“Beautiful Stay At the Chimayo” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe
Ranked #24 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Albuquerque
“Beautiful Stay At the Chimayo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

We absolutely loved our time at Hotel Chimayo this weekend.

From start to finish: The lobby was beautiful; from the moment we walked in, I found it delightful and welcoming. The fire was blazing & the decor was well chosen. Front desk staff was efficient, friendly, articulate, and genuine.

The elevator took us up to our floor (yes there is an elevator, from garage to top floor, not certain why someone would claim otherwise?) and our door opened onto a truly lovely suite. Again, the decor was well chosen and unique, the carpet deep and comfortable, and the furniture inviting. It smelled fresh and clean, and it passed my not-totally-kidding finger-swipe test, even on top of the television cabinet where no one can see.

We went for drinks at the Low'n'Slow Bar downstairs and had a great cocktail. The manager actually ran up to the restaurant and raided their stores for mint so that we could have mojitos. So many places would just say, "Sorry, it's the dead of winter, we don't have fresh mint." But she went completely out of her way for us, and it was appreciated. And the bar, again, is completely beautiful. The wall combo of troweled plaster above and quilted vinyl below is not only fun and funny, but also perfect for the aesthetic of the place.

It was seriously cold in Santa Fe this weekend, I think the forecast was for a low of 8°F. When we climbed into bed I have to admit that I was dubious as to whether the covers would be keeping us warm enough. The comforter was so warm and yet light, so we didn't feel like we were sleeping under a ton of bricks. And the bed was incredibly comfortable. Great night's sleep.

We will definitely stay at Chimayo again!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank PhotosAndFezzes
Nick S, Director of Operations at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, 15 January 2013
Thank you PhotosandFezzes for this exciting 5-star review!
It sounded like you were able to enjoy all that our hotel has to offer. Even though it was cold, I am sure that our fireplaces and beds were a comfort to have each evening. I an also pleased you had an exemplary experience at the Low n'Slow bar. Our staff goes above and beyond to make everyone feel right at home.

We hope to see you in future when staying in Santa Fe. Give us a call directly and our reservationists will be more happy to assist you.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

We had planned to stay at the Hotel Chimayo for two days but my wife got ill and we thought it best to return to Denver for her to get better. The hotel staff was very understanding and helpful and allowed us to leave without being responsible for the second day that we had reserved. In addition, the facility was outstanding and the staff very helpful. We hope to get back soon.

Mark P and Betsy A.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DenverMtnman
Nick S, Director of Operations at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, 14 January 2013

I am so sorry that you were sick on your vacation. I hope you are feeling better now and the trip back home wasn't too stressful. I am glad you chose to stay with us and hopefully we will welcome you again. Please give us a call for the next trip and we will assist you in making a new reservation. Come back anytime!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2013 via mobile

We had a great experience at dinner. Great for family and a night out with loved ones. I highly recommend it. The bar downstairs seemed like a lot of fun if we had been out without the kids! We will be back.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Rglace
Thanks Rglace for the 5-Star review!

It sounds like you had fun while with us. I hope that you and your family are able to return during the summer months. There is a lot of outside family activities that are steps away from our door. Have a wonderful new year and see you again in Santa Fe!

Lakewood, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2013

We visit Santa Fe every other year and this was our first stay at the Hotel Chimayo (formerly the Hotel Real) because now they take pets! This hotel's location is perfect for getting around Santa Fe; and there is grass nearby (the Plaza and Courthouse just across the street) for our dogs. The hotel is decorated and themed so the guests experience the town of "Chimayo" with lots of crosses and religious statutes. Special lighting is set over the fireplace to enhance the wooden crosses, which we enjoyed (we are retired Catholics). Having a real fireplace in each room was very romantic and cozy. Anthony sets the best fires and gives plenty of wood. The beds spectacular and the linens excellent, and plenty. We had a great experience with all the staff, just sweet, attentive, and genuine people waiting to help us in every way. Our stay could not have been any better. We will definitely be back in the future. Thanks to Nick, Manuel, Daniel, Raquel, Anthony, Bryan and all others who made our vacation a memorable one.

Room Tip: Website needs revamping to show the actual room you want (Oratorio or Santos, etc.). It was confusin...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NMLovers

It's so nice that you love New Mexico! Spread the work up there in Colorado! And we couldn't be happier that you have taken the time to write such a detailed and heartfelt 5-Star review. It seems as though you were able to take advantage of some of unique amenities. I hope your dogs were able to curl up next to you by the fire. Make sure you let us know that you would like a fireplace when returning; not all of our rooms have their own wood-burning fireplace and we want to ensure you get one. Your kind remarks about the individual staff members is truly appreciated. Our staff strives makes sure every guest feel right at home.
We would love to see you return for the warmer months, and I hope you have a great beginning to 2013.

Los Angeles, California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2012

We stayed here for a combination birthday/Christmas vacation. This is a charming hotel and the location was fabulous! The only reason it's not receiving 4-5 stars is because of guest services, which were spotty at best.

We had room 203, which is the only suite with double beds. We requested this particular suite when we made reservations months ahead. On a plus note, we made reservations by phone and the rep was super helpful.

Guest services weren't horrible, everyone was pleasant but seemed inexperienced or improperly trained. When we checked in I asked about help getting our bags upstairs (there is no elevator) and was told there was none available. We (2 women aged 60+) had to drag our heavy bags upstairs by ourselves. The next morning I was at the front desk and the clerk was asking the guest ahead of me if she wanted help with her bags(???!!!!). When I inquired why we were not provided that service, I was told I must not have asked (huh?).

Also, we asked 2 nights for fires to be prepared in the fireplace. The first night a very nice gentleman showed up and started our fire about 2 hours after we requested it (we were told he was running late because he was helping people with their bags!!!). The 2nd time we asked for the fire to be started, we made the request to the front desk 3 times (1 time by phone, 2x in person) and each time was told he would be coming soon. He never showed up. We also requested tea bags at the same time and those never showed up.

At least we got help with our bags going down the stairs on check out. We also asked for extra towels and glasses and did get those from housekeeping. The hotel was fine as long as we didn't need anything from the staff.

Also, the fire alarm went off 2 mornings in a row around 5:30 am. When we called the desk, we were told a guest tried to start their fire themselves and forgot to open the flu. Maybe they should have printed instructions somewhere on HOW to start a fire. Although firewood was provided, no kindling or matches were and no instructions.

Also, the TV is ancient and there are no cable or in-room movie options. It was pretty old and barebones. And the sofa in the living room was rock hard.

On the plus side, parking was convenient (but $14/day is too high for no security), the beds were heavenly, the decor charming, the room super clean, and the location perfect.

BTW, we also stayed at another Heritage Hotel in Albuquerque and the service there was just as bad. It must be a company-wide problem.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Sue J
Thank you Sue J for taking the time write your review on TripAdvisor,

I appreciate that you chose Hotel Chimayo to celebrate your birthday/holiday vacation. I am disappointed that our staff and service did not meet your expectations. Here at Hotel Chimayo, we take pride in our guests and want ensure each every person leaves with the desire to return. I apologize you had to carry your bags in and out of your room; this is something that we should have done for you. The fire service we provide does get busy at times, but your wait time was completely out of the ordinary and I will be looking into this situation personally. I will use these notes you have made as a training tool for my staff to ensure nothing like this will ever happen again.
I hope that you will still consider us when travelling back to Santa Fe. I know we can make your stay unforgettable and memorable and you will leave satisfied. Please give me a call directly on your next trip. Enjoy the new year and send some of that California sun our way!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012

With the snow outside on Christmas Eve night, our hotel room was a pleasant retreat from the cold. The fireplace was an unexpected treat. Our room had every amenity that we needed and wanted. Perfect location! Helpful staff! Loved the hotel's rustic, native American charm. We recommend this hotel to everyone who wants to be close to the Plaza but not subjected to its traffic noise. We had a wonderful time in Santa Fe, in large part to this beautiful hotel and its welcoming staff!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Blake G
Nick S, Director of Operations at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, 13 January 2013
Thank you Blake G!

This is an amazing 5-Star review, and I am happy we were able to share the holiday with you.
It seems like you appreciated our unique design and decor. Our cultural cause here at Hotel Chimayo is giving back a portion of our earnings to the city of Chimayo which is 30 minutes north of Santa Fe. The charm our hotel evokes is merely an echo of the city's vibrant history and traditions. In the future, when you are visiting northern New Mexico, I not only hope you will stay with us but are able to visit Chimayo and see the rich heritage we represent. Have a wonderful start to the new year and see you again!

Las Cruces, New Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2012

I am writing this as a warning to other travelers. We arrived Christmas Eve in the afternoon and did not immediately bring all of our presents upstairs into the room as we had steep stairs to climb into the "loft-type" room we had. Later, we found that someone had stolen all the Christmas presents from the car in the hotel underground garage ($14 charge per night!! and no security or gate). The management was nice and offered free breakfast coupons and a bottle of wine. We then went to eat breakfast there for the next two mornings and received horrible service both times with different waitresses. No water was brought despite frequent requests, no menus were given (we finally grabbed them ourselves) the coffee finally came when the food came out and was never refilled, and she came back numerous times trying to piece back together our order (we were the only table there so it was not too busy). This happened two days in a row and the second day we overheard the waitress bickering with a guest over the 20% discount card they presented. We also had two fire alarms at 5:30AM in the morning (apparently guests tried to start the fire places on their own) and found ourselves both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day in P.J's in the snow outside!!
Overall, I must say the hotel was clean and the beds very comfy, but the rooms were also very drafty.
The hotel reception staff was awesome and super nice, but the horrible breakfast experience would make us probably not want to come back!!
P.S.: I would have like to have included one of many nice pictures I took at this hotel but unfortunately, my camera got stolen at the restaurant next door (The Burrito Company)!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank katja_mayfield
Nick S, Regional Director-Food & Beverage at Hotel Chimayo de Santa Fe, responded to this review, 15 January 2013
Thank you for taking time and writing this review.
I truly apologize for the inconvenience you encountered while dining at our restaurant. Here at Hotel Chimayo, we take pride in our guests and want to ensure that every guest has a great dining experience. Obviously , we by far failed to provide a great dining experience to you.
Your comments are very concerning and have been addressed with the team.
I hope that you will still consider us when travelling back to Santa Fe. I know we can make your stay unforgettable and memorable.
I thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule, its only through valued guests like you who take time to provide us with feedback that we will be able to improvise.

Regards/ Tauseen