“Location, location, location”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Location, location, location”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

If you want to pop out of your hotel and be able to visit the Plaza shops and restaurants within a block or two, then you'll be happier at one of the hotels in the city center (Hotel St. Francis, Loretto). For about the same cost, though, you can stay further out of town (less than a mile) and get a Jr. suite at the Hotel Santa Fe. That's what we did, and I'm glad we made that choice. You'll have street noise in either case. Hotel Santa Fe is also close to the railroad district, which it appears they are trying to build up. There is a pretty park nearby which we only discovered on our last day, so be sure to ask where it is, it would have been a nice place to stroll in the morning or evening. Other pros: They have coffee available on every floor beginning at 7 A.M. The pool will accomodate lap swimming, has plenty of seating and a nice hot tub. Free newspapers. Helpful concierge. The shuttle is convenient when you don't want to walk, though we experienced a five to fifteen minute wait the few times we used it. t's convenient to have a restaurant on site, though we actually only ate there once.... because lots of other good options are within walking or shuttle distance. The restaurant has a pretty garden view.
The resort fee is silly, they should just build that into the room rates. Rooms are comfortable, the jr. suite has a nice sitting area and a tiny balcony big enough for one chair. Nice big windows in the bedroom area.

Room Tip: Outside noise seems inevitable based on what I could see. Our third floor room overlooked the pool...
Green Features: They offer free water downstairs and we took advantage of that a lot given the dry climate; we ended up with a stack of plastic glasses in our room and I couldn't find a place to recycle them.
1 Thank Chicago999
PaulMargetson, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Many thanks for such a detailed report. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your recent stay and I am also glad that you made the choice to stay with us.

Whilst we don’t have recycle bins in all of our rooms yet, glass, plastic, etc. is separated and recycled at check out.

chenoho mima téwe yo tha - We thank you for staying with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
Roswell, New Mexico
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I was at the hotel for a conference last January. The staff is tops! The restaurant, while a little on the $$$ side, was excellent and I do recommend at least one meal there. The atmosphere of the hotel speaks of Santa Fe and the city. The hotel is not far from the Plaza, but too far to walk it.

The rooms are spacious and more like a small apartment than a hotel room. I like the use if windows and corners. There was fresh coffee setup each morning on all the floors by the elevators. Get there early as the coffee is supreme and goes quickly! My only complaint was that the bed in my room was against the same wall as the ice machine. My headboard jiggled all night. I had to pull my pillows down and away to avoid a headache. I will most definitely go back to this hotel, but I will request a room away from the ice machines.

Room Tip: Away from the ice machines
Green Features: It was very environmentally conscious up to and including the provided soap - it's had a hole in the middle for greater product usage. Bars can be bought in the gift store. Brilliant idea!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank CTAWilson
PaulMargetson, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
With apologies for the jiggling head board, but thank you for bringing that to my attention and it is already fixed!

Boulder
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This is a very nice hotel. They have live (beautiful) music at night. The rooms are comfortable. I had a two room suite with a desk to work. Very comfortable.

But it did not make for a great business trip hotel. First, I was surprised at an "amenities" charge of $19 per day at check in that was not revealed in booking. This covered the supposedly complimentary internet advertised on the internet, shuttle service and use of the business center.

Aside from the fact that internet was supposed to be complimentary, it was very erratic. It was down for long time periods and when it was on, it was exceptionally slow. Many pages would simply time out rather than download. A bit frustrating on a morning that I had serious work to do. The hotel blamed Comcast, which serves my home and is very reliable. I understand that areas differ, but when I spoke with the front desk, this seems like a chronic problem. I think the hotel's internet infrastructure is insufficient to handle load.

There were two electrical plugs that I could use to charge my computer and phone. Nothing next to the bed so I could recharge my phone overnight and have my phone alarm next to me.

Then the business center was two PCs connected to a printer. No access for Macs at all. No wireless printer.

