“Excellent Option in Santa Fe”

Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe
Ranked #9 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Mexico City, Mexico
“Excellent Option in Santa Fe”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed at this property for three nights in June 2014 and really enjoyed it. The concierge did a wonderful job of arranging delivery of our rental car directly to the resort, saving us a trip to the other side of the Santa Fe area to pick it up. We also really enjoyed the free, one-day rental of a Mercedes convertible that we used to take a beautiful drive to Taos.

The casitas have all you'd expect at a Four Seasons, although the standard rooms would be a bit cramped for a family of four (we're a family of three). The restaurant was excellent, and room service arrived with our breakfast on the last day in about ten minutes.

I'd also recommend taking the hike around the hotel grounds for some marvelous views.

On the whole, I would highly recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room if you want more of a view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Gil A
FSRanchoEncantado, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Greetings from Santa Fe!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review from your recent stay at Four Seasons Resort Santa Fe!

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit - everything from your room, Terra Restaurant, concierge, the morning hike, and especially our service. We are always excited to hear that our guests have an opportunity to get out and see the beauty of New Mexico, and we are glad you could utilize the Mercedes convertible to see the sights! Your thoughtful comments are truly appreciated. We are always extremely delighted to hear such positive feedback from our guests.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your impressions from your visit. We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you back to Santa Fe!

Cindy Racco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Four Seasons Rancho Encatado was all that we expected in a luxury resort and more! The grounds are breathtaking and the service is impeccable! We have stayed at luxury resorts all over the world & have found Four Seasons Rancho Encatado to be one of our favorites. We throughly enjoyed the staff & love the GM reception in which we were cordially introduced to the resort's management. Chef Cooper is brilliant & never disappoints with his culinary genius creations. The rooms, staff & grounds are Four Seasons worthy and we enjoyed every minute on this property. Thank you!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Catherine J
FSRanchoEncantado, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Greetings from Santa Fe!

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review from your recent stay at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado! Your thoughtful comments are truly appreciated. I am so pleased that your visit to the property was enjoyable. I completely agree with your kind comment about our Executive Chef Andrew Cooper he is brilliant! We are all very proud of our staff who are professional, caring people and are committed to ensuring our guests a true Four Seasons experience. I am so glad that you enjoyed the GM Reception! They are a great way to share our local artists with our guests for a truly unique, personal experience. I will share your comments with the rest our team, as there is no greater motivator than the praise of a “job well done”. We value your patronage to Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado and hope to have an opportunity to have you as one of our guests on your next visit to Santa Fe.
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 15 June 2014

In celebration of my wife and I's 25th wedding anniversary, I planned a whirlwind trip of the desert southwest that was to include stays at the top rated hotel/resorts in the area. I wanted first class accommodations that offered first class amenities with a certain amount of privacy.

Our destinations were Scottsdale. AZ and Santa Fe, NM. My choice for Scottsdale was the # 1 rated resort as deemed by Trip Advisor. And it was perfect in every way. I cannot say enough good things about it. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience by resort professionals who know how to get it right. But this review is not about the Scottsdale resort. I have review it in another post on Trip Advisor. This review sadly, is about the disappointing experience that is the "Four Seasons" Resort Rancho Encantado, Santa Fe.

My wife and I were in search of a somewhat remote, private location in Santa Fe that offers serenity along with close proximity to what Santa Fe has to offer. The Rancho Encantado provides that. It is in a fairly remote location but still within a 10-minute drive or so to old Santa Fe. The surrounding area of the resort is quiet and representative of the high desert. In that regard we were pleased with the location.

Upon arrival to the resort we were not greeted by anyone in the designated "valet" area as is the norm at a "5-star resort". We made our way to the front desk of a small, unimpressive lobby where we were greeted by a friendly face who welcomed us to the resort. Let me say this: Most everyone we encountered could not have been any more gracious or friendly. The staff is extremely bright and cheery. But I have encountered bright, cheery staff at a Days Inn. We came here to be pampered but experienced a less than first class facility. Let me explain...

Upon checkin we were given no information about what the resort had to offer...only a one-sheet paper map where our room was circled to designate its location. A young man did appear and offered to escort us to our room. Again, he was very friendly. We piled back into our vehicle and followed him to our room (casita) location where he took our bags and escorted us to our room which was located on the second floor of a "quad" of rooms. The handrail up to our room featured a huge bird dropping stain for the duration of our stay that ironically became somewhat representative of our Rancho Encatado experience. Our balcony view was another casita, once you stood up to look over the balcony railing that was covered with a dirty canvass. We also made friends with a huge spider and its web on the balcony that greeted us each day of our stay. I am convinced a maid has never seen this balcony.

The room is fairly well-appointed but frankly, nothing special. The closet is very large and the room features a wood-burning fireplace that I'm sure is quite romantic on cool evenings. The bathroom has a heated floor which is a nice touch. The shower was fantastic. But aside from that, the room is no nicer that your standard Hyatt Place.

