“Charming hotel, nice room, shuttle service when you'd rather not walk”
Review of Hotel Santa Fe

Hotel Santa Fe
Ranked #13 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
GreenLeadersSilver level
Denver, Colorado
“Charming hotel, nice room, shuttle service when you'd rather not walk”
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Santa Fe is a walking town inside the Paseo. Hotel Santa Fe is very near the Paseo on the west side, so quite a walk from the concentration of galleries on Canyon Drive. Fortunately they have an excellent shuttle service, which is also great when you want to have wine or margaritas with your dinner, or avoid paid parking lots a little closer in. Last night our driver made an impromptu stop at the Haagen Daz shop to drop off shuttle passengers who decided they needed dessert. He dropped the rest of us at the hotel and swung back to pick up the ice cream adventurers. Great service! The hotel is charming. A Native American flute player in the lobby lounge on weekend evenings, and coffee/tea station near the elevator on each floor are great amenities. We got a deal on a suite and enjoyed it. Just don't go for the continental breakfast here. It's hard to make oatmeal this bad, even for $11. Otherwise, however, this can be a lovely, more affordable close-in lodging option.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 17 October 2010

I recently completed a 7400 mile journey that included 14 hotels in 11 states. Among many lovely stops along the way, the Hotel Santa Fe was the stand-out hostelry of the entire trip. Another reviewer spoke of how the place lowered his blood-pressure. I can relate. Whether from the helpful but unobtrusive staff, or the quiet, indigenous music wafting through the lobby, or the gentle candle-lit public spaces, there was a distinct air of calm pervading the place. Even the elevator cars' walls were upholstered with carpets with native-designs.

For that matter, nothing seemed to faze the attentive staff: I changed the dates of my reservation mid-stream while on my trip, I asked for advice about taking the Railrunner trains, I needed to have my room made up in mid-afternoon, I wondered about the propriety of walking wet through the lobby from the pool... Each question was handled politely and correctly. By the way, the peaceful outdoor pool and whirlpool were the perfect capstones to a busy day exploring this most compelling of cities.

Though my room was a tad small, it was by no means uncomfortable, and boasted a real balcony with a view of the mountains. (I even left the door open overnight in order to catch the gentle breezes.) Carafes of tasty fresh coffee were kept filled near the elevators on each floor. And the ample lobby breakfast buffet was an especially attractive morning treat.

The hotel is an easy walk to the RailRunner train station (a block away), the New Mexico Capitol (three blocks) or the Plaza (seven blocks), though the distinctive purple hotel vehicles are charming in their own right, and available to take guests around Santa Fe. For me, the Hotel Santa Fe was an ideal place from which to catch an early-morning train to Albuquerque. It was handy to the Railyard shops and Farmer's Market. It was also a convenient spot from which to wander Santa Fe's lovely art-laden sidestreets and alcoves.

NO QUESTION: I have now FOUND my hotel in Santa Fe. After having driven lots of miles, it was like giving myself over to an unexpected and not unwelcome enforced relaxation, that stayed with me even after heading for home. Bravo Hotel Santa Fe!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Louisiana
Reviewed 9 October 2010

Loved our stay at The Hacienda. Wonderful, friendly staff. Great room, very clean. Staff freshens room in the evening, and bring fresh towels.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank nurseshark15
Albany, NY
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Over a four night stay, I was disappointed in this hotel.

Firstly, my room had no refrigerator at a time when this appliance is standard equipment in most hotel and motel rooms. I carry insulin with me along with soft drinks and food. Without a fridge, it was very difficult to keep anything chilled.

Secondly, the bathroom had no fan to circulate the air, an amenity that also is pretty much standard in better hotels.

Thirdly, I found service in the dining room lacking. Sat down one night and after ten minutes of only receiving a glass of water, I got up and left. Apparently the wait staff was too busy conversing among themselves.

And finally, when my recent credit card bill arrived, I found a $7.37 charge for breakfast on it when in fact I hadn't eaten a meal in the dining room in two days. Granted, the amount was not large, but if each guest is charged the same, the fraudulently obtained monies mount up.

The hotel was hard to find, there being no on-street markings for a passing motorist. This may reflect Santa Fe's zoning laws in the downtown area, but is a negative for the first time patron.

I enjoyed my stay, but the above points reflect negatively on a hotel that claims to be first class. Second class is more like it, particularly when the daily room rate of $216 inclusive of taxes is taken into account.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed 7 October 2010

The service at the front desk and the concierge desk was responsive and cordial. From the first step inside the door to our last goodbye, the staff was welcoming, friendly and informed. I had the chance to see two rooms, as I moved to a Jr. suite; the double room and the suite were both so comfortable; had a great view of the swimming pool and jacuzzi in a brightly sunlit suite. Beds were superb.

The decoration and amenities are tasteful and authentic. I was especially delighted by the sculpture and paintings. I am an art professional and was traveling with a group of the same. The dining experience for breakfast and dinner both was as good as it gets. Service and cuisine were excellent values, as they offer a prix fixe dinner menu, too.

I loved the purple vans which took you everywhere on demand within 1 mile radius. So one never had to worry about getting somewhere on time, or being picked up.

The location by the fashionable new Railyard district was great, and also near shopping, restaurants, and walkable destinations.

I regret not having time to use the Spa, but did take advantage of the Yoga lesson, the pool and jacuzzi. I also enjoyed the gift shop and its delightfully well-informed staff. I would happily stay again at this hotel, and would feel like a member of the family returning!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Washington_D_C_Uart
Denver, CO
Reviewed 28 September 2010

This was our first time booking through Hotwire and the room and hotel exceeded our expectations. We arrived way before check in time, but it was no problem at all and we were shown to our room right away. When we got to our room, we found a lovely bowl of fresh fruit and a personalized note welcoming us to the hotel. The butler service was great and the room was one of the nicest we have stayed in. Staff at the hotel are more than gracious and very helpful. We will definately be staying there again in the future!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kvlansdale
Sarasota, FL
Reviewed 27 September 2010

The Hotel Santa Fe was a great choice for our 3 day stay. We booked the bed and breakfast package - it included a full breakfast each morning. We walked to the town square each day; the hotel offers a free shuttle service as well. Our room was quiet and the beds were comfortable. Lots of amenities on site as well as a Native American flute player in the evenings. Only disappointment was no coffee maker in the room - but there was a coffee station in the hall near the elevators. The food was excellent and the staff very friendly!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple