“We have stayed at the Water Street Inn at least 8 times, as usual our stay was great.”
Review of Inn at Vanessie

Inn at Vanessie
Ranked #23 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed 30 April 2010

Convenient to the Square and museums and studios. Staff is friendly and very helpful, rooms are fun, spacious and comfortable--couldn't recommend it more highly and will definitely return on our next trip to this special city. Daily breakfast is excellent, other guests interesting and evening gathering informal and enjoyable.
jgm

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Inn at Vanessie

Reviewed 26 April 2010

I was in Santa Fe this past weekend with my mother for her annual "after April 15th" holiday. Since she is a CPA we are always looking for a relaxing place to mainly just hang out, catch up and relax - Water Street Inn certainly fit the bill! We stayed in a great room which had an extra bed so we could both spread out. We lit an amazing little fire in our room two of the nights and even ordered delivery one night to our room and just stayed in with a great bottle of wine. The location was perfect - only a couple of blocks to everywhere: the plaza, the railyard, the museums, and great food. The staff was also amazing!! So helpful in suggesting great places to eat, fun places to visit and answering all our questions. Water Street Inn is defanatly a MUST for any future visit I make to Santa Fe - I now feel like I have a home away from home in NM!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 April 2010

We stayed 2 nights at the Water Street Inn. The room was clean, private and well decorated, bed was very comfortable and had the weather been warmer we would have enjoyed the private patio! However, the hospitality was wonderful and we enjoyed happy hour and great breakfasts with other guests. Location very convenient for old town and railroad district - would definitely recommend and would stay there again!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2010

Every time I return to Santa Fe I opt for the very small Water St. Inn over any of the large hotels. The staff make you feel like family. They cook unbelievable breakfasts every morning in their kitchen and in the evenings @ 6, you are treated to an included happy hour with wine, mango margaritas or sangria, etc along with great New Mexican style cuisine/finger food. The happy hour is outside on their lovely outdoor patio, weather permitting, and you always meet the most interesting people from all across the US. The staff is very helpful and knowledgeable about the arts and local culture; they know what to see and where to go. I love the rooms with viga-beam ceilings, four poster beds and adobe fireplaces (your firewood is always stocked). We stayed in the Galisteo Suite this time (sleeps 3) which had a little sun room and even an outdoor courtyard with bench, chairs and a fountain. Each room is different. I have also liked Room 8 and Room 7 but all are unique and beautifully done. At night, about 10 steps across the parking lot, there is the best piano bar in town. If you want to get away from the big hotel - you'll love Water Street Inn.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 March 2010

This review, better late than never....
Every 2 years my Aunt who lives in Santa Fe, NM has a really nice Holiday Party on Christmas Eve. We have always stayed somewhere else till this visit. To my brother & my surprise when we pulled up, it was next door to out favorite piano/watering hole.
This place was great! It was so home-y and relaxing. When the dinning area wasn’t available the lobby was like sitting in your own living room. All the rooms were different and definitely had their own personalities. I was in room 1 and the only thing it was missing was a fireplace. I was having fireplace envy! However my little patio did have one. It didn’t really serve me; it snowed pretty much the whole time we were there. Oh and at turn down, they would leave fresh baked cookie (not the same as “HH”).
Santa Fe-ians like their “chilies!”...the food was good but spicy. Everything was either fresh or homemade. At breakfast we would have, fresh fruit, some sort of homemade breakfast bread and some sort of eggs. At “Happy Hour” there were wines, cheese, chips, cookies, and something warm. I even think one evening there were margaritas. No sodas though; ‘BYOS’ :). To play favorites, Daisy was my favorite person who worked there. In the A.M. she started your day right & bright and at “HH” she wanted to know how your day went and offered great stories to tell too. My dad told me she was my new step mom…LOL!!!!!
The only thing negative I can say is one of the staff; can’t remember her name and she has long dark hair, is a witch. She seemed really bothered that we were there and kinda snot-ty too. The other three ladies & one guy were great, could not have been nicer and made you feel like you were their family.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 March 2010

This B & B is very well located, an easy walk to the Plaza. It is a charming building, and the rooms on street level with their own private courtyard entrance are especially appealing. Some of the bathrooms are either too small or have inadequate storage or both, and this needs improving. However, these rooms have a lovely indoor porch that looks out to a private patio, and these are really lovely. The indoor porches have a heater so that on a chilly sunny day, one could sit and read and be comfortable.

The Innkeepers were very helpful and were fun to talk with. When I needed an especially early breakfast one day due to business demands, they were very accommodating. The Happy Hour from 5pm to 6pm daily features either wine, sangria, or margaritas and appetizers, which is a lovely way to have a late afternoon snack and relax at the end of a busy day, before going out for the evening. We really enjoyed this!

Upon one's return to the room at night, there is a homebaked goody there waiting, a nice touch as well. The staff is helpful and we felt very comfortable there. This was our second stay, and my husband was sure it was our third, he felt so at home!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 March 2010

I was in Santa Fe for a week, so I wanted something practical and comfortable. Water Street certainly makes a worthy effort to provide comfort. My room was very nicely appointed with mostly antique furniture, lots of storage space, a working fire place, a DVD player and DVDs, a CD player with CDs, books, magazine, tourist guides, etc. The room was clean, and the bathroom area appeared to have been renovated recently.

Breakfast was served in the kitchen, with warm bread or pastry, freshly cut fruit salad and a different warm egg dish each day. I had three different staff working during the course of the week for breakfast, and two were extremely outgoing, friendly, and helpful.

So I really wanted to like WSI more than I did. The issues? Many. It began with the door and locks. My door did not close cleanly and fully -- had to kind of slam it, hold it in, and then deal with BOTH a knob lock and dead bolt. The problem was that the dead bolt was messed up, so it felt like you would break the key -- when you could actually turn it. And this persisted after one of the staff tried to oil it.

Most of the rooms face onto a large parking lot right across from a restaurant/piano bar. From Thursday thru Saturday nights, that place gets crowded, people spill out and make lots of noise, take up most of the parking spaces, and you have to deal with the music in the bar/club that goes on late into the night.

I arrived to find that the internet service was not working -- and apparently there had been some problems for awhile. IT was called the next day, and I was given an alternate connection. This worked fine for a few days, then it started crashing periodically while I was trying to work. One night when I tried to use the computer in the common area I got no signal from the CPU to the monitor, and I was told the next day that there had been problems with the computer, too.

Despite having a floor heater in the room, the bathroom area was consistently cold. Also, there was no heater or drainage on the floor next to the tub, so the mat would get soaked after each use.

A couple of real big problems were that one evening my (and another guest) got less than a couple of minutes of hot water because staff was running the dish washer and laundry at the same time. The other real disappointment was that I came back one day to find that house cleaning had left my room, which was on the ground floor corner, unlocked with the drape over the front door pulled up so everything in my room was exposed. Restocking of toilet paper and fire starters was inconsistent, but the home made cookies/treats that were brought for pillow service were great though one night they were not delivered.

One morning I came up for breakfast and the staff person, whom I had not met, "greeted" me by screaming at the top of her lungs at her dog. She never got around to introducing herself to me.

So, in short, lots of charm and comfort, but some real basic maintenance and management issues based on my experience.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business