“Oooh la la!”

Ranked #5 of 590 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: French
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Clafoutis is a French Restaurant and Bakery that serves Breakfast and Lunch. We baked fresh bread and pastries daily.
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Visited August 1, 2014. Arrived around 10:45 only to discover parking is practically nonexistent on the property. I would not waste the time trying to park on their "lot" (holds about 3 cars in the front) or in the rear for fear of being hit by someone trying to get out. It's a very, very tight squeeze, we tried and decided against it.Thought about parking across the street but signs are clearly posted the parking is only for employees/customers for another business, towed at your expense. Not willing to risk a tow or a wrecked car, we drove two blocks down and parked in the lot of a small shopping center. We could have saved ourselves a good 30 minutes of time and a little frustration had we known this prior to our visit.

We were greeted at the door with "Bonjour Madame and Monsieur" by the owner with a lovely French accent and a friendly smile. Put our name on the waiting list and waited about 30 minutes for a table, missed the breakfast menu! They stop serving breakfast at 11:30. But crepes are served all day! On Saturday ONLY, Beignets are also available. We were waiting in line as I watched the tray of Beignets quickly disappear. I finally asked if the tray would be replenished and was told no. So I asked for two to be sacked up for us to enjoy later.

I decided to try the Caramelized Peach Crepes with Creme Anglaise. My husband ordered the Roast Beef Sandwich with fries. I have never had crepes before and although the presentation was beautiful, I was not particularly impressed. It was just mushy for lack of a better word. Not much flavor from the peaches (pretty sure they were canned, not fresh) or anglaise sauce. I also did not care for the chocolate sauce that was swirled around the plate. That being said, my husband let me try his sandwich and it was wonderful!! The bread was like nothing I have ever had before! Such texture, good crust, soft inside, and wonderful flavor! The sandwich also had spicy mustard, cheese, and lettuce. It was hands down the best roast beef sandwich I have ever tasted!! The fries were also excellent. So good we did not even want to ask for ketchup so not to spoil the taste.

Service was adequate, could have been a little better. However, they are so busy, turn the tables so fast, and the food so good, I can overlook the lack of attention to details.

We did purchase some pastries to eat later. We chose macaroons, lemon and pistachio. All I can say about the macaroons is WOW! It was an explosion of texture and taste that sadly was over in only a few seconds. Should have bought more! They were light, full of flavor, and melted as soon as they hit your mouth. They were outstanding! The Beignets were just as delicious! Buttery, not too dense, and just the right amount of powered sugar. Yummy!!

The prices are very reasonable for the quality and quantity of food you receive. Our total bill was approximately 25.00 for the crepes, huge roast beef sandwich with fries, 2 Beignets, 2 drinks, and the macaroons. I have paid much more for food inferior in quality.

Next time we visit Santa Fe, we are definitely eating here again and again! Can't wait to try the Bruschetta and other sandwiches!

1  Thank KatzTravels
Write a ReviewReviews (1,389)

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

A nice authentic french restaurant. From the "Bonjour!" when we walked in to the delicious crepes and sandwiches, we had a lovely experience. Parking is a nightmare and we ended up parking about 1/2 mile away and walking. The prices were fair and the service was fine.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I noticed their certificate from trip advisor and the place was packed, so they are doing something right for most people. If you are in the mood for a French-style breakfast experience - totally ignore this review. However, our breakfast just wasn't up to the same level as we have experienced in the past. You know...when you go out to eat, you want it to be better than what you could have done at home. I had the salmon crepe special. It was good, but not great. Same with my wife's meal. Service was a little slow and parking is was a problem. If you are a tourist staying close-by, you should walk. Customers seemed to be either tourists or upper crust Santa Fe. Overall, just an average experience and one that made me wish we had gone elsewhere or just saved our money.

5  Thank DB-Raw
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We had coffee, light lunch and dessert here twice. Both were excellent. But don't miss the fresh raspberry crepe with vanilla ice cream. Out of this. World....simply delicious!!

Reviewed 31 July 2014

This place is the real deal. I have eaten here several times with friends for lunch and always bring home requests for my husband and teen boys. The owners are from France, lived in ABQ previously where they owned a restaurant for several years which I frequented often. The menu is very close to the same with quiches, sandwiches, soups, fresh salads, to die-for pastries and cookies and breads. THey are sweet and helpful. They cook for crowds too. Go !

Been to Clafoutis? Share your experiences!