And the amenity included in the $19 was a free shuttle service that was not that great. The phone number I was given to access it went to my voice mail. Then I was told I needed to go to the front desk to request it and the wait times were so long that it was simply faster to walk to the convention center.

The hotel is lovely, and there were lots of tourists here. I might stay here again as a tourist, but when I travel on business, I need reliable internet.

And I really disliked the surprise $19 per day for amenities that were advertised as complimentary.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a busy street so ask for a room in the back.
Green Features: No plastic glasses! No recycle bins in the room - sad face.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
PaulMargetson, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Please accept my apologies for the internet problems you encountered and indeed we did recently have some significant problems with Comcast for a couple of days!! Furthermore, you are correct that sometimes the load on the system has grown since our last upgrade just 18 months ago and we commissioned a further upgrade ($15,000+!) Just in the last month.

So please do try us again if only as a tourist and many thanks for staying with us!

kowaen mina so thuu puchi - Have a great day!
New Canaan, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 20 July 2014

In Santa Fe for a business meeting, we had the pleasure of staying at the Hacienda at the Hotel Santa Fe. This facility is as elegant and gracious as any I have enjoyed. Pete and the butler staff were very helpful. While the walk to the Plaza is about a mile, after finishing a wonderful meal in town we simply called the hotel and they dispatched a shuttle van to pick us up wherever we were. We especially enjoyed the historical decor - true spirit of the Southwest. The restaurant was also great - indoor/outdoor feeling, and wonderful food, graciously served. We almost forgot it was a business trip because the surroundings of the hotel were so pleasant.

Room Tip: Any room in the Hacienda is wonderful.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
PaulMargetson, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words and I am delighted to know that you had such a peaceful, but albeit business stay.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

We loved our stay at The Hacienda and were completely spoiled by Jess and the butler staff there. Every night we went up to the Lounge and sat on the patio to enjoy the free beer and wine, cheese and crackers. The butlers cater to your every need, keep your glasses filled, and give great concierge advice. The Hacienda was comfortable and inviting. Breakfast every morning was a nice amenity. The breakfast space is a lovely setting.
Turndown service was a nice touch with chocolates on our pillows. We also enjoyed the daily infused water in the lobby (cucumber, orange, etc.)
One of the best aspects of this hotel is the free shuttle service to and from locations in town. All you have to do is request a ride and they drop you right did for free, and then with a quick phone call they come and pick you up. They mostly use taxis like the ones in London but they're purple. We loved the service!
We would definitely return to this lovely hotel.

Stayed July 2014
PaulMargetson, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
And we all hope you will return soon?! Many thanks for staying with us and your kind words are greatly appreciated.

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 18 July 2014

The hotel Santa Fe itself is not quite a four or five star hotel, but very pleasant and convenient walking distance from most of the sights and downtown. I understand the more exclusive Hacienda and Spa attached to the hotel is very, very nice, but it is somewhat confusing when you book where you are actually booking! The Amaya restaurant on site was very good, though our server was pretty lame--never brought the bread, warm water, and kept forgetting us.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony.
2 Thank Ian M
PaulMargetson, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
With apologies for the poor service in our restaurant - not acceptable! Perhaps stay in The Hacienda next time and thank you for staying with us!
York, PA
Reviewed 17 July 2014

July 4, 2014, I stayed here with my husband for one night and really enjoyed our stay. This is a beautiful hotel. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The free shuttle service is great for getting around town. The pool and hot tub were very clean and relaxing. Bottled water is available from the bar or front desk anytime – just ask. Bar of soap had a hole in it to reduce waste; clever and also made it easy to hold on to (see picture). Since we only stayed one night, we didn’t use many of the services available. On our next visit to Santa Fe, we will definitely stay here again.

2 Thank Jennliner
PaulMargetson, Owner at Hotel Santa Fe, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
I am so delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay, but especially the “holey soap”!! We also think it is clever and I personally use it all the time and don’t drop it anymore!