“Not much bang for your buck!!”
Review of Hotel Santa Fe

Hotel Santa Fe
Ranked #12 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
GreenLeadersSilver level
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Not much bang for your buck!!”
Reviewed 15 August 2011

My wife and I stayed two nights for our 19th anniversery. I was suprised at the lack of detail and the value of the room vs what we paid for it. They do not have full room servie. No carts so you can enjoy your food at a table and no menu in the room. Room out of date no flat screen T.V.'s, no coffee makers, and the bathroom is something I would expect to see at a exprss or budget hotel. The ice machine was broken on our floor. The room service trys were not taken out of the hall the entire day. The towels were clean but had old stains on them the sheets on the bed were worn and should have been replaced. We stayed in the Jr. Suite and paid over $800.00 for the room and a couple of extras and I feel like we could have done much better. It was like staying at a 3 star and paying 4-5 star pricing.

Room Tip: Not a good value for what they are charging.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jeff M
PaulMargetsonGM, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, responded to this review, 16 August 2011
I am obviously disappointed to learn of your unhappiness with your stay as we constantly strive to provide the best service and environment possible. The TVs are gradually being replaced, but you can imagine the cost of replacing 300 of them all at once!! The trays left in the hallways is certainly unacceptable and thank you for bringing that to my attention.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Not knowing anything about the Santa Fe area, we decided to choose the only Native American owned hotel in Santa Fe for the true Santa Fe experience. We were not sorry. The hotel and staff were truly a Santa Fe experience with local color and flavor. The restuarant was also first class with foods that reflect the heritage and local cuisine. Staff and room service was also first class with the concierge service truly helpful. Finally, the location was within walking distance to the market place and many of the wonderful eating areas. A winner.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
PaulMargetsonGM, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, responded to this review, 12 August 2011
Thank you so very much for your kind remarks. Please come back soon. You are obviously “a winner” too!!
Hatfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Our home in Santa Fe for our 3-night long weekend was the Hotel Santa Fe & Hacienda, about a 15 minute walk from the Plaza. We booked it online knowing very little about it other than it claims to be the only Native American-owned hotel in the city and it was one of the few places within walking distance of the Plaza that still had rooms available for under $200/night. Good enough for us. My husband and I really lucked out because we booked a regular king bedroom for $169/night but they upgraded us to a jr. suite (a $265/night value), so we had an additional living area with a pull-out sofa, desk/table, wet bar area, and television. It's a large hotel, at least to us--we mostly stay in smaller inns or B&Bs when we travel--but it doesn't have that impersonal feel I associate with other hotels of similar size. And may I just say here that I LOVE that it doesn't go over the top with Southwestern kitsch? It's mostly understated Southwestern elegance in the public spaces and in our room, and I love the many sculptures and local art featured all around the property. My one other trip to Santa Fe I stayed in a B&B that was dripping with southwest knickknacks, albeit expensive-looking ones, so this was a refreshing change. All of the staff members we encountered were extremely pleasant, as was the property in general. All other things being equal, I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
chucktown
Reviewed 29 July 2011

This hotel is in serious need of renovations. Hotel Santa Fe is in the Southwest style but the furniture, (TVs and microwave looked like they were from the 80's or 90's), walls and ceilings are need of major repair and general upkeep, very disappointing for the cost/value. Air conditioning noise and temperature issues were causes of sleepless nights. The hotel did not make any adjustments to the bill or other offers. Food at hotel restaurant was well prepared and service was attentive. Spa was great, as it was new.
Tip: Go to the spa and stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChucktownWoodchuck
Just because we don’t have flat screen televisions in all our rooms yet does not mean we are antiquated. We spend over $500k on renovations every year, so you are mistaken, but I value your comments and I would greatly appreciate knowing which room you stayed in, as it obviously needs my attention?? Let me know and I will fix that ceiling if that is so!! (P.S. I have personally inspected more than 50% of our rooms in the past month, but perhaps one slipped through the cracks - my apologies.)
Arizona
Reviewed 28 July 2011

What a delightful getaway retreat location! Well appointed with beautiful Native American decor, delightful and accommodating staff, unheard of free parking and free wi-fi compared to other prime Santa Fe hotels located close to plaza, and great coffee/tea, cocoa station set up near elevator on our floor. Located not far from "The Plaza", easy walk or take free shuttle service in a unique purple vehicle. Hotel we usually stay at was sold out but this will now be our regular annual stop!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank klassmal
PaulMargetsonGM, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, responded to this review, 3 August 2011
Many thanks for your kind words and I am delighted to learn you enjoyed your recent stay so very much. Please come back soon and in the meantime, have a wonderful summer!!
Houston
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We booked the Spa Package and everything exceeded our expectations. We wish we had upgraded to a slightly larger room in the Hacienda, but over all it was a great experience. We liked being in the Hacienda with the butler service. We visited the lounge for a snack the afternoon we checked in and my husband used it in the early mornings to read the paper and have coffee before I was ready for breakfast. The package included a full breakfast each day which were scrumptious and in a beautiful setting. We ate late between 9:30 and 10:30 AM each morning and never needed a lunch. Also included was a dinner for two with a bottle of wine. We expected average hotel fare since it was a prix fix menu, but it ended up being one the best meals we had in Santa Fe. Simply delicious! Lastly, the package included two one-hour massages. We had them at 8PM and were able to go right to bed. We both felt they were excellent massages and it was so very nice to be able to go back to the room in the same building. The room itself was nice and southwestern decor was lovely. We were there for three nights and when it's that long of stay, it's nice to have a sitting area. Ours only had one side chair that was sort of in the way. On the other hand, there are nice, quite lounge areas in the lobby of the Hacienda and when the Lounge is open. The mattress was quite hard and the bathroom showed a tiny bit of wear and tear and we did have a clogged toilet one day, but they came very quickly to fix it. We did not use the purple shuttles (though we did see them several times) but we were there for three week days and had no trouble finding parking near the square. We would definitely stay there again and get the Spa Package again!

Room Tip: Rooms in the Hacienda (separate building) are very quiet and had private parking.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you so very much for taking the time to write your wonderful, kind words to tripadvisor.com. I am delighted to learn you enjoyed your stay and the Spa and sorry you just missed out on our new mattresses, which we are installing this week - and they are really nice!! So please, come back soon!!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 27 July 2011

On several trips, I've stayed with my husband at both the regular hotel here and at the Hacienda. Really, I don't have any complaints. It's a nice property and there are definitely some perks at the Hacienda, but if you're going to spend that much money on your stay, La Posada looks even better.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Well I obviously have to respectfully disagree and I hope you might give us another chance. As you can see from other comments, we really value our guests!!