“Even Better the Second Time!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Santa Fe

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hotel Santa Fe
Ranked #12 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
GreenLeadersSilver level
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Even Better the Second Time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

Hotel Santa Fe Soothes the Weary Traveler

Hotel Santa Fe has the healing power to soothe the savage beast that lurks inside the weary traveler. I arrived at the hotel in a fairly disgruntled state and the true litmus test of a great hotel is the ability to change my attitude in a matter of minutes. The warmth and hospitality of the front desk staff, the owner, Paul, the Hacienda Butler, Peter, all conspired to shift my disgruntled mental state to cheerful wellbeing.

My king bedroom in the Hacienda building was very attractively furnished—super comfortable bed and quality bedding. As the only Native American owned hotel in Santa Fe, the furnishings and art work are harmonious and generously displayed— Kiva style fireplace, fine hand crafted furnishings and luxury bathroom amenities. I honestly can’t find one detail that has been overlooked, including New Mexico art books in room.

Pet friendly plus! Owner, Paul’s canine mascot, Herman meets and greets at the front desk and we were offered dog cookies, pet waste bags and a map of the hotel’s Puppy Professional Park (where doggies do their business).

We had a wonderful dinner in the (full)bar section of the Amaya Restaurant where my furry companion was able to join me. Sophie, French restaurant manager adds a cosmopolitan air and European hospitality and new employee, Birdy, made a Cosmopolitan extraordinaire.

Families definitely feel welcome here but there is a wonderful sophistication still to be savored.

In warmer weather, guests are able to relax and enjoy the outdoor swimming pool, hot tub and dining area patio.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
PaulMargetson, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
So very many thanks for your kind and gracious comments and we are all delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay! And Herman thanks you also!!

thu xonn chiimen iy a whachii wye wye - May Your Travels Bring You Back Soon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
Princeton, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

Great family spring break rate, but only an OK stay. Service at check-in and check-out was friendly and helpful. Room clean and adequate. Wireless service was terrible. Breakfast was disappointing -- very little fresh food available; instead, lots of sugary baked goods.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
PaulMargetson, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
I am equally frustrated to learn you had wireless service problems, as we have recently upgraded everything again and were under the impression that all is well. I wish I knew which room you were staying in! Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you were caused, but please note we also have a business center to overcome any problems of this nature.

chenoho mima téwe yo tha - We thank you for staying with us.
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Loved our stay!

This was the last hotel we stayed in for two nights at the end of a long road trip and what a delight. It was our favorite of all the places we had been.

We stayed in the Hacienda on the first floor. The suite was spacious with a king size bed, large shower with double heads, fireplace and sitting area. The leather chairs were awesome! We just sat them in front of the fireplace and relaxed with drinks at the end of the day.

Also included (complimentary):
1. Breakfast - selection of fruits, juices, yogurts, hard boiled eggs, etc.
2. Happy hour - wine, local and domestic beers, cheese and crackers.
3. Butler service - we didn't use but I'm sure it would have been useful if needed

The only thing I would change, as usual, is the daily resort fee. I still haven't received a useful explanation as to why it's charged from this hotel and others. It's annoying.

Overall, wonderful stay!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CelestePeacock
PaulMargetson, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Allow me to give you the scoop/logic on the Resort Fee issue - or at least from my/our perspective!! Unfortunately, it is a “if you can’t beat them, then you have to join them scenario”!! All of the competitive hotels in Santa Fe (and for that matter, across the USA) charge some sort of fee - whether it be parking, wifi or Resort! To remain competitive - and by going online - we (and you!) can see the rates being charged by all the hotels/competitors - and unfortunately because of the world we live in, the general public will often (not always) come to stay at a hotel based on price $$ - if all else is equal! So, if we add the Resort Fee to our published rates, we will be shown to be $20 more expensive and invariably (and sadly!) You will chose not to stay with us!

We do need to make it more transparent to prospective guests on our website and that will be continually monitored. Unfortunately, the online agencies tend to disclose these fees in small print!

I do understand and acknowledge the frustration that some guests including yourselves feel concerning this fee, which by the way A.R.T. stands for Art, Resources and Transportation. We give a large share of this fee to 501C3 art organizations in town. Resources and Transportation includes newspapers, wifi, local telephone calls, use of the Business Center, including photocopies, sending and receiving faxes within the USA, having documents notarized, parking, use of the Swimming Pool (Seasonal) and Hot Tub, use of the Fitness Center at our Spa, coffee and tea from 7am to 12noon and bottled water available throughout the day in the Lobby, printing of Boarding Passes, dog walking and Taxi/Shuttle transportation all over town.

Thank you for the question! I hope my response provides some sort of satisfactory answer?!

As an aside, and because of the challenging world we now live in, we have still not been able to return to the rates we were able to quote prior to the 2008 recession and without this Resort Fee income, we would probably not have survived these past few difficult years!!

So please come back and stay with us again soon. We do appreciate your patronage. Thank you!
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

I stayed 4 nights and it was an enjoyable experience. I typically stay at B&B's or very small inns so staying at a larger hotel was a change for me. I missed the intimacy of smaller settings but the friendly staff and excellent service give Hotel Santa Fe a homier feel than I was expecting. My only peeve was that neither the package provider nor the hotel website mentioned the $18 dollar a day resort fee, When I arrived I had the basic King room on the ground floor. It was the room facing the front driveway so I requested an upgrade ($25.00 per night) and got a first floor room facing the rear of the building with a parking lot view but it was quiet. The room showed a little wear but it was well kept and very clean. The use of the little purple taxis and shuttle that are included in your $18.00 a day fee is a great amenity. I really enjoyed the pre-fixe dinner options available between 5:30 and 7:00 p.m. If you choose to have breakfast at the hotel you may wish to select from the menu rather than choose the $11.00 continental breakfast. I ate at a couple of other places and the only one I will note, which was suggested by a local, was the Plaza Café. It's an old fashioned diner, nothing fancy, there were tourists and townies and the food was delicious. I used the spa - they squeezed me in when I called after a day of visiting Bandolier and climbing up to the top of Tsankawi. I had a combination scrub and massage including the use of hot stones. It was fantastic. Another highlight was the Friday and Saturday night performance of a gentleman who played the guitar and native flute - beautiful. The little touch that I enjoyed the most were the native prayers and sayings that were left on the bed by the cleaning staff each day. Last but not least I enjoyed using the hot tub. It was wonderful sitting outside in the brisk March air after a full day of hiking. I would stay here again and would recommend it to other travelers.

Room Tip: I believe the upper floors are more expensive but I believe you have better rooms. I found my room...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank N T
PaulMargetson, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Thank you so much for your kind comments and we are all delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay. Your hiking sounds exhausting, but ia m also pleased to know that your Spa treatment was a success!

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

I can't say enough about what a great stay we had here. We stayed in the newer section of the hotel and had a wine and cheese reception each afternoon on the top floor lounge, next to the fireplace.
Each morning a Continental Breakfast was waiting in the same location. The food was always fresh, and the Butler Service was great. Robert, The Butler and two other gentlemen were always available for local information, and great restaurant advice.
The hotel shuttle would drop you off or pick you up within a mile of the hotel, and that distance covered all the local attractions and restaurants that Santa Fe is known for.
The room was clean, quiet and very comfortable. And the shower was absolutely perfect.
We will stay here each time we return to Santa Fe.

Room Tip: We had a Suite on the Fifth floor. Never heard anyone above or below.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank clearrock
PaulMargetson, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
So very many thanks for your wonderful compliments!

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

The room was gorgeous, and the art throughout the hotel was really nice. I appreciated that the breakfast and cocktail hour used real plates and linens, with really good service. Overall, the place was worth it and we had a wonderful weekend, but it would have been a really amazing weekend if we only had to deal with the Hacienda and not Hotel Santa Fe.

The bad service we received was through Hotel Santa Fe, where you have to check in. Eloy, at the front desk, told us we would have to wait for a clean room, despite telling us that there were other rooms that were currently clean that weren't reserved for the time we were there. So he easily could have given us one of the clean rooms, but refused. Eloy was adamant that he would call us as soon as our room was cleaned and that we didn't need to come back to check. Well after 1.5 hours of waiting we went back up. Eloy said the room had been clean for a long time now, but he just never called us (he didn't say why). Also, the lobby is really nice in the Hacienda, but not very nice in Hotel Santa Fe, and they wouldn't let us wait for our room in the Hacienda lobby.

The service staff at the Hacienda was excellent, but I wouldn't call them "butlers." I expected butler service like at other hotels, like unpacking and packing for you, planning your itinerary, and at a minimum learning your name. Like I said, they were excellent at what they did, just don't expect them to do real butler tasks like you would at other places (which are generally much more expensive than the Hacienda). The butlers never offered to help us with anything, except saying hello and taking our dishes at the breakfast. With real butlers, you never have to ask for assistance.

Also, the morning we were leaving, we were woken up by a phone call of the hotel asking us to move our car immediately because they have a delivery coming in. My car, and all the others that had to move, were parked in a regular hotel guest parking area. We were parked exactly where we were supposed to be. This seemed really inappropriate and they need to plan better. The man did offer to move my car for me, but I wanted to move it myself since I needed to know where it was to retrieve it myself.

The spa is also not very good. They have zero facilities (like a hot tub, sauna, nice room where you wait between treatments), yet their prices are the same as all of the other spas in town that have facilities. So I'd definitely go somewhere else next time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank commscholar
PaulMargetson, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review to tripadvisor.com. Unfortunately, we have stopped asking our Hacienda guests if they would like us to unpack for them as 99.9% of the time this option is declined - no excuse! We need to reinstate this “ask”.

I am sorry to learn that Eloy let you (and me!) Down and this matter has been addressed!

Also apologies for the car move request, as we had a storage container being delivered and the “closing off” of those parking spaces was overlooked the night before.

I am, however, glad to note you enjoyed your stay in The Hacienda. With apologies for our shortcomings!

kowaen mina so thuu puchi - Have a great day!
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

This was our second time staying at the Hotel Santa Fe. We love this hotel. The rooms are perfect, the staff is outstanding and the little purple London taxis that will chauffeur you almost anywhere made stay complete.

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank And_Livi_makes_3
PaulMargetson, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Hoping you will be back for a third visit soon?!

chenoho mima téwe yo tha - We thank you for staying with us.