“Nice location on a beautiful island”

Hillside House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #11 of 17 Friday Harbor B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 14 August 2011

The Hillside House is only a few blocks away from the ferry station in Friday Harbor. We spent three nights in the Parisian room on the semi-basement floor. The room is very tastefully furnished and full of Paris inspired furniture. A little bit dark, but quiet and cosy. Great breakfast (Greg) and a lot of entertainment and recommendations (Naomi) made it easy to enjoy the stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 July 2011

Greg, who handles the front desk and cooks the breakfast, is surprisingly unwelcoming and seems a bit hostile to guests. Our room was fine--comfortable but not large enough for lounging and a bit dark. Breakfasts were good, although rigidly served at 8:30, not the best time if you like to sleep late. The ferry arrives from Anacortes at 3:00, but they don't want you to check in until 4:00. This is an inconvenience, as you'll likely have a half hour to kill and it wouldn't hurt unfriendly Greg to offer you tea, coffee and cookies and let you sit on the deck and wait until 4:00. He prefers to run people who arrive from the ferry if they happen to appear a few minutes early. None too polite about it either. On another visit to Friday Harbor, I'd look for a different housing option.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank michaelbreed2
Reviewed 16 July 2011

Located out of town, fine with a car. Limited view and no ambiance. Homemade cookies, be warned, don't eat them. Breakfast is very average better to go into town.

The room was very nice but expensive.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank allauction
Reviewed 3 July 2011

I stayed at many b&b for the friendly host and different kind of services than hotel or motel. This is THE WORST that I've ever had. It is basically home-ru motel service with the B&b price tag. They mislead you with things like complimentary wine and cheese in the afternoon, but until I found out that you can only get ONE glass on the day you check in and has to be btw 4-6pm. I checked in at 6:03 and they said we are not getting it. The room was very average and old. The host didn't feel he needs to do anything. We were cold in the basement room at night but they turn the heater off for summer. And they don't answer to our calls at 10:30 when we are trying to get a heater. My friend got a cold on that night.
This is just the worst experience I had with b&b. I usually dont write reviews but thi one, the host Craig, really ruine my vacation.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 7 June 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at this very comfortable B&B. In particular we loved the sunny deck where we could sit, read and enjoy the weather as if in our own garden. There is also a living room which I could also imagine snuggling up into if the weather had not been as sunny as we experienced. Our room (The Parisian) was certainly comfortable enough to hang out in too but we are traveling for a long time and it is very nice to be able to stretch out properly occasionally outside of a bedroom.

Greg & Naoni have put a lot of thought in to the little things that make a visit easy. There is an instant hot water tap in the kitchen and at least 10 different types of herbal tea (plus coffee and cookies) available 24 hours. There is also a guest fridge where we stored our cheese and wine.

I understand why some people might consider Greg a little gruff but we felt that it was really important to him that we knew where everything was and how things worked so we could enjoy our stay. He ran through a number of local restaurants with us (they have several menus available to assist in choices) and we found his summaries bang on.

Breakfast was great - we had a delicious green chilli souffle with hash browns on Day 1 and on Day 2 a bacon & vegetable quiche. Both days there were also home made muffins or bread.

I also appreciated the notice re: water conservation that an early reviewer took such offense to. It would be easy to assume that an area of the world which gets so much rain might not have water issues and I was glad to be informed so I could make informed choices.

Finally the B&B is about 3/4 a mile from the harbor and my husband and I walked to and from town on several occasions and it took us only 10 minutes each time. I certainly would not let this "distance" put off a visit.

- although I have to doubt the opinion of someone who vehemently objects to a notice about water conservation. Really?! You think your "right" to soak in a bath outweighs a communities "right" to try and protect its valuable resources.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2011

We stayed in the Eagles Nest, which is the top most room of the house. Beautiful views with a comfortable bed and large jacuzzi. The breakfasts were amazing with carefully prepared meals that were delicious and filling. The hosts Greg and Naoni were gracious and full of suggestions for activities for the weekend. The menus of the best restaurants around town were a nice touch. The only downside to the Eagles Nest was that is got very bright in the mornings, so recommend early risers or sleep masks!

Room Tip: Eagles Nest highly reccomended
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2011

My husband and I traveled to Friday Harbor to celebrate our anniversary. Both Greg and Naoni were wonderful hosts and made us feel welcome. They gave great advice as far as things to do and see. Breakfasts were wonderful and were a great opportunity to talk with Naoni as well as the other guests as far as things to do for the day. We did a lot of hiking and really enjoyed our stay in large part due to their recommendations!
The only criticism we had was the bed. It was very worn and hard. Each side of the bed had a distinct sink hole into which we both fell. It made it difficult to sleep close.
We would return to the Hillside House if we were to ever return to Friday Harbor!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
#1 of 2 in Lopez Island
Argyle House Bed and Breakfast
Argyle House Bed and Breakfast
#6 of 17 in Friday Harbor

Been to Hillside House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!