“Simply said, "Superlative."”

Hillside House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #11 of 17 Friday Harbor B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Despite what other reviews may have said, the two days we spend here were marvelous. We were met at the door by Greg and instantly made part of the family. Breakfast was exactly what you'd expect at a home on an island paradise. Naoni knew the history, places to see and ways to avoid the rush. Conversations were enlightening and informative. If ever there was an oasis in paradise, this is the place.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We returned for the second stay at Hillside House B&B. In our opinion,this is absolutely the only option for us in Friday Harbor! Both visits we were greeted hospitably by Naoni and Greg. Safe, clean, and decorated very well. It is extremely easy to come and go to any part of the island. The breakfast is a gathering of sharing attractions and gourmet nourishment for the morning jaunts. Greg and Naoni are extremely knowledgable of the area and local places of interest. We will return!

Room Tip: All the rooms have a different style which is noted on web page
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2013

This is the perfect place to stay in Friday Harbor. Rooms are beautiful (we stayed in Victoria Secret), with plenty of additional blankets and pillows. The view from the balcony was amazing and the whole area is calm and pretty. It's not in the downtown but in the walkable distance - 15 minutes (or you can drive).

The owners are very friendly and helpful. They gave us plenty of good advices about the area. And the breakfast was just delicious. When we arrived, Greg (the owner) asked us about our food allergies and in the morning he served us freshly baked goods crafted to our needs (thank you!). And his wife is so amazing - it was like staying with our good friends:-)

Room Tip: We stayed in Victoria Secret and this room was charming - very romantic.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

The room and grounds were craftfully taken care of and very comfortable. A short drive to the harbor but not a big deal. I loved the window bench in the room with a garden outside. I loved to relax on it and feel the fresh air. The room was adorable. It was the Victoria Secret room.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank BreannaNick
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Pros:
-clean rooms
-Naoni is nice

Cons:
-Breakfast is mediocre at best. We had tasteless scrambled eggs, coffee cake from a box, fruit from a can, and granola from a box.
-While Greg was welcoming when we first arrived, he could be rude. I learned about a death in the family during the stay and needed to book a plane ticket right away. I asked him privately and politely if I could use a computer for a couple of minutes (like the one visible in the kitchen). He would not let me, saying there was no computer for public use. To me, this is the complete opposite of hospitality.
-Rooms are tiny.
-Rooms are lacking some basic amenities like a clock.
-Bathrooms are outdated and have very flimsy shower curtains, exc.
-We were looking forward to spending time out on the deck, but Greg was painting it, so there was very little outdoor space to enjoy.

Find somewhere else for your stay!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank CynthiaD_Chicago
Reviewed 4 July 2013

I surprised my fiancé with a birthday trip to Friday Harbor & I chose Hillside B&B because of the reviews. Our experience lived up to the good reviews for the most part & despite a few issues, we enjoyed our stay very much. The house is a nice walk up from the harbor, however the walk is more of a challenge while hauling luggage (even a roller bag). I booked one night in the "Eagle's Nest" room (one night being all I could afford at their summer rates) & found the large jetted tub, the big, beautiful king size bed & the décor to be wonderful, but we were quite disappointed to find the "private balcony" to be little more than a cramped space for a person to stand & lookout over a waist high wall where - instead of finding "wonderful harbor & mountain views" - we had a hard time focusing on anything other than a neighbor's yard filled with garbage. Not having a true balcony with room for two to sit comfortably, was made that much more disappointing because the house's large wrap-around porch was closed off & we were there on a gorgeous NW summer day looking forward to spending a relaxing afternoon outdoors reading with cocktails. We were thrilled to be allowed an early check-in & were happily surprised with a warm brownie welcome! Greg's breakfast was quite delicious & we enjoyed sharing our table with such interesting fellow guests. Breakfast being the only time we saw Naoni (which we thought was odd), we found her to be very pleasant & welcoming to everyone. Greg, on the other hand, tended to be slightly offbeat,& although he came across as friendly enough, he seemed quite anxious to get us out the door.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Shawn P
Greg and Naoni Z, Owner at Hillside House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

Dear Shawn P,
Thank you for telling the world you liked your stay "very much" and your experience lived up to the good reviews. We are glad to hear you appreciated your check in that was 4 hours early.
Yes the "balcony" is only a stand up area. That space was already in place when we bought Hillside House B&B from the previous owners who added the Eagle's Nest room during a remodel of the building. We have had contractors come look at the balcony area for how to make it bigger. Every contractor says they would have to do a lot of tearing out of ceiling and roof areas before they could rebuild the balcony bigger. The cost to do this is way beyond our budget so we are stuck with it the way it is, sorry.
If we could do something about our neighbors messy back yard we would. We do not like looking at it either, but they are not breaking any town ordinances.
Our large wrap around deck is in the process of getting re-coated with new stain. We are sorry that you were not able to use the area but stain has to be applied when it is not raining and the wood is dry. If the weather had worked in our favor the job would have been done before you arrived. Any tips on weather control would be welcome.
My wife and I do everything ourselves and right now I am trying to be especially efficient because my wife has a bad hip. She will need hip replacement this fall. The reason you did not see my wife very much is because by afternoons she is hurting and so she stays stationary downstairs working instead of doing a lot of walking up stairs. My thinking of my wife's pain and thinking of how I could do more may have given the impression I wanted you to leave quickly. I assure you that was not my thinking at all and I am sorry you got the wrong impression. We hope you and your fiance live long and prosper as a couple.
Greg

Reviewed 1 July 2013

We had booked two rooms for two nights for a party of three. Our arrival to the B&B was dependent on the flight arrival & Ferry schedule. Our flight was delayed & the last ferry left. We called ahead that afternoon to inform that we were going to be delayed & needed to cancel. Greg , the owner said he would do his best. Well he didn't do anything. We could not reach Friday Harbor & he charged us full rates for the room both days. The next day when we arrived, we were shocked to see our room, his idea of a third bed was a window seat padded that was literally a 2x6 in size. His idea of a breakfast was stale strawberries with some egg concoction.
I have stayed at B&Bs in the past which truly go all out to make it memorable, NOT THIS ONE.I would shop around for a better place if I were you!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Vijaya V
Greg and Naoni Z, Owner at Hillside House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2013

Vijaya V booked two rooms for her party of three on April 12th, 2013 and her group was to arrive on June 14th for two nights. Before booking two of the many things she wanted to know were the cancellation policy and the room layout. I thoroughly explained both our cancellation policy and the size of the room sleeping areas (one queen bed and one 30 inch wide X 8 ft long window seat) ( her daughter is the only one of hundreds over the years that thought she was too good to sleep on the window seat). I also directed her to where she could red our cancellation policy for herself and study pictures of the room she booked. She had plenty of time to book elsewhere or cancel her reservation before the short notice provision of our cancellation policy came to apply. She kept her reservation. She knew what she was booking long before her trip began. When she called to cancel due to a flight delay she called just four hours before she was to check in on June 14th. I had hope that I would be able to rebook her first night's room but four hours is not much time to work with and it did not happen and so I charged her for the night. If she had not been cheap she could have protected herself from an unexpected cost by buying travelers insurance. I do when I am flying from the West coast to the East coast.
As for breakfast nothing we serve is stale and for not liking the quiche, well, she sure ate a lot of it.
What her anger is all about is me being firm about my cancellation policy and not subsidizing her for her expense of staying in a hotel by the airport before traveling to San Juan Island. Her bad review is just her way of trying to punish me for not giving in to her. This does not make me a bad person or my bed and breakfast rooms low quality. Thank you for reading my reply.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Friday Harbor
#6 of 11 in Friday Harbor
Friday Harbor Grand
Friday Harbor Grand
#3 of 17 in Friday Harbor

Been to Hillside House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!