Upon settling into the room, I was stunned to find no information whatsoever about the resort's amenities. There was absolutely nothing inside the room in the way of a Directory of Services or any information about the surrounding area. If I had not done my research, I would have no clue that the resort had a spa, a pool, or a restaurant. But even though I was aware the facility has these amenities, there was NOTHING in the room that offered information on them. What services does the resort offer? How much are the services? How do I contact them? Who do I call? What is the number? When are they open? Nothing. Again, just a paper map is all we were given at checkin.

There were two phones in the room, one of which did not work. And this was the phone that had "dummy" buttons for room service, the spa, housekeeping, etc. But since there was nothing in the room that listed services or their extension numbers, with a broken phone there was no way to know how to contact anyone. So all we could do was dial zero anytime we needed anything and wait to be redirected to who we were wishing to contact.

The lone TV in the room did not feature the standard "Hotel Channel" that allows you to explore the hotel's services, order a movie, check your balance, and check out. This is a 5-star resort???

We live on the east coast and admittedly our eating schedule was still a little goofed up on the first night of our arrival so we ordered a meal from the all-night menu at @ 11pm. The menu for that time of night is a bit limited but we understand that, so no big deal. We ordered hot sandwiches and fries and proceeded to wait...and wait...and wait. After an hour wait, a young man appeared at our door who handed us a tray featuring two uncovered plates with stone cold food and split. No offer to set it up inside the room, no inquiry if we need anything else or if things looked satisfactory. Maybe he was just embarrassed and was looking to make a clean getaway.

The next morning after our arrival, we thought we'd check out the pool. We knew there was a pool because we saw it on our little paper map. But after witnessing grass and other debris floating in the pool, we elected to pass and just went back to the room.

Another thing to note is the parking area is a bit of a distance from the accommodations. The facility also apparently allows contractors to park in prime guest parking areas and the spaces near our casita were taken by landscaper trucks and grout repair contractors. This is a 5-star resort???

We dined in the Terra restaurant on-site on a couple of occasions: one dinner and two breakfasts. We knew there was a restaurant because we saw it on our little paper map. Our dinner server was a bit inattentive initially but then got his act together and did a nice job. Our meals were mediocre but the patio view made up for them and was enjoyable. Our breakfasts were better and the folks serving us were very friendly and attentive. We dined on the pleasant patio area for our two breakfasts as well during our stay. Perhaps it's petty to point this out, but we sat at the same table both mornings. There was a crumpled napkin and half of a Splenda packet underneath the table when we sat at this location the first time. Over 24 hours later, the same crumbled napkin and half a Splenda packet were still there. This is a 5-star resort???

I have stayed at Four Seasons hotels and resorts all over the country and have come to enjoy first class, 5-star service at each of them. But the sub-par experience at the Four Seasons Rancho Encantado should leave Four Seasons' corporate embarrassed to associate themselves with this glorified Days Inn. Ironically, this facility was the most expensive of any resort we stayed for our 25th Anniversary trip but by far, the most disappointing. I'm willing to pay the @ $600 a night for an outstanding, first class experience. We received that experience at the other locations we stayed on our trip. But not so at the Four Seasons Rancho Encatado. I should have heeded the other less than glowing reviews. Four Seasons Resort Encatado should be prosecuted for fraud. It's all about attention to detail and this resort has none.

Does Four Seasons Corporate know about this place?

Room Tip: If you are in search of a secluded location, this facility provides that. If you are looking for a...
7 Thank jayski45
FSRanchoEncantado, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Greetings from Santa Fe,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review regarding your recent stay with us. I sincerely apologize that we were not able to make your stay with us an exceptional one. We take all of the comments we receive from our guests seriously and use them as a learning tool in order for us to find new ways to improve the overall product and service delivery we provide to our guests. If there is anything else I can do pleases do not hesitate to reach out and I would be happy to speak with you further regarding your stay.

505-946-5801
Chicago, Il.
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

The Four Season is a beautiful resort set in the hills outside Santa Fe. Based on the pictures I expected an extensive desert view. What I got was the view of a tree and the parking lot. A similar experience would hold true for almost any room on the ground level and even some upper rooms. The expansive views on the website apply to a select number of rooms. If you pay for the most expensive rooms I'm sure you'll get a good view. We had a deluxe casita, Room 38, in case you are interested.

The interior of the rooms are very nice. They are large and comfortable. I also found them to be quite.

I was celebrating my 60th birthday at the hotel. My birthday was the day we checked in. So when we mentioned it at the front desk the person they offered us an upgrade, for a price. We had not been to our room yet and we asked what room we'd get for the upgrade price. She told us and we said we'd check them out. After seeing our original room we decided we wanted to upgrade. We were told we'd have to wait before we knew for sure we'd get the new room. People were supposedly moving from one room to another but hadn't done it yet. After wasting over an hour and a half we were told the room wasn't available. The Four Seasons reservation service had given away the room. This wait made us miss my 60th birthday dinner reservations. Luckily it was a week night so we were able to move the reservation. All around it was a bad experience getting a room at this hotel and it messed up what had been up to that point a nice 60th birthday.

The highest rating I'd give the hotel is four circles for a deluxe casita. I gave it two circles for messing up my birthday.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank jkferg
FSRanchoEncantado, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Greeting from Santa Fe,

I was disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your stay.
The problems you highlighted are not in keeping with the standards that we continually strive to maintain, and I sincerely apologize that your 60th Birthday was not highlighted as it should have been, you missing your birthday dinner is unacceptable. I wanted to let you know that the appropriate discussions have been had and your valuable feedback will be used as a learning tool for our staff in the future.

Should you wish to discuss your concerns in more detail, please don’t hesitate to contact me at the number listed below. We take your feedback seriously and we do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to regain your trust and confidence.

(505) 946-5801
Maryland
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We spent 10 days at the beautiful resort and cannot find one criticism. The friendly staff, the immaculate grounds, the proximity to Santa Fe and surrounding places of interest, the Mercedes convertible they gave us to ride to Taos, the fabulous Terra restaurant, the fun pool and pool bar, the onsite adventure group that guided us on a wonderful hike to a amazing waterfall, the relaxing spa, the deadly boutique.....all made a memory we will never forget. Thank you

Room Tip: The three rooms located at the highest point of the resort are perfection.
2 Thank CG B
FSRanchoEncantado, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear CG B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and I appreciate your feedback. We are so pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy the Mercedes, our beautiful Spa and Terra Restaurant, as well as having a fun adventure with our Adventure Partners! Our resort is the perfect place to treat yourselves to a relaxing and luxurious getaway. We are very proud of our employees who are professional, caring people and are committed to ensuring our guests a true Four Seasons experience. I will share your comments with the rest our team, as there is no greater motivator than the praise of a “job well done”. Thank you again for taking the time to share your impressions from your visit. We hope that we have the opportunity to personally welcome you back to the Four Seasons Rancho Encantado Santa Fe in the near future.

Warmest Regards,

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Organized an executive retreat for 20 - productive yet relaxing in a fabulous, memorable location. Board room was comfortable and met our needs. Restaurant food was very good and lots of great options nearby in Santa Fe. Every room afforded great privacy and fireplaces in the room and on the private deck were a perfect touch. Highly recommended for business meetings.

Room Tip: Every casita offered privacy and quiet. Casitas up the hill had better views, but stunning location...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Matthew M
FSRanchoEncantado, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Matthew M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review from your recent retreat at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado, Santa Fe!

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit - everything from the Board room, casitas, to Terra Restaurant, and especially our relaxing atmosphere! Your thoughtful comments are truly appreciated. We are always extremely delighted to hear such positive feedback from our guests.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your impressions from your visit. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome your group back the next time your travels bring you back to Santa Fe, it was a joy to have your group with us!

Northern Virginia
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed only one night on a week-long jaunt from hotel to hotel, so we likely did not see everything that others have. Front desk and door personnel were very nice, well trained and helpful. Bar service was excellent, too.

The room was one of four in a casita, though for all I know, we might have been the only occupants. In any event, it was quiet. the only exception was the ceiling fan, which had two speeds - off, and thunderous jet blast. Yes, the view is largely scrub trees and brush, with mountains a few miles off, but that is what Santa Fe is, so I have no issues there. The sunset from the balcony was one of the most spectacular I have ever seen. Air conditioning could have been more robust (it was in the 90s in Santa Fe that week)

There is a hiking trail on the property, which you can take for a quick morning mile, or can detour for a longer hike. Gym is first rate, too.

Room Tip: Get an upper level room with a balcony that lets you catch the amazing sunsets. We were in #44, whi...
2 Thank luv2travl003
FSRanchoEncantado, General Manager at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Greetings from Santa Fe,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review from your recent stay at Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado! Your thoughtful comments are truly appreciated. I am so pleased that your visit to the property was enjoyable. I completely agree with your kind comment, “The sunset from the balcony was one of the most spectacular I have ever seen.” Our views are extraordinary. We are all very proud of our property and staff who are professional, caring people and are committed to ensuring our guests a true Four Seasons experience. I am so glad that you enjoyed the gym, we believe that our gym is top notch and the spa staff are great, they take great pride in their facilities and helping each guest with their needs, be that spa treatments and relaxation to yoga, Pilates and of course the gym. We value your patronage to Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado and hope to have an opportunity to have you as one of our guests on your next visit to Santa Fe.

Warmest regards,