“A little disappointed”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Boulder, Colorado
“A little disappointed”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

When I made my reservation at The Hacienda I was looking for an upscale hotel. I wanted to stay at a nice hotel because I am a female traveling alone. I asked some questions and decided to book Hacienda for three nights. While I was talking to the agent the 1st night sold out so she offered to put me in hotel Santa Fe the first night and then move me. It was last minute and I was not sure if I wanted it so I told her no because I wanted to research hotel and did not want to adhere to cancellation policy. She waived cancellation policy and put notes in computer. When I arrived the front desk guy insisted I was a no show and I would have to pay for 1 St night. I disputed so he told me he would have to listen to recording bc reservations are recorded. I said ok. Then he said the agent was there so he would talk to her. A while later I inquired and was told she was at lunch at hadn't called yet. I called her directly spoke to her and she said she would talk to him to remove charge as soon as we hung up. I asked her to listen to recording too. I went downstairs and he actually lied to me and told me she hadn't got back to him. When I called him on it his response was," She did call but I was too busy to take the call.". That is a totally inappropriate response especially for a hotel claiming to be 4 star with exceptional service. After going to plaza I checked again and he said he would remove charges but not without telling me that the reservation agent wanted me to be charged but he would take charge off. She was the one helping me and even if she did why did he feel the need to tell me that? Birdie in the restaurant was exceptional, Thomas the driver was fun and informative and the butler who printed me directions to Ghost Ranch and tent rocks was great(not sure of his name or the name of rude front desk guy). Also my 1st floor room was a little stuffy. It is a shame because a lot of the staff were nice and I really wanted to like this cool locally owned hotel. I am bummed bc only vacation for a while. I also used to work for a hotel myself and I currently own a pet salon and would never treat a customer the way that guy treated me! I request management listen to recording but I am not sure if one exists or if he just had the desire to treat me like a criminal.

Room Tip: Heard from other travelers that 1st floor not as nice.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Hapincp
PaulMargetsonGM, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
You are absolutely correct and the Front Desk agent was totally out-of-line with both his responses and attitude. I am so very sorry that you were treated incorrectly and inappropriately - whether we record a reservation or not is only for our in-house accuracy confirmation and should never be used in the context you encountered.

Please give us another chance. I promise you we can do better!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Just stayed two nights with my sister. The room was very nice, quite and comfortable. The bathroom was small but doable. Nice tea and coffee service in the mornings on each hall way. Location good a slight walk to the old town center but not a problem. Desk staff very helpful. Pool was closed still for the season but hot tub was open. Not sure we would have used it though even if it was open.

Room Tip: Continental Breakfast $11.00 person. We faced the main street and were able to sleep with the balcon...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
PaulMargetson, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Many thanks for staying with us and so glad to know you enjoyed your stay!

Boulder, CO
Reviewed 10 April 2014

The desk staff were not very nice. We arrived an hour and a half early after a long drive from Boulder and were told check in was at 4:00. We came back at 4:00. Again no nice greeting, but the suite was lovely. We had a large gorgeous bath with lots of counter space. The living area was very nicely done with a great private deck area attached. The bed and linens were to die for in a very spacious bedroom. A nice wine and munchies was done in a wonderfully bright and airy lounge area with private outdoor space. The butler service was such a nice touch. We also had dinner at their restaurant, all well done. If you can just get past the front desk, you will enjoy your stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite in the new addition.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank COTravelerBoulder
I am so sorry to learn that our Front Desk staff was less than courteous as they are invariably our “stars of hospitality”. Please accept my sincere apologies and your comment has been addressed with them!

chenoho mima téwe yo tha - We thank you for staying with us.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The overall quality of this hotel is very nice. The staffs are very friendly, the hotel is very beautiful, the location is great. We had a room with a fireplace inside which was very nice. The not very good thing about this hotel is its breakfast. It's pretty bland and boring and I wish they served something better and changed once in a while (we stayed there four days and every day was the same) Also, this is very important, they will charge you in advance for one night for deposit (which when I called hotels.com they do not have this policy and no one ever told me about this policy either until I found out from my AMEX) so make sure you are aware of this issue.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank sagicaprio
PaulMargetson, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
It has been our custom for man years, just like the airlines! But our apologies that this was not brought to your attention when you were making your reservation!

And yes, we do need to add variety to our breakfast offerings and we will work on that.

chenoho mima téwe yo tha - We thank you for staying with us.
Artesia, New Mexico
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We were up in Santa Fe for the weekend and took advantage of a Spring special on their suites. Ours had two double beds and a sleeper sofa. The room was decorated nicely in the usual southwest decor one sees in most of the places here. Good size room with a frig. The only downside was a view of some junk out the window....would be easy to tidy this area up. There is a 18$ resort fee here which covers parking and the use of the shuttle. Never had a problem getting the shuttle to take us where we needed to go in a reasonable amount of time (it goes to the plaza and gallery areas generally). One can walk to the plaza area from the hotel...not a bad walk...perhaps around a half mile. Staff very very helpful and courteous. Having stayed at quite a few hotels in Santa Fe I would say it is in the mid range price and room wise...not luxury but very comfortable. Breakfast was OK....better eating options can be found in the area though for breakfast but is was convenient. Free coffee is available in the bar area near the restaurant as there is no coffee makers in the rooms (ours anyway). Decent value for the money...recommended.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank JohnandJean681985
PaulMargetson, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Many thanks for your recommendation and also thank you for staying with us!

Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We arrived and were not greeting very warmly by the front desk staff person. She informed us she would have to charge daily for the credit card we were using because it was a debit with VISA logo. Right off the bat, not a good feeling to be accused of not being able to pay the bill in full at check out.
Also, she explained there was an additional $18.00 charge for shuttle service (which we never used), and "other amenities" like what? newspaper and wi-fi??? I know of plenty of other hotels that offer that for free. Also, there was a continental breakfast - for a $6. charge! No thank you!!! We waited for the shuttle once, after requesting it at the front desk and no driver ever came out to meet us after our standing on the curb for over 5 minutes. There is no clearly marked entrance and more than just us seemed to be confused about that.
the room was small, the pool was closed (it was SPRING BREAK???) Surely that was not right.
And the bathroom was too tiny to function in - plus no ventilation or fan. Nice.
The spa was nice and the woman we made reservations for a treatment was nice. The massage therapist was nice and gave a good massage. The sugar scrub, however, caused me to break out in a massive rash on my thighs and upper arms the following day. Not sure what was in the scrub... must have been allergic.
We will not be staying there again...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kerry R
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Hotel Santa Fe Soothes the Weary Traveler

Hotel Santa Fe has the healing power to soothe the savage beast that lurks inside the weary traveler. I arrived at the hotel in a fairly disgruntled state and the true litmus test of a great hotel is the ability to change my attitude in a matter of minutes. The warmth and hospitality of the front desk staff, the owner, Paul, the Hacienda Butler, Peter, all conspired to shift my disgruntled mental state to cheerful wellbeing.

My king bedroom in the Hacienda building was very attractively furnished—super comfortable bed and quality bedding. As the only Native American owned hotel in Santa Fe, the furnishings and art work are harmonious and generously displayed— Kiva style fireplace, fine hand crafted furnishings and luxury bathroom amenities. I honestly can’t find one detail that has been overlooked, including New Mexico art books in room.

Pet friendly plus! Owner, Paul’s canine mascot, Herman meets and greets at the front desk and we were offered dog cookies, pet waste bags and a map of the hotel’s Puppy Professional Park (where doggies do their business).

We had a wonderful dinner in the (full)bar section of the Amaya Restaurant where my furry companion was able to join me. Sophie, French restaurant manager adds a cosmopolitan air and European hospitality and new employee, Birdy, made a Cosmopolitan extraordinaire.

Families definitely feel welcome here but there is a wonderful sophistication still to be savored.

In warmer weather, guests are able to relax and enjoy the outdoor swimming pool, hot tub and dining area patio.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
PaulMargetson, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
So very many thanks for your kind and gracious comments and we are all delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay! And Herman thanks you also!!