“Amazing Stay”

Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder
Ranked #21 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I am a Diamond level HHonors member for 10 years. I have been upgraded many times at many Hilton family properties, but I have never been in a Suite as nice as the one here. The property is amazing. I got up to go to the bathroom about 5:45 AM and noticed the sun was about to come up, and put on the Hilton bathrobe and went out to the balcony - amazing! We walked the property and it is beautiful and filled with native American art. The only meal we ate was the buffet breakfast which included made to order omelets that were very good. This is the only trip I have been on where most of the pictures I took were at and inside the hotel. My grown daughters now want to go there after seeing those pics. A great stay at an amazing property!

Nearby there is an outside Flea Market nearby that we went to for my wife to buy jewlry - she told me she saved me a lot of money. I did enjoy walking through and talking with the artists, many native American. Prices did seem reasonable.

3  Thank kidzmd
There are newer reviews for Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder

Reviewed 21 May 2012

At a little over $100 a night you get a King Suite, a beautiful sunset, great beds, a golf course and a casino. Our experience was excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a "west" view
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jbalas
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Booked our double queen room for less than $100.

I probably shouldn't expect too much since there is a casino attached to this hotel, but our neighbors were way too loud. The weird thing was I could barely hear them talking, but oh my gosh! I could hear doors slamming about every half hour and people running down the hall. And then, at about 4 AM, the alarm clock in the room next to mine went off for who knows how long. And when I informed the front desk, they still took almost 20 minutes to resolve the problem.

In the morning, groggy and disappointed, I inspected the room and bathroom doors. The room door had a half inch gap on the bottom. No wonder I could hear everyone in the hall! And the bathroom door, even if you tried to close it gently, still made a noticeable sound. My neighbors were obviously leaving early in the morning and were simply using the bathroom. It obviously was no one's fault except whoever designed the darn hotel. Definitely not my usual Hilton standards.

But let me tell you....I have never seen such beautiful Native American artwork displayed for free out in the hotel lobby! Wow! The historical value alone was worth driving up here. We're definitely going back.... Hopefully by then they'll put some dampers on the bathroom doors and add something to the bottoms of the room doors to lessen the hallway noise levels. And the beds were so soft...probably why I was able to sleep at all. Beautiful hotel but just a bit noisier than I expected.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 May 2012

We had a gorgeous room (suite) with TWO adobe fireplaces. Two sliders to a nice large balcony with great furnishings. Our bed was very comfortable. We found the food in the casino to be great and enjoyed walking around. The hotel is very updated and we loved our stay here. The pool area looks beautiful but wasn't open at the time we stayed.

Room Tip: Get the rooms with a fireplace - such a nice way to unwind!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank IHeartTravel1978
BTRHiltonManager, Director of Rooms Operations at Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2012

Thank you for staying with us, and taking the time to share about your experience. The weather has warmed up, and the outdoor pool is now open for the season.

Reviewed 16 May 2012

As a loyal Hilton Honors member (Diamond) , I usually have very nice experiances at Hilton properties. On the first night, we did not get the balcony room that we requested, but were told that we had been upgraded. Nice, huge, beautiful room! We ate at the Red Stag and the buffalo tenderloin was probably one of the best meals that I had ever had. Pricey? Yes! Almost $200.00 for my wife and I but hey, we were celebrating our anniversary during this trip.

Two nights later, we decided to drive 50 miles out of our way to stay there again because of the great experiance we had had.

They treated us like crap! Yes I got my king balcony, if you could call it that, We got a room on the ground level with a sliding door. Our room faced the air conditioning/air handling units which gave us no view of anything. It was so depressing that we left the curtians closed. We laid there listening to the constant hum of mechanical equipment. What really upset me was, this room was pretty much the same as the "upgraded" room that we had before, same size, same features. I was obviously lied to during the first stay.

I was so upset that I had been lied to on the first night, and with the room that I was given, that we didn't eat at the Red Stag, which was our plan. Since they treated me like this, there was no way that I was going to give them any more of my money. Being a guest and a repeat guest at that, (not to mention a Hilton Honors guest of the highest level) I would have thought that they would have given us a decent room, not the crappiest one in the joint.

I see where many of the people who are rating and claiming that they are being upgraded. I'll bet they're not. It just sounds good to make you feel all warm and fuzzy. It is a nice hotel, but the operation is shady and underhanded at best!

If you are the manager, I have a requested a call from you through corporate. Call me, you know who I am. I want an apology from you because I caught you doing underhanded games.

Room Tip: Double check the room before getting settled in.
2  Thank Blaine P

Thank you for staying with us, and for being a loyal Hilton Honors member. Your comments regarding your stays are an invaluable gift as we are constantly striving to improve. We hope that we can have you as our guest again, so that we can show you all that Buffalo Thunder has to offer.

Reviewed 14 May 2012

Great hotel. Beautiful decor. Very friendly & helpful staff.

* We were given a room upgrade upon arrival with larger room, fireplace & balcony!

* Beds & lines were good and we slept well.

* The bathroom was spacious, but the shower head dispersed the water justj too much to get a good rinse. And unfortunately, we could not change the setting. So, the shower took longer, which IMHO defeated the water saving feature. Oh well.

* Outdoor pool was closed. The indoor pool was awash with noisy children. So, we opted not to join in the "pee-party".

* Artwork (pottery in particular) was amazing throughout lobby & walkways!

* Only downside to the hotel were the smoky elevators (all three of them!) The Casino is at the bottom of the building and either smokers are indulging while riding the elevators (not likely) or the smoke from the Casino vented right up the elevator shaft (perfect example of why you don't use elevators in a fire!)

But, we very much enjoyed our stay and even signed-up for the Hilton Honors program. Yes, we would stay here again.

Oh, nearly forgot the Casino...
It was just OK. A bit too smoky for us. (Aren't they supposed to have air scrubbers?) While expansive, there were only a few tables beyond the many older video slot machines. All the slots looked like the same game with just a different colors and themes. We were unable to find our favorite video game style machine, Jack Pot Party.

In thinking about it, I would probably lower the overall score due to the casino, but the hotel was still really nice.

Room Tip: Our room facing the golf course was nice & quiet
2  Thank ColoradoBeerMan
Reviewed 13 May 2012

During spring break my family and me went on another road trip. Buffalo Thunder was on our list of places to stay and we finally did. We had to wait for about an hour longer than the front desk had told us originally. There were 8 people and we checked into one room while we waited for the other. While we waited thankfully from others advice if you move the food on the tray or in the fridge in the room it will charge you automatically. It was a close call for me but no extra charges. After both rooms were ready everything got better and I spent most of the night in the pool. Buffalo Thunder is very pretty and the rooms are pretty nice. A little noisy at night time but that is just a small problem. My stay was pretty good and the pool just made my night!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family