“Repeat visitor after several years”

Cask and Schooner Public House & Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Located just off the waterfront in Friday Harbor, Cask & Schooner Public House & Restaurant is Friday Harbor's premiere maritime themed english pub offering distinctive rustic fare and well crafted libations.
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Great finish on trip to Friday Harbor. Restaurant very close to the Ferry. Fish and Chips which sound somewhat mundane is very very good and we would recommend them. Nice decor and pleasant staff. Kid friendly

Reviewed 4 August 2014

My wife and I relished our evening at the Cask and Schooner. It was a Sunday evening and the band (or duet) played just the right blend of funk and rock to send us both back to our semi-hippie days of the 70s. The food and drinks were more than ample and the bartender made the night much fun!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I enjoyed the chicken sandwich here, as well as the sticky toffee pudding. The service was on the slow side, but it was a nice spot to relax for a while, and the food was quite good. It's location right next to the ferry landing makes it a popular spot!

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We liked this place a lot. Yes, there was a wait, but it was the very height of the season and the place was packed. The hostess explained that people were not being seated because the kitchen was backed up. This was quite understandable and being on vacation, we did not mind some extra waiting time. The restaurant has one of the best locations in Friday Harbor being at the corner of the main intersection in front of the ferry terminal. Our food was truly delicious. I had a special pesto pasta with sea food and it was almost too good. It clearly was made with butter and the butter made the dish very pleasingly rich. My wife ordered a beet salad and she reported it was very fresh and delicious. Our waiter was very good and attentive. After sitting down at one table, the manager very politely asked if we could move to another table so she could have our current table to make a very large table for a group of ten. We agreed and were treated quite nicely for our agreement. The wine and beer selection is great. I give it four stars because of the little extra wait but if it's good food and service you want, this is a place to go.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

This restaurant is situated in an optimal place in Friday Harbour, right opposite the waterfront at the corner of Spring St. This was one place that we hadn't visited on our last trip, so we checked out the menu in the window to see if there was something for everyone in our family. It seemed like an excellent selection, main course prices seemed reasonable and there was a lineup, so we decided to stay.
We gave our name to the girl at the front, and asked how long she estimated the wait time to be. She told us 20 to 30 minutes. We thought we could manage that, so we sat down on a bench outside. As we approached the 20 minute mark, I couldn't help but notice that there were several tables visible though the window that had been finished their meals for quite a while, but hadn't been given their bills. I began to watch more closely and realized that the turnover was very slow indeed!! I went back in to check and see how many people were still in front of us, and there were several. We had now been waiting nearly 40 minutes.
Bills now arrived on some of the tables, and were ready to be picked up, but, again, a great deal of time went by before the bills were dealt with, nevermind tables cleared and assigned to new customers. It was extremely frustrating to watch, and it was too late to go anywhere else. To add to this, I watched as at least two different groups, who were obviously known to the hostess, who somehow managed to get seated ahead of us, even though we'd been waiting nearly and hour and had never seen them in the lineup.
When we were finally seated, the service seemed to start out well, but quickly deteriorated as the wait for the food was just interminable. The soup that I ordered as an appetizer (thinking it would arrive quickly), arrived after my dinner salad, and only after I asked where it was. The steak my son ordered was small and full of enough fatty parts that, what was left after its removal amounted to only about 4 ounces of edible meat. My husband ordered what was described as 'lamb shepherd's pie', but was more like a stew, served in a bowl. Apparently it tasted quite good, but after 50 minutes waiting for a table and another 45 minutes waiting for food, I think anything would have tasted good. Normally, we would have sent back something that was unacceptable, but by this time, it was so late, and we were so hungry, it just wasn't practical.
I mentioned that the main courses are quite reasonably priced. I think this must be because they make up the difference by charging exorbitant prices for other things. My soup of the day, which I ordered at the suggestion of the server, was a whopping $9.00,(and I'm talking a tomato soup, not lobster bisque!) and my small glass of beer was $4.50, which was made ridiculous when compared to my husband's pint glass that was $5.00!!. A miserable evening, with no apologies for the wait or for the late soup. Needless to say, we passed on dessert.
I am surprised that this place is so busy. Perhaps this is because the customers are transient and only pass through once. It's a shame that they don't have better management - as far as I'm concerned, they get away with a lot!