“A great throwback inn”

GreenLeadersGold level
Fort Worth, Texas
“A great throwback inn”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

From the check in process through the viewing of the room and grounds, everything was as it should be for a hotel begun in the late 1930's when Route 66 went by the front of the El Rey.

The room we stayed in was in the back, on the second floor. It was added to the motel in a later time, and had all the amenities, plus a feeling of staying in Santa Fe, with a tiled bathroom, viga ceiling and a gas fired kiva. There was nothing to dislike.

We did not have the opportunity to take advantage of the outdoor pool or hot tub, but I assume that both are in keeping with the good condition of the rest of the property.

You will not be staying at a Marriott, but you should enjoy your stay and believe that you more than got your money's worth.

Room Tip: You might look at the rooms before you decide. The front desk is more than accommodating.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Wgou

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

My wife always passed this hotel on the way in and out of Santa Fe. I told my wife that before w move back east we need to spend at least one night. Our last night in Santa Fe we did just that. The room was beautiful with a fireplace right at the foot of the bed. It was snowing outside so we stopped at Albertsons and got some snacks and huddled in for the night. Very we'll furnished. Very Santa Fe-ish. A 1950's feel and comfortable. I'm glad we stayed here. Perhaps we shall do it again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Onerenegade
Gilbert, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times in the past, and it is the highlight of my business trips to Santa Fe. The inn is older and full of character, which is what I love most about it. The staff is accommodating, and if ever anything needs attention, I ask for David or Sylvia and it is taken care of immediately. Each room is different, with skylights, block glass, and corian counters. I request the same room and get it almost every time. Parking is fantastic at the door of your room and the outdoor hot tub is chlorine free and has lovely ambiance. Several restaurants are walking distance as well as a grocery store. The flowers in the spring and summer dribble from a rooftop garden.There are porch swings and rockers and tables and chairs for outdoor eating as well as fountains to promote relaxation. They have a lovely lobby with comfy sofas and chairs. I don't think I can say enough. I hear that they now have a refrigerator in each room. I just wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: I have never had a bad room, they are just all different.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Lisa D
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

We spent Christmas in Santa Fe with our two small children this year and the El Rey Inn was a highlight! The room was true to Santa Fe style, cozy and and inviting. The breakfast was great and the staff was helpful and kind. We will definitely be back!!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lauratilley1
denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed at the El Rey Inn over Christmas and had an absolutely fabulous time. Our room was comfortable and we liked the skylight in the bathroom. The front desk people were very friendly and we especially enjoyed the warm hospitality of the folks who ran the breakfast room. We will be back!

Room Tip: Highly recommend the rooms in the Colonial Courtyard
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank reintje
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

We have been staying at the El Rey for a number of years and have yet stayed in a room that is like any other. The property is a collection of motels along Cerrillos Road about ten minutes from the plaza.

Room Tip: The farther away from Cerrillos Road the room the quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Bobert1030
Jamaica, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

I've stayed at El Rey Inn many times, when traveling alone and also with my husband. It's a beautiful setting and convenient to downtown. When I return year after year to the same "home away from home" I like to feel that my comfort, safety and satisfaction really matter to the management. Unfortunately this was not the case during my recent visit in November.

In my room the pilot light in a gas heater wouldn't stay on despite maintenance twice re-lighting it, and I awoke to a frigid room at 1 AM, concerned about gas leakage and afraid to use the electric heater lest it cause a power outage, as I had been advised it might if left running. Though a kindly desk clerk brought extra blankets, reassured me about the gas, ok'd use of the electric heater and promised an adjustment on my room rate, none of my troubles were communicated to the manager, who next day met my complaints with skepticism and expressed no concern for the distress I'd experienced . She did offer to move me to another room but the electric heater was sufficient and as it was now mid-day and I was leaving next morning, I did not want to spend my remaining afternoon re-settling. The manager reserved making an adjustment on my room rate until she talked further with her staff, as if I might be making the whole thing up.

In addition to the heating problem, a missing lightbulb, a burned-out lightbulb, and a faucet that couldn't easily be turned off in the kitchen gave a further impression of casual standards.

At checkout, my roomrate for the icebox-night was reduced by half but there was no apology for my discomfort and distress, nor any offers that might assure my return as a guest in the future.

In the past, I've so enjoyed the quiet and privacy at El Rey, but I realize that despite its varied accommodations and beautiful grounds, El Rey is not an inn but a motel. Seniors traveling alone, like myself, may be better off in a full service hotel or a B & B where personal service is a priority.

Room Tip: The rooms in the Spanish Pavilion are quite elegant, like a real hotel. When my husband and I stayed...
Green Features: They are concerned about conserving water and advocate reuse of towels.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
9 Thank Joyce M
Terrell W, Owner at El Rey Inn, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
On behalf of our Inn, we offer our most sincere apologies for the inconvenience that you experienced on your recent visit with us. You are truly a valued guest and we do value your comments regarding your stay. Our Inn has been under the same ownership for over 40 years and we try very hard to make each and every guests feel welcomed, secure as well as comfortable. Please do give us another opportunity to serve you and let us deliver the level of hospitality that you are accustomed to experiencing at our Inn.