“Great place to stay”

El Rey Court
Ranked #22 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We have been staying at the El Rey for a number of years and have yet stayed in a room that is like any other. The property is a collection of motels along Cerrillos Road about ten minutes from the plaza.

Room Tip: The farther away from Cerrillos Road the room the quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Bobert1030

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I've stayed at El Rey Inn many times, when traveling alone and also with my husband. It's a beautiful setting and convenient to downtown. When I return year after year to the same "home away from home" I like to feel that my comfort, safety and satisfaction really matter to the management. Unfortunately this was not the case during my recent visit in November.

In my room the pilot light in a gas heater wouldn't stay on despite maintenance twice re-lighting it, and I awoke to a frigid room at 1 AM, concerned about gas leakage and afraid to use the electric heater lest it cause a power outage, as I had been advised it might if left running. Though a kindly desk clerk brought extra blankets, reassured me about the gas, ok'd use of the electric heater and promised an adjustment on my room rate, none of my troubles were communicated to the manager, who next day met my complaints with skepticism and expressed no concern for the distress I'd experienced . She did offer to move me to another room but the electric heater was sufficient and as it was now mid-day and I was leaving next morning, I did not want to spend my remaining afternoon re-settling. The manager reserved making an adjustment on my room rate until she talked further with her staff, as if I might be making the whole thing up.

In addition to the heating problem, a missing lightbulb, a burned-out lightbulb, and a faucet that couldn't easily be turned off in the kitchen gave a further impression of casual standards.

At checkout, my roomrate for the icebox-night was reduced by half but there was no apology for my discomfort and distress, nor any offers that might assure my return as a guest in the future.

In the past, I've so enjoyed the quiet and privacy at El Rey, but I realize that despite its varied accommodations and beautiful grounds, El Rey is not an inn but a motel. Seniors traveling alone, like myself, may be better off in a full service hotel or a B & B where personal service is a priority.

Room Tip: The rooms in the Spanish Pavilion are quite elegant, like a real hotel. When my husband and I stayed...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
9  Thank Joyce M
Terrell W, Owner at El Rey Court, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

On behalf of our Inn, we offer our most sincere apologies for the inconvenience that you experienced on your recent visit with us. You are truly a valued guest and we do value your comments regarding your stay. Our Inn has been under the same ownership for over 40 years and we try very hard to make each and every guests feel welcomed, secure as well as comfortable. Please do give us another opportunity to serve you and let us deliver the level of hospitality that you are accustomed to experiencing at our Inn.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

We were greeted warmly and were upgraded to a nice room. The bed was very comfortable and the room was well appointed and clean with a micro and fridge. If you want a modern facility, this wil not be for you. I wanted a Santa Fe experience, and this was it. The breakfast was a nice warm tortilla with verde sauce as well as warm and cold cereals, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, toast and juices. There were no eggs and sausage or biscuits and gravy. The facility was very nice, although we arrived two days after a snow storm. The parking lot was a bit treacherous so we did not explore what appeared to be lovely grounds.

Room Tip: No elevators. Room was warm for a cold night.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Brandywine71
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I've lived in Santa Fe since 1985 and have often recommended El Rey Inn to visiting friends. I've always meant to treat myself to a staycation at El Rey. Finally a home repair necessitated leaving my house for a couple of days in Oct and Nov. Immediately I jumped at this opportunity to stay at El Rey. It is EVERYTHING I expected. It gives me that wonderful, homey feeling I experienced when I first came to New Mexico in 1976 (lived in Taos for several years, then to Santa Fe.) When you book your stay at El Rey, figure in at least an hour for"strolling through the gardens". I took about an hour during Oct and explored ALL the secret gardens, the intriguing paths, the second story views of the grounds. Breakfast in a lovely room with warm attention by Pete, Alice, and Lily - who've been there forever - with the guitar of Ruben Romero on the CD player filling the room and the inviting lobby - totally charming and the REAL feel of Santa Fe. Do NOT miss this treasure of Santa Fe!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank InspiredSantaFean
Reviewed 11 November 2013

This is a very lovely and charming bed and breakfast right in the middle of Santa Fe, Our room was very private, quiet and very well appointed inside. The room had beamed ceiling, attractive painted furniture, fireplace, refrig., very comfortable bed, decent large bathroom , super heating and AC, decent large closet with chest of drawers inside.
Our outside patio with comfortable chairs gave a very spacious look. The entire grounds were very well landscaped with flowers, bushes, trees, flowers, etc., even fountains.
The breakfast room was very art decorated with paintings, bronzes, etc., in keeping with the very art and craft mode for Santa Fe. The staff was very friendly and appreciative.
Parking was very easy with quick access to our room.
We could not believe the low rate for this excellent property, even though this is their low season!

Room Tip: Choose a room toward the back of the property away from busy Cerrillos Road.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank eddiethea
Reviewed 5 November 2013

This hotel is convenient in Santa Fe with parking outside your room door and located on one of the main roads. Near the square - but not at all walking distance. Nice breakfast area. Old fashioned motor-hotel feeling/ambiance. I would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank caymansilvas
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Despite a somewhat unsatisfactory experience at the El Rey a few years back, I gave them another try and hit the jackpot. Selection of room location and type is the secret at this place of many configurations. This time I reserved #50, a king suite in the back of the property away from the street, with a working wood burning kiva, its own patio and a separate full kitchen. The room was spacious with pretty decor, the bed was comfortable, and the rate was very reasonable for Santa Fe (or anywhere). When prompted, they provided a big supply of logs with fire starter packs that made building the fire a breeze.

The timing made a difference as well. Last time I was here the first week of October, and the place was mobbed and seemed somewhat overwhelmed in terms of grounds maintenance and the breakfast area. This time, the last week of October, there were about 1/2 as many occupants -- a definite improvement for guest comfort, tho maybe not for profits. I recognized many of the same staff members as 4 years ago, which says a lot for management.

Room Tip: If traveling in late fall or winter, get a room with a kiva.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends