“Enjoying opera on a mountaintop” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Santa Fe Opera House

Santa Fe Opera House
Ranked #2 of 256 things to do in Santa Fe
More attraction details
Owner description: A beautiful outdoor venue that offers music festivals in July and August.
Tucson, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Enjoying opera on a mountaintop”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Great interpretation on Carmen. Beautiful voices. Gorgeous spot. English or Spanish subtitles on a screen in front of every seat.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Most excellent experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

The setting is stunning, we enjoyed the apprentice night which was amazing. We will be back. We were surprised with the xtensive tailgating. Wish we would have know, we would have tailgated along with the locals.

Pagosa Springs
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Tailgating is fun in the opera parking lot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

the Santa Fe Opera is world class - we enjoyed 3 operas - tailgating and attending the early pre-performance chat prepares visitor for a fine evening.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Lovely opera house, performances vary”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

It’s now my fifth year of attending Santa Fe’s opera productions, 3 to 4 per year. Some have been just lovely, some mediocre, and some tedious. But it’s hard to tell in advance. If you don’t purchase your tickets months ahead of time, as I do, it would be an excellent idea to consult the reviews before selecting an opera. For instance, of the 3 I’ve attended so far this year (with one to go), I’d rate Carmen as okay, but not stellar, inasmuch as Carmen wasn’t able to project herself as a femme fatale (caveat--this was the performer for the first part of the season, not the second), and making Escamillo into a buffoon didn’t work for me. Don Jose and Micaela were strong. But making the setting the Mexican border in the 1950s rather than Seville in the 19th century was another problem. It didn’t work well. Of course, I’ve only seen Carmen before at the Vienna Staatsoper, so a comparison may be unfair. The production of two short operas, juxtaposed and integrated into each other, The Impresario (Der Schauspieler) and Le Rossignol, was downright brilliant and a huge pleasure to experience. If you haven’t seen this and can still get tickets, please do so--you will not, not, not regret it. The best I’ve experienced at the Santa Fe Opera. A friend from Paris who went with us (he is an opera fanatic who comes to see all 5 productions in Santa Fe each year) felt it was so good the production should go on the road to be shared all over the world. And lastly, sad to say, last night’s production of Sun Yat Sen was the worst opera I’ve ever been to (although the fact the lead was absent and the understudy so poor might have made some difference)--otherwise, boring, static, flaccid, with uninspiring music and lyrics. My wife, a refined music aficionado, complained that it hurt her ears. We left at the intermission, something I’d never done before. Santa Fe’s production was the US debut, and I confess I generally avoid first performances, and yet my wife tells me one she saw here a few years ago (The Tea Opera) was so outstanding she came back for a second time. In any case, hopefully you’ll have a good opera to attend and it won’t rain (July and August are the monsoon months in Santa Fe, so a rainy night is often in the cards). Incidentally, I’ve had seats all over the main floor, where I’ve always been able to hear well. At the back of the mezzanine, however, you might experience some fading. Women’s bathroom lines can be hugely long, but plans are in the works to remedy this. Note: don’t expect the crowd at this opera house to be elegantly dressed. Although a smattering few might be (and my wife and I appreciate those few immensely), most of the attendees just don’t bother. Highly unusual.

1 Thank Antonkai
Davis, CA
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Santa Fe Opera World Class Singing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

This world famous opera company is able to recruit some of the finest opera singers in the world for the summer season. If you go in August it's possible to see all five operas in a week. The city has many, many fine restaurants, and most are accustomed to opera goers. A 6:00 reservation will get you through dinner and to the opera house on time for an evening performance. The opera also offers a preperformance dinner on the opera house grounds, with a preperformance lecture, always well done. If Deseret Mays is the lecturer, don;t miss it; she's terrific. Also, if you happen to be in town when the apprentices present the performances called "Apprentice Scenes", they're a bargain, and you get to hear some voices many of whom will be stars in coming years.