and scent free from a depth of 480 feet.. It's not so much a restriction as a point of caution that if five people take long showers one after the other there is a chance we will run the well dry for a few hours.That has actually never happened. The only time I have run mt well dry was when I accidentally left the garden hose running!
I ask that everybody showers before they use the hot tub, and there is a heated shower house right there by the tub.I am sorry if this is fussy, but it helps to keep it super clean which I care about..Was there anything else..?
Oh yes, the steep road. Sorry I am not sure what to do about that.!
Oregon
Reviewed 2 May 2011 for a stay in August 2010

Check-in / front desk Service
Travelling group: Family with young children
Your age range 45-54
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Older travelers Families with young children
Families with teenagers Tourists
Large groups Rugged travelers
Seattle WA USA
Reviewed 2 May 2011 for a stay in February 2011
person found this review helpful

Travelling group: Spouse / significant other
Your age range 45-54
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
cass_sea
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
“Staying in Paradise”
Reviewed 28 April 2011 for a stay in April 2011
people found this review helpful

After making it to the top of a very steep driveway, you are close to the highest point on San Juan Island, and consequently have quite possibly the best view on the island! There is a beautiful moss covered rock outcropping ideal for watching the sun set from. There is an outdoor hot tub for watching the night sky, and the garden this time of year was full of fragrant hyacinth and other beautiful bulbs. Indoors, there are large windows to further enjoy the beauty of the outdoors. There is an impressively large library to peruse including fiction, non-fiction, children's stories, etc. which occupied me for hours. The walls are nicely decorated, and the furnishings are inviting. The kitchenette is not ideal for full-on cooking, but suffices quite well for making a quick breakfast. The owner, Liza, is warm and welcoming and I greatly look forward to staying there again next time life brings me back to the San Juans.

Travelling group: Solo Traveller
Your age range 25-34
Friends getaway A romantic getaway
Families with young children Families with teenagers
Tourists
28 Apr 2011
Thanks Cassie, you are a Gem!!
I hope to see you again... I can still see your cosmic headband in my minds eye..and I know you are juts across the water although the sky is so low today I cant see the observatory..

Love and best to you,
Liza
yovercast
Durham, North Carolina
“Total Zen”
Reviewed 17 March 2011 for a stay in August 2010

Myself, partner and out 2 children,ages 8 & 10, have a magical time at Sunny Knoll. Our accomodations were more than comfy with plenty of space to spread out. There is an awesome sauna in the main room that will take the stiffness out after a day of hiking and exploring the island. The outdoor hot tub gives you an open sky of stars to view. You are going to see more shooting stars than any where else. Whale watching from the shore was breath taking. The best part of Sunny Knoll was Liza, the owner. A true, pure spirit and our children still talk aboout her. We will return to Sunny Knoll soon.

Travelling group: Family with Young Children
Your age range 50-64
Older travelers Families with young children
Families with teenagers Tourists
Rugged travelers
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing