“Lovely historic location. Very proud of the facility of prices are any indication.”

Roche Harbor Resort
Reviewed 24 September 2010

Very spendy. It's a lovely location and the owners have done an outstanding job of protecting local historic resources. But it is the most expensive property on San Juan Island and I'm not sure the prices are justified.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Roche Harbor Resort

Reviewed 1 September 2010

First, we love Roche Harbor. The first time we visited (in our childless days), we stayed in the main hotel (with the uneven floors) and were simply charmed. We stayed in one of the rooms with a private bath. The second time, the hotel was booked and we stayed in one of the condos.

This was our third trip and we brought our 3 year old. We opted for a condo so that we could put our child to bed and stay up later in the main room or on the balcony enjoying a glass of wine.

My husband is a pilot and he loves the fact that there is an airstrip at the resort. The runway is narrow and short, so keep that in mind if you fly a plane that requires more of a runway. You can always land in Friday Harbor -- which we nearly opted for given the gusty winds this time, but all went well.

The resort area itself, is beautiful with a full-service marina (with washer & dryers avail), a 5-star restaurant (McMillan's) that we love so much, we dined there 2 out of 3 of our evenings and the quality of the amenities for children are outstanding. The more casual restaurant underneath McMillan's (Madrona Grill) is open for lunch and dinner -- I highly recommend the crab nachos. For breakfast, the line is worth the wait and goes rather quickly for The Lime Kiln Cafe.

The rooms: The big negative that I've found in every room we've stayed in at Roche Harbor is the mattresses. I don't know if they invested in nicer mattresses for some of the newer rooms but in the older rooms, including the hotel, the mattresses are just dreadful. I can deal with that but if you back problems, it's definitely something to consider.

When we arrived, we were given Condo 119. Upon arrival, I noticed an odor and immediately opened the sliding glass door to let it air out. That seemed to help. While old; it was clean (minus the odor -- perhaps mildew?). The view was nice but not as nice as some of the other condos. There's a "pond" area in the harbor and that was our view. I had asked for a King mattress because I knew that our 3 year old would end up sleeping with us. Despite the king-sized pillows, my husband was convinced the bed was a Queen. Our reservations were for a king so I found it hard to believe they would give us a queen but after a rather uncomfortable night, my husband called to see if there were other rooms available and was told that some of the rooms do indeed have queen mattresses and they just haven't gotten around to figuring out which ones. The thing that's most disappointing about that is that since the bed had king pillows, it seems as if there was a bit of trickery involved. At any rate, there was another condo available and management was more than happy to move us. We lucked out as our 2nd & 3rd nights were probably their busiest (Fri & Sat).

* Upon arrival in room, we found a Pack-n-Play set up at the end of the bed. When I made the reservation, I mentioned our child sleeping with us. While our child is too old for a Pack-n-Play, I found the addition very service-oriented. It was provided without additional charge or me asking.

We were moved to Condo 105, 2 buildings over. 105 had a king-sized bed and was MUCH newer, nicer and with a substantially better view. Absolutely fabulous. A room to request in the future.

The downside of the condos are the distance from the main part of the resort. This is a minor issue for most people, and normally it would be for us but for the fact that we brought our 3 year old. The distance was just long enough that it took quite a while to meander our way in either direction (the resort or the condo) and one of us usually ended
up carrying our daughter the rest of the way. Again, not critical and in some ways welcome after we gorged ourselves in one of the restaurants but those moments when one of us was carrying an extra 35 pounds, we found ourselves longing for closer accommodations. I can also see the distance being difficult for anyone with a disability. They do have golf carts to assist you with your luggage but one hardly wants to call for a golf cart every time they want to have a meal or stroll along the dock.

Amenities for children include: A brand new playground / structure, a swimming pool that is a bit old but completely functional with a toddler pool and dressing rooms and a lifeguard and towel service. Our daughter especially enjoyed the bocci ball court, as did a number of other children we encountered at the resort. We didn't rent one but they do have sea kayaks, as well.

I took the opportunity to visit the spa and despite the very busy weekend (with at least 2 weddings), obtained an appointment immediately. The spa itself was nice and I was pleased with my massage.

There were a number of dogs at the resort. I don't know that the resort itself allows dogs to stay at the hotel / condos so it's likely the dogs were from the many boats docked in the harbor. Not a big deal as all that we encountered were well-behaved and leashed and their owners used the many poop-bag stations to clean up after their dogs but something to note if it matters to you.

In the future, we'd love to stay in one of the Company Town Cottages. They are supposed to be quite rustic and the location, near the pool and playground, cannot be beat for a family. Every time I see them, I have some sort of "Dirty Dancing" vacation moment with family, talent shows and the like in my head.

The condos do not have Internet access although it is available, free, in the main hotel and, I believe, the Lime Kiln Cafe.

There is a lovely beautiful garden near McMillan's for weddings or just enjoying time.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PortlandORGirl
Reviewed 27 August 2010

We stayed in one of the historic cottages, #23. I was here in the early 80s and remembered a pleasant experience as a young teen staying with my family. Now that I have my own kids (4 & 7) I thought I'd try it again. The grounds are very nice. Gardens, tennis, pool, sculpture garden (new since then and very cool), airstrip, nightly colors ceremony with cannon shot! Nice porches for sitting and watching the sunset. The historic cottages...OK, great location near the marina, pool and playground. Water views, deer feeding on the expansive grass lawn at sunset, very family oriented. Within the cottages is where it goes a bit south. Not a straight floor in the place - its as if the foundations have shifted by at least 5 degrees over the years. Doors do not close, visible slant to floors everywhere. Cheap fixtures and somewhat moldy bathrooms. These are rustic accomodations. So, at $350/night after taxes during the high season is this a good value? Depends on what you are looking for. We had a great time and would have pretty much anywhere anyways. The kids LOVED it and it was nostalgia for me as well, but next year we'll be looking for something a little nicer for the money. I believe that this resort always has catered more to the yachting community than the ferry tourists, but you can have a great time here if you understand what it is and adjust your expectations accordingly.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank chimpchamp
Reviewed 18 August 2010

My friends were getting married at the Roche Harbor resort and I made a last minute reservation at the Hotel De Haro. The only rooms they had available was an "European style" room in a historic building. By "European style " they meant a shared bathroom. I am not a type a person who would share a bathroom with a boyfriend in my own house, less with some stangers, but since I was only staying there for one night, I figured I'll manage. There are about 8 rooms on each floor and two bathrooms - mens and womens. The womens bathroom on the second floor didn't have a shower, just an old-fashioned bath tub. The womens bathroom on the third floor had a shower and toilet stalls, so while you're taking a shower someone else could be going to the bathroom at the same time...
But my biggest disappointment was the room itself - it's tiny; ugly - old flower wallpaper, just as old, shabby furniture; windows that are impossible to open or close. Of course there is no such a thing as an AC or room safe. The bed and pillows are uncomfortable. The walls are paper-thin, I could hear a whole conversation next door. But worst of all is SMELL. The kind of smell you get when visiting 200 year old New England museums - that explains why it was called the "Historic" building. It smelled so bad, that it actually kept me awake after partying till 1 am; it smelled so bad, that i had to wash all my clothes after only being there for a day. I did not get any sleep (uncomfortable bed, smell, noise), and probably would had a more restfull night sleeping in my car.

This is really a shame that they keep this building and charging quite a lot for this room, as the resort itself is beautiful and a new building is nice.

• Stayed: August 2010
8  Thank abc90
Reviewed 16 May 2010

Get your boating shoes on and head to Roche Harbor ! We just returned from our first trip of the year in our Chris Craft to Roche Harbor. The current owners have right idea , Its all about the service. With friendly fresh attention to detailed service. It was easy to check in over the radio for our slip. "NICK" our dock helper had us tied up in no time at all. Power , water, cable and pump out service had all our needs on the dock taken care of.
The GM spent time with us at the boat launch for a friendly chat and then it was off to the bar !
The shops and little store had everything we needed and most importantly a big friendly smile . We had a great time . Thanks to all See you for the Fourth of July !!!! M/V "Rogue Dog"

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 April 2010

Our party of five adults and two children (ages 2 & 4) stayed for a long weekend the last weekend in March. We stayed in the Company Cottages #22. The location was great and staying in the cottages was perfect with small children. They had room to run outside, play on the playground, and take walks by the water and down the road by the cottages. The accomdations were perfect for us, I would only note that the bathroom could use some work, it is charming but the floor by the sink had a little mold. Otherwise the cottage was great. It was well stocked with dishes, pots and pans and untensils. Roche Harbor is beautiful, the ladies at the front desk very nice. We had a perfect weekend! I highly recommend the Company Cottages.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 March 2010

Just got back from a quick getaway to the San Juan Islands. Stayed in a newer building (as opposed to the historic building) at Roche Harbor - the Quarryman. It was really nice. The room was great – spacious, beds had a pillowtop mattress and were quite comfy, fireplace, flat screen tv and a small balcony with chairs to sit and watch the harbor. Roomy tiled bathroom was clean, had radiant heat in the floor. The place reminded me a hotels in Europe. Best of all, off season rates - $99 a night a night seemed like a good deal.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
#1 of 2 in Lopez Island
Friday Harbor House
Friday Harbor House
#5 of 10 in Friday Harbor

Been to Roche Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!