“No pets allowed!”

35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“No pets allowed!”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We had our dog with us and were very disappointed that they did not allow dogs at the Farmers Market. Dogs can be better behaved than some kids in a crowd and it is a shame that they are not allowed perhaps due to complaints from others. The market seemed small but we did not get to experience it.

Visited May 2014
4 Thank RoMistry

Friday Harbor
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“small but high quality”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Yes, I'm a farmers market fan -- a fan of the local-only markets, not those that carry commercial products. The San Juan Island market, now held in its own beautifully restored building, consists of food and crafts from within San Juan County. For me, a resident of San Juan Island, this means that I have access to the best tasting lamb, chicken, lettuce, goat cheese, winter squash and chocolate candies in Washington State. I can eat superior eggs, herbes de Provence, incredible pasta -- and I deal directly with the dedicated people who produce what I put in my body. When the news articles appear about E. coli in the grocery store vegetables and fruits, and when the recalls occur, I feel a bit smug: the people who supply my food are friends and acquaintances, and I know the pride and care that goes into their work.
I know that some people can't taste the difference between the weeks-old produce at the grocery store and the hours-old produce at a superior farmers market, but surely they can see how quickly the commercial produce begins to decay. I once had to keep a head of lettuce from Thousand Flower farm for over a week, so that I'd have my favorite available after a trip off island. That lettuce didn't begin to lose flavor until the thirteenth day after purchase. So if you think that farmers market produce costs more, think first about waste with commercial produce -- and think about your health.
As for the crafts, besides being treasures on their own, please note that you are keeping money local -- or, if you are an out-of-town visitor, at least you aren't sending your money to a foreign country. (Did you see the visuals of mall violence? Christmas shopping at farmers markets is peaceful and the goods are innovative, one-of-a-kind.)
Besides my favorites listed above, the San Juan Island farmers market has prepared foods (the aromas are tempting) -- sandwiches, pizza and incredible baked goods (warning: stay away from the addictive carrot muffins at one bakery and equally addictive brownies and spinach feta croissants at the other!) -- plus music, flowers in season - and people having a good time shopping (can you say that about any chain grocery store?)
I love the very large Bellingham farmers market (see my review), but the San Juan Island market, perhaps half the size of Bellingham's, is my favorite US market. (Now there is a superior market in Arles, France -- but that's another story...)

Visited December 2013