“Didn't get the advertised deal we expected”

The Downtown Day Spa of Santa Fe
Ranked #16 of 41 Spas & Wellness in Santa Fe
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Suffolk, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Didn't get the advertised deal we expected”
Reviewed 23 January 2014

After a weekend getaway to Angel Fire and Taos for snowboarding and good food we stopped in for a couples massage on the drive back to Albuquerque. I had come across a Groupon for the spa which included a "candle lit couples massage with chocolate". We got the massage part, which was great, but there were no candles or chocolate. Also fine, it just didn't go along with what was advertised. Overall my massage was great, possibly even the best I've had, my boyfriend's was about average. I definitely wouldn't drive all the way back to Santa Fe just for a massage, and I'm not sure I would stop in if I were in the area, unless I had another coupon. I've had great massages in Albuquerque for about half the cost of what they charge normally.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank HazyHopsAlot

El Paso, Texas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Couples Massage”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

My husband & I received a couples massage. The set-up of the business is very nice.The massage was great and relaxing. The atmosphere was nice. The massage therapists were VERY friendly and seemed genuine. Definitely a well-kept secret in Santa Fe,NM! =) The oils that were used also smelled great and made the massage more relaxing!

Visited September 2013
Gainesville, FL
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Unpleasant experience”
Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

I was looking for a spa in downtown Santa Fe because I didn't have a car. I wanted a pedicure. Based on the name I chose this one. I walked and walked and then couldn't find it because the address was 614 on Google but the address was actually 624, around a corner and not visible from my direction. I finally found it and told the proprietor I wasn't feeling well and got lost because of the address error. She was unfriendly and told me I was wrong about the address error and to show her. I told her I didn't feel like looking it up again then. I wanted a pedicure and she put my feet in warm water with hot rocks for a couple of minutes. Then she started trying to take off the polish. I told her it was gel. She said they didn't work with gels and couldn't do it. She said they had a special on half hour massages for $35. Since I had walked so far and was exhausted I said yes even though I had a massage scheduled for Ojo Caliente two days later. Prudence did a nice job but when I checked out the proprietor charged me $15 extra for a foot cleaning. That was about the lamest thing I've ever encountered. All I wanted was a $35 pedicure and ended up with a $65 bill for services I didn't really want. She tried to be nice in giving me directions back to my hotel but I was disgusted by then. The place is in a small house, nothing special and definitely not something tourists are looking for. It was my worst experience of an otherwise lovely visit to northern New Mexico.

Visited September 2013
3 Thank JudyM00re
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Horrible Pedicure and new age claptrap”
Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

I went there yesterday for a pedicure. I had had an unpleasant experience before my arrival at the spa - When I mentioned the experience I received the impression that negativity in any form was not allowed at this place also my pedicure is awful very unprofessional I will never go there again even though I've prepaid two more sessions.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank GraceIsabell
Santa Fe, New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“worst pedicure of all time”
Reviewed 13 July 2013

What a miserable experience - and then to be charged an outrageous fee of $55 plus gratuity when checking out truly added insult to injury. For a pedicure, you sit in a hot back room with no fan or even a breeze from an open window, in an uncomfortable chair with your feet soaking in a kitchen bowl. What a shock when the manicurist reaches for a used emory board - so disgusting - and then the procedure continues to go downhill from there. Several basic steps were skipped entirely, and the ones that were attempted were totally inadequate -- old nail polish remained, my nails were not trimmed until I got home and did so myself, and just a drop of lotion was massaged on both feet for less than 30 seconds. They have alot of nerve charging the fees that they do for such a poor excuse for a pedicure. My first mistake was providing a credit card number when making the appointment .... my biggest mistake, however, was not walking out when I realized what an inadequate spa I had stumbled into.

Visited July 